GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who are the 3 or 4 players in the mix for the Norris right now?

+5
PKC
M_Christopher
Cap'n Clutch
stempniaksen
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Volchenkov! All time NHL leader in blocked shots. He is the epitome of defenceman.

He just doesn't bring the offence to be considered. There should be a defensive D-man award.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:Volchenkov! All time NHL leader in blocked shots. He is the epitome of defenceman.

He just doesn't bring the offence to be considered. There should be a defensive D-man award.

He's not even the best defensive defenseman on this team to be honest.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:

Oh...that's so highly debatable. He is in my mind - by a fair margin.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:Numbers are important. I'm not a big fan of Mike Green, but his stats and +/- are crazy. Same for Duncan Keith.

Keith, Boyle, and Green.

Green's on basically the same statistical points pace as he was last year, but he's "only" on pace to score 18 goals instead of his mark of 31 last season.

I don't know how much his goal totals played into his selection last season, but this would appear to be a "worse" season.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:

Oh...that's so highly debatable. He is in my mind - by a fair margin.

Phillips is far superior defensively. I'm sorry to say it, but Volchenkov rides off the coattails of Phillips. He's far superior positionally, is better offensively, is faster, stronger and reads the play better than Volchenkov.

While Volchenkov has mastered the technique of blocking shots, it should be noted that Phillips uses superior defensive positioning to angle off shooters and deflect pucks into safe zones.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah Philips is a better player than VOlchie, not even close IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
Phillips is far superior defensively. I'm sorry to say it, but Volchenkov rides off the coattails of Phillips. He's far superior positionally, is better offensively, is faster, stronger and reads the play better than Volchenkov.

While Volchenkov has mastered the technique of blocking shots, it should be noted that Phillips uses superior defensive positioning to angle off shooters and deflect pucks into safe zones.

Again, IMO, this is highly debatable. Believe me, I know what you mean, this is the Phillips I thought we'd have last year, he's come back a long way - and so has the team. I'm certainly not ready to say that Phillips is a better D-man, but he's definitely quicker, has a better pass and sees way more rubber because teams are staying away from Volchenkov's side of the ice, so perhaps it's closer than I originally admitted to.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

But in all honesty and fairness, they SHOULD have two awards for defenceman - one for the most offensive and one for the most defensive.

And they really should rename the old awards.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:But in all honesty and fairness, they SHOULD have two awards for defenceman - one for the most offensive and one for the most defensive.

Absolutely, I wasn't kidding, there should be a defensive D-man award. Call it the Scott Stevens Trophy. Whatever..

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:But in all honesty and fairness, they SHOULD have two awards for defenceman - one for the most offensive and one for the most defensive.

Absolutely, I wasn't kidding, there should be a defensive D-man award. Call it the Scott Stevens Trophy. Whatever..

That would be almost as offensive as the Lay's Mark Messier Trophy for Outstanding Leadership, powered by Pepsi.

Scott Stevens, my Donkey.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:That would be almost as offensive as the Lay's Mark Messier Trophy for Outstanding Leadership, powered by Pepsi.

Laugh1 Okay, whatever, call it something else.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:That would be almost as offensive as the Lay's Mark Messier Trophy for Outstanding Leadership, powered by Pepsi.

Laugh1 Okay, whatever, call it something else.

Not up to me. Probably that fool, Bettman, would call it exactly that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lidstrom is picking up a lot of steam as well recently, he shouldn't be discounted from at least being a nominee.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Lidstrom is picking up a lot of steam as well recently, he shouldn't be discounted from at least being a nominee.

If Lidstrom is nominated, he wins. That's how these awards work.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Lidstrom is picking up a lot of steam as well recently, he shouldn't be discounted from at least being a nominee.

If Lidstrom is nominated, he wins. That's how these awards work.

Why do you say that? He lost vs Chara, there's a lot more here than just handing the award over now that there are such a lot of good broadcasters/sports writers voting. I think Lidstrom could be a PPG man until the end and still be beaten by Keith. Keith is the cog that makes the Chicago game run. He's on pace for 70 points, is really good in his own end and can dictate the tempo of a game.

I think Keith has basically got his in the bag, however, I do think Lidstrom's name should be back in the running for at least a nomination.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum