GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Georgian Luger killed in practice run

+2
M_Christopher
Riprock
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:26 pm

M_Christopher

Sophomore
Sophomore

The Georgian Olympic team is considering withdrawing from the not only the opening ceremonies but the entire Olympics.

Apparently only 8 athletes from Georgia were sent to the Olympics.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

17Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:32 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

M_Christopher wrote:The Georgian Olympic team is considering withdrawing from the not only the opening ceremonies but the entire Olympics.

Sadly now only 7.

That breaks your heart. I really hope they don't withdraw, but I wouldn't blame them one bit.

18Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:37 pm

caissie_1

Veteran
Veteran

Terrible new... Always sad to hear these things even if you dont know them.... I feel for his family and team.

19Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Michallica wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:The Georgian Olympic team is considering withdrawing from the not only the opening ceremonies but the entire Olympics.

Sadly now only 7.

That breaks your heart. I really hope they don't withdraw, but I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Even if they withdraw they should still do the opening ceremonies in honor of their countryman

20Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Michallica wrote:Well they could have had padded steel poles too....I don't know, its easy to criticize after something so tragic takes place. Still, this seems like it could have been avoided.

Will padding really do anything at those speeds? It's no less tragic, but I think it's a result of losing control of the sled.

21Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:52 pm

M_Christopher wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Sadly now only 7.

Even if they withdraw they should still do the opening ceremonies in honor of their countryman

I would like to see his fellow contrymen compete in honour of a fallen teammate but you can't really blame the team for withdraw should they decide to do so.

22Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:13 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

A story from last Saturday where an American luger comments 'When I first got on this track, I thought someone was going to kill themselves.'

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=39462.html?cid=rss

23Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

dennycrane wrote:A story from last Saturday where an American luger comments 'When I first got on this track, I thought someone was going to kill themselves.'

[url=http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=39462.html?cid=rss
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=39462.html?cid=rss[/quote[/url]]

See I just can't understand how they can realistically continue with any event on this track. Its literally suicidal, with all this happening on practice runs, it's gonna be insane during the actual competition.

24Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
Michallica wrote:Well they could have had padded steel poles too....I don't know, its easy to criticize after something so tragic takes place. Still, this seems like it could have been avoided.

Will padding really do anything at those speeds? It's no less tragic, but I think it's a result of losing control of the sled.

Who knows...air bags can't always save lives either, but there is the hope that it will reduce damage. I'm not saying its an airbag that they should have had, but rather they should have had some precautionary measure for such an event. Its described as the world's fastest luge track, how can they not think of the possibility of someone flying off the track? How can they leave something so unprotected as that zone itself?

Again, its easy to criticize and ask questions when something so tragic takes place so don't take this as a cheapshot at the organizers. But for me, that's the most worrisome part at such a grand stage to have something so dangerously exposed. Its the fact that ZERO protection was provided (from what it appears).

25Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:19 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

The organizers look terrible for having such a dangerous track, with tight turns at the bottom, where speeds are higher.

26Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Michallica wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Who knows...air bags can't always save lives either, but there is the hope that it will reduce damage. I'm not saying its an airbag that they should have had, but rather they should have had some precautionary measure for such an event. Its described as the world's fastest luge track, how can they not think of the possibility of someone flying off the track? How can they leave something so unprotected as that zone itself?

Again, its easy to criticize and ask questions when something so tragic takes place so don't take this as a cheapshot at the organizers. But for me, that's the most worrisome part at such a grand stage to have something so dangerously exposed. Its the fact that ZERO protection was provided (from what it appears).

Agreed, I wasn't trying to suggest that padding wouldn't matter so who cares. Certainly every safety precaution should be taken. I agree with womever said that the luge (and skeleton and bobsleigh perhaps) could be in jeopardy for these Olympics.

27Georgian Luger killed in practice run - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgian Luger killed in practice run Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Michallica wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Yeah you'd think with all the advancements in construction, that they'd be able to design a system where IF a luger left the track there would be safety measures in place and the gaint metal post would be further away from the actual track.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum