GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bettman blocked trade of Vinny? TB still interested in moving him?

+5
PKC
SDH89
M_Christopher
dennycrane
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Devo wrote:
Dash wrote:Jeffrey Vinik is offering apparently close to purchasing the Lightning from Koules and Barrie, who had a chance to buy the other out but did not.

Once ownership issues are settled, then trades can happen.

I've heard it was 30million less...that's quite a hit for those two "Cowboys" to take. Hope SAW VII brings in a lot of money.

Looks about right. Bettman has no problems Diddling over existing owners and brokering discounts for his hand-picked buddies.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

The league cannot stop a team from moving a player. A NTC can, but do you think that Vinny is going to stick around where he is not wanted? They could make him miserable if they wanted. Vinny to the Rangers with Kovalchuk.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:The league cannot stop a team from moving a player. A NTC can, but do you think that Vinny is going to stick around where he is not wanted? They could make him miserable if they wanted. Vinny to the Rangers with Kovalchuk.

Doesn't the NHL have to approve every trade ?

I thought it's a formality but I always thought they had the power, same with contracts.

Unless Bettman just called up the parties involved and discouraged them from the deal or something.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Dash wrote:The league cannot stop a team from moving a player. A NTC can, but do you think that Vinny is going to stick around where he is not wanted? They could make him miserable if they wanted. Vinny to the Rangers with Kovalchuk.

Doesn't the NHL have to approve every trade ?

I thought it's a formality but I always thought they had the power, same with contracts.

Unless Bettman just called up the parties involved and discouraged them from the deal or something.

I think it's just a matter of reviewing the terms of the deal and ensuring that there are no violations of the CBA or league regulations.

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

I imagine the league has a veto power, based on a million little terms and details.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I could see Bettman blocking a trade, and in a way I can understand it. Let's say the brilliant minds in Tampa were able to trade Vinny. We already know they traded away Kuba, Boyle, Richards, and then Vinny.

I'm guessing, but the fan base would likely revolt, and I don't think Gary really wanted to be fighting two losing battles trying to sell another team in Tampa which would essentially be a team with little in the way of player assets, and also trying to find someone stupid enough to commit to Phoenix long term.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Devo wrote:I could see Bettman blocking a trade, and in a way I can understand it. Let's say the brilliant minds in Tampa were able to trade Vinny. We already know they traded away Kuba, Boyle, Richards, and then Vinny.

I'm guessing, but the fan base would likely revolt, and I don't think Gary really wanted to be fighting two losing battles trying to sell another team in Tampa which would essentially be a team with little in the way of player assets, and also trying to find someone stupid enough to commit to Phoenix long term.

I'm sure opinions would be divided between the crickets and the tumbleweeds.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's a +1 for amusing me. That's rare, but I laughed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum