GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

LCD TV

+4
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
beedub
Phoenix30
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

Thanks all for the feedback. Its great.

17LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Here's a good deal:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?langid=EN&logon=&sku_id=0926HDS0010123083&CMP=ILC-BBY_hmpg1_slide1

18LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This is a pretty helpful website:

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=hdr;snav

In some cases you'll find that "off" brands like Westinghouse and Vizio provide good bang for the buck.

19LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Take a look at the chart below. At 42" and 12' away you would not get much (if anything) from a 1080p set compared to a 720p set. So I'd recommend to get a good 720p set. Your wife *will not notice*. I'm not trying to be sexist here, bu she will really notice much more how the set looks (when off). Ask her if she would prefer a black set or silver. That will make a bigger difference than the resolution.

Resolution is third on the list of most important characteristics for determining picture quality, and at that size/distance it becomes nearly irrelevant.

You'll save a bundle going with 720p instead of 1080p, which you can, then, add to the budget for your eventual home theatre set.

LCD TV - Page 2 Resolution_chart

20LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the article which uses that chart, by the way:
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

21LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:37 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I play a lot of video games, and I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42 inch.
Depends on the games though. ANd I'm quite the observer.

22LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Most PS3 games I see are 720P, on a 1080P capable machine, so playing it on a 720p tv won't matter too much for gaming. The refresh rate will make the biggest difference.

23LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Of the games I own, Wipeout HD and Killzone 2 are definitely better in 1080p. Uncharted also looks a bit better but not by much.

THe thing is, you buy an HDTV today, most of the products (games, movies), as well as tv shows, are native 720p, so you won't notice a lot of difference. But it will change in the next years, and if I buy a TV today, I certainly buy it for the next 5 years at least, so might as well be prepared.

24LCD TV - Page 2 Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah I totally agree, I would definitely go 1080P for sure.

If you go into a store like BestBuy and see them all on display, just be careful that when comparing, to take into consideration that the TV's might be configured differently to sell you on a TV.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum