GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

LCD TV

+4
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
beedub
Phoenix30
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1LCD TV Empty LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy my 1st LCD HD TV and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I am looking to buy either a 42 or 46 inch so I can mount it on the wall. I am open to spending up 1500.00. Now cheaper the better of course but I want to get the best bang for my buck...Thoughts

2LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:48 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Phoenix30 wrote:Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy my 1st LCD HD TV and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I am looking to buy either a 42 or 46 inch so I can mount it on the wall. I am open to spending up 1500.00. Now cheaper the better of course but I want to get the best bang for my buck...Thoughts

The Toshiba Regza line are a tremendous bang for the buck. Thier 1080p line is phenomenal, without the big ticket of the Sonys or the Aquos line

3LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:51 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010128061&catid=28398&PCName=tv_sharp&logon=&langid=EN

This is IMO the best bang for the buck 46" LCD on the market.

It's a bit more expensive than your budget, but I highly recommend it.

Or you can take the 40" version:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010128064&catid=

4LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:55 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:

The Toshiba Regza line are a tremendous bang for the buck. Thier 1080p line is phenomenal, without the big ticket of the Sonys or the Aquos line

I have a little problem with their black level. It looks kinda grey.
And I also don't really see the 240hz difference that they mention on some of their TVs.

5LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:59 pm

i have a 42 in sharp. it's amazing... don't get suckered into getting the top/newest model out there . you should be able to get something very good for 999 before tax.

6LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:31 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

marakh wrote:http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010128061&catid=28398&PCName=tv_sharp&logon=&langid=EN

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010128064&catid=

Actually, if you don't mind the short drive across the border to Messena, NY, you can buy this puppy for $1279 USD. All you gotta do is pay GST and PST when you come back through.

7LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010128061&catid=28398&PCName=tv_sharp&logon=&langid=EN

That's a LED-backlit set, which explains the price. The LED sets still have LCD panels, but they used LED for the backlight. LEDs produce more light, with less electricity, in a smaller form factor. This means the TVs are much thinner, run cooler, lower power consumption, and can produce much better blacks (higher contrast ratio).

They *will* come down in price.

I have to ask the OP about the usage. Is this going to be the main set or a secondary one (like a bedroom set)? How close will you sit from it?

If you are not going to be using it for a home theatre and not sitting close-enough to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, then you might as well save some money.

If, however, this will be your main set, then spend a little more and avoid being disappointed later.

8LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:
beedub wrote:

I have a little problem with their black level. It looks kinda grey.
And I also don't really see the 240hz difference that they mention on some of their TVs.

That particular model is a "LED TV" (I put quotes because it's really an LCD set with LED lighting) should give you much better blacks.

By the way, with LCDs, make sure you are at the right angle when checking the contrast. It can be really washed out if you're watching it too much off center (ignore those "178 degree viewing angle" claims). Make sure the bracket you get tilts and swivels.

9LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:52 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The 240 Hz is only necessary if you want to watch 3D movies (24 fps, with a left and a right image means you have to display 48 different frames, which won't work with 120 Hz). 120 Hz is fine otherwise.

10LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:28 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

DirtyDave wrote:i have a 42 in sharp. it's amazing... don't get suckered into getting the top/newest model out there . you should be able to get something very good for 999 before tax.

Ive got a 42" Sharp as well... Beauty.

11LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

caissie_1 wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:i have a 42 in sharp. it's amazing... don't get suckered into getting the top/newest model out there . you should be able to get something very good for 999 before tax.

Ive got a 42" Sharp as well... Beauty.

I have a 46 Toshiba, only the 720p one and I love it.

12LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:

That's a LED-backlit set, which explains the price. The LED sets still have LCD panels, but they used LED for the backlight. LEDs produce more light, with less electricity, in a smaller form factor. This means the TVs are much thinner, run cooler, lower power consumption, and can produce much better blacks (higher contrast ratio).

They *will* come down in price.

I have to ask the OP about the usage. Is this going to be the main set or a secondary one (like a bedroom set)? How close will you sit from it?

If you are not going to be using it for a home theatre and not sitting close-enough to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, then you might as well save some money.

If, however, this will be your main set, then spend a little more and avoid being disappointed later.

I guess it would help that the TV would be for the bedroom but will be used semi regular as we only have one other and the wife wants a place to retreat too. The bed room isnt that big but we would probably be about 10-12 feet away from it. I was thinking no either 40 or 42in

I figure once the basement is done then I want to spend some good money for the primary tv but at the sametime I need to upgrade our little 24 inch thats already in the bedroom.

Last edited by Phoenix30 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

13LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks all for the feedback. Its great.

14LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Here's a good deal:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?langid=EN&logon=&sku_id=0926HDS0010123083&CMP=ILC-BBY_hmpg1_slide1

15LCD TV Empty Re: LCD TV Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This is a pretty helpful website:

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=hdr;snav

In some cases you'll find that "off" brands like Westinghouse and Vizio provide good bang for the buck.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum