GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mike Danton to make a return to hockey

+2
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mike Danton to make a return to hockey Empty Mike Danton to make a return to hockey Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As per TSN...

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305708

"Danton has been cleared by the president of St. Mary's University to enroll at the school, and when that process is complete, the forward is expected to play hockey for the university."

Interesting.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sounds like an up and comer. I wonder if he would be a fit in Ottawa?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I was honestly surprised to hear that someone could play CIS sports at 29.

I hope he works out and eventually finds his way back to the NHL. When he was interviewed by Kypreos, Steve said that he looked really good on skates for someone who spent 5 years in prison.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Sounds like an up and comer. I wonder if he would be a fit in Ottawa?

Laugh1

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Sounds like an up and comer. I wonder if he would be a fit in Ottawa?
He'll have to re-enter the draft...

He was a role player at best wasn't he? My bet is noone in the NHL touches this felon with a ten foot pole. There are plenty of role players around. He'd have to do something pretty special to get back to the NHL imo. Europe perhaps?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I can't see him cracking an NHL line-up. But hey, you never know.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He really seems like he needs some more help with mental issues. As far as his Hockey career I agree with the idea that his best hope is Europe. If he really wants a shot at the NHL then it's AHL for him at best and then play his arse off and hope for about 20 injuries.

- Unknown Author

9Mike Danton to make a return to hockey Empty Re: Mike Danton to make a return to hockey Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:32 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Danton has been cleared to play at St. Mary's University.

HALIFAX — Correctional officials have cleared former NHL player Mike Danton — who was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder — to move to Halifax and play university hockey, the athletic director at Saint Mary’s University said Wednesday.

Steve Sarty said Danton, who lives in Toronto, will join the university’s hockey team after his arrival, expected within days.

But Danton won’t be suiting up with the Huskies right away, Sarty said.

“It’s more important for us to get him acclimatized to school, used to the routine,” he said.

“When he lands here it’s going to be a bit of an abnormal situation, so we just want to make sure he’s comfortable and has some sense of normalcy.”

Sarty said coach Trevor Stienburg, who has yet to see Danton skate, will make the call on when he starts.

The Saint Mary’s Huskies are ranked eight nationally and even though the players are accepting of their new teammate, Stienburg has to consider chemistry, Sarty said.

“The team is doing really well right now, so he wants to make sure that it’s a fit on the ice,” said Sarty.

“The players are behind this and they know that if Mike Danton has a position, somebody else is going to have less ice time.”

The Correctional Service of Canada won’t comment on specific cases such as Danton’s, but an agency spokeswoman said it is generally supportive of anyone trying to reintegrate into society by returning to school.

Danton, 29, has completed some correspondence courses from Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont., and has enrolled in three sociology courses at Saint Mary’s.

A return to the NHL is unlikely because his criminal record would prevent him from returning to the United States.

He scored 10 goals in 92 games with the St. Louis Blues and New Jersey Devils over the course of his short NHL career.

Danton was released from a U.S. prison in March of last year after he was convicted in 2004 in a murder-for-hire plot. He returned to Canada and was granted full parole last September after admitting to the National Parole Board the target of the plot was his father.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum