GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Blog up at Crash the Crease

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.crashthecrease.com/2009/11/25/ryan-keller-gets-the-call-to-ottawa-other-quick-thoughts/comment-page-1/#comment-13337

I told you I'd give GMHockey a shout out in this one. Ahhhhh!

Ryan Keller will get his chance to play an NHL game soon – if not tonight. This is a nice story for fans who followed Keller and his drive to get into the NHL. As an undersized forward, Keller has had to fight his way through adversity the whole time. Admitting that it was hard to see guys get drafted before him because of his size, he never let that stand in the way of his dream of playing NHL hockey, instead it inspired the 25 year old to go to the Finnish league – and subsequently catch the eye of Bryan and Tim Murray of the Ottawa Senators. He scored 44 points in 47 games in his first year, then upped that production to a point-per-game in his second season (55 point, 54 games). In 20 games for the Binghamton Senators this year, he notched 13 goals and 9 assists, good enough for the team lead and 5th overall in AHL scoring.

Also good enough to get the call to come on up to Ottawa to play some NHL hockey. Now…why was he called up? That’s the question right now. By the time you read this, that should be settled. It’s one of a handful of things that could’ve happened.

1.Jason Spezza could be drawing out of the lineup. It seemed apparent to most watching the last few games that he’s playing well under 100%.

2.Jonathan Cheechoo is being scratched – and really – it should be this. He’s been nothing more than average and as hard as he works, it simple can’t make up for the fact that he can’t skate any more.

3.Alex Kovalev is not coming back this week. We know he’s not coming back tonight, but perhaps he’s out longer than originally thought being with his wife and family after the death of his mother-in-law.

4.I can’t imagine it’s Shannon or Regin getting scratched – both player have been healthy scratches lately – and both players came back strong against the Capitals. Again – I can’t imagine.

5.There has been – or will be imminently – a trade. The rumours of Cam Barker for Picard, Shannon and a pick won’t go away. I personally, hope that’s not the case.

All of this leads to some positives. Keller has been fantastic and he deserves it 100%. Next up is St.Pierre – a guy who’s 1 point behind Keller and 6th overall in AHL scoring. He’s a very serviceable NHL call-up when need be and he shows a lot of passion and character for an even smaller guy than Keller. In short – sign with the Sens, we’ll give you the chance!

As far as the Cam Barker rumours…I talk a lot about rumours on GMHockey.com – where I‘m guilty of talking hockey ALL the time – but I’m not sure how accurate these rumours are.

For example: why would Chicago risk losing a player or Barker’s caliber right now? What if one of their top 4 defenders gets injured? Wouldn’t they rather Barker step into the role than Sopel? And speaking of Sopel, why not just bite the bullet and waive him? Everyone expects them to, why trade a guy like Barker now when you can make someone overpay in the summer?

I’ve heard Sharp’s name out there as well and I further ask, why? Why would they do that? They’re cap compliant right now – and they’ll be perfect if they jettison Sopel, so why are we talking Cam Barker?

Perhaps Bowman and co. see Picard as a cheaper and almost as effective a player as Barker (800K vs 3.1 million) and they see Shannon the way some of us in Ottawa see him: a fast, slippery player who is actually quite talented. Or perhaps they want those two pieces and a 2nd round pick to get rid of Sopel and Barker – but there would go their depth.

Not sure who it is and why, but I would say none of the names are available – unless it’s Sopel.

As for Ottawa’s play recently – they’re on a roll. If it’s not Mike Fisher causing other teams fits, it’s Daniel Alfredsson or Milan Michalek, or Filip Kuba, or the very same Alex Picard. The team appears to be comfortable with each other and with the coach’s plan for them. They know their roles and most importantly – they believe in each other – something absolutely and positively refreshing.

As for Pascal Leclaire…I feel very badly for him, but it gives Brian Elliott a REAL chance in making his mark in the NHL, so with the bad comes the positive.

2New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Elliott will need to be really good over this stretch. Especially if Fisher is out for more than a game or two.

- Unknown Author

3New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:44 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Elliott will need to be really good over this stretch. Especially if Fisher is out for more than a game or two.

Fisher has been really good but he certainly isn't carrying the whole team. If Spezza and Alfredsson are even slightly better that'll make a big difference.

4New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:50 pm

I would defently say Fisher has been carrying the team, at least up front.

5New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:I would defently say Fisher has been carrying the team, at least up front.

Yes you would. New Blog up at Crash the Crease 235689 New Blog up at Crash the Crease 805406

6New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:54 pm

haha, yaya, but he has man. He's been the best forward on the ice almost every night. Him and Michalek really are two players that I love.

7New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Elliott will need to be really good over this stretch. Especially if Fisher is out for more than a game or two.

Fisher has been really good but he certainly isn't carrying the whole team. If Spezza and Alfredsson are even slightly better that'll make a big difference.

Fisher is not only a big part of the offense. He's also kickin' arse on Face-offs and he is a big part of the PK and PP.

- Unknown Author

8New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:56 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

How would we afford Barker anway if he's making $3M? That's a good question, no?

Surely moving Shannon and Picard and a pick isn't going to clear the space needed to get Barker in. Doesn't make sense at all.

I think Fish is out...he looked uncomfortable for the whole Caps game and then went into the boards feet first pretty hard.

9New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:56 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

nice blog SpezD

10New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:57 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Oh...I didn't realize Fish being out was official.There you have it. BOO!

11New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:59 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Really?

Michalek-Spezza-Shannon
Foligno-Regin-Alfredsson
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Cheechoo-Winchester-Keller

I'm sorry, but why is Shannon on the top line again? And I'm not saying that to be mean in any way, it just seems odd..

12New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SDH89 wrote:nice blog SpezD

Thanks! This one was as quick as I could do it to be honest, but it's probably new to people who read over there (not so new to people here though Wink )

13New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:How would we afford Barker anway if he's making $3M? That's a good question, no?

Surely moving Shannon and Picard and a pick isn't going to clear the space needed to get Barker in. Doesn't make sense at all.

I think Fish is out...he looked uncomfortable for the whole Caps game and then went into the boards feet first pretty hard.

That would do it with a little cap space to spare (and less depth too).

14New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:06 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Fisher is not only a big part of the offense. He's also kickin' arse on Face-offs and he is a big part of the PK and PP.

A big part, but not the only part. Hopefully the others can pull together and make up for his absence.

15New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:08 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:How would we afford Barker anway if he's making $3M? That's a good question, no?

That would do it with a little cap space to spare (and less depth too).

Me no likey, no likey at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum