GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Blog up at Crash the Crease

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.crashthecrease.com/2009/11/18/leclaire-saves-sens-bacon/

If not for Pascal Leclaire – someone who I’ve been highly critical of lately – the Sens would not have beaten the Leafs in regulation. They might not have beat them at all actually. Now, some would argue that the Leafs are an abomination of a team, re-building, but in a confused way by dealing their next two first round picks and a second rounder for Phil Kessel. I’m not sure I would agree with that. While I don’t think they’re going to challenge for Lord Stanley’s Cup anytime soon, they’re far from the deplorable team that sits second last in the Eastern Conference.

But one thing you can’t argue with: they sit second last in the Eastern Conference. So, the Sens defeated a cellar dwellar by the skin of their teeth, needing a miraculous performance by Leclaire – in the third period particularly – to escape with the W. Alex Kovalev was instrumental in the win – and really, how many times have Sens fans been able to say that this year? He made two top notch passes that ended up on Mike Fisher’s stick for goals, he was dominant at times and merely good at others, but he wasn’t his usual bored-looking self for this game. Sens fans can only hope and pray that this is a sign of things to come. Both Kovalev’s performance and Leclaire’s as well, because without these two guys firing on all cylinders, the Senators will find themselves buried by late December. Too many quality opponents coming up, too little talent of the back end.

Major kudos go to the so-called fourth line of Ruutu-Kelly-Donovan. Yes, they’re well paid at over 4 million for the three of them, but they brought it last night – big time. They play with energy, they play with verve – and as we’ve all seen, that energy trickles down throughout the lineup. If only it would have trickled down (or up) to the top line of Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson. Michalek actually had a wonderful game. He blew by Leafs defenders on more than one occasion and scored a nifty re-directed goal to make it 2-2 after the Leafs had forged ahead, but Spezza and Alfredsson looked like they were a step behind everyone else. Which is both impressive that the Sens won without them playing at their peak – and a little disconcerting that they seemed so out of whack.

The positives still outweigh any negatives though. Mike Fisher is playing his best hockey in recent memory – already scoring his 9th goal. Last year at this time he was wondering if he’d notch 9 goals the entire season. He’s aggressive, he’s pushing himself into positions to accept passes and he’s finishing as evidenced by his second goal of the night, scored from the left side of the ice on an absolute bullet of a shot over Toskala’s shoulder. Nick Foligno adds some grit and skill to that line as well, something that may have been lacking with Jonathan Cheechoo there. Speaking of which, if there’s one guy who looks like he may not be able to get things back on track, it’s Cheechoo. I’m starting to genuinely feel badly for him.

Peter Regin was taken out of the lineup for his lack of physicality – and it didn’t help that he hadn’t found the scoresheet since a shoulder injury weeks ago. In his place came Jesse Winchester – and he wanted everyone to know – including his coach, that he was pissed at being a scratch. He hit, he fought (don’t do that again Finger, now you know) and he competed – hard. That’s all coach Cory Clouston wants right now, compete levels to be off the charts and the team to pick each other up, and they certainly did that for the most part last night. Ruutu made Schenn’s life hell, Neil made Schenn eat some fist, bodies were flying, there were four fights. It was the kind of exciting game that had people talking all over the NHL, so if you missed it, this write-up probably won’t do it any justice at all.

I finish with a plea to our coach: please don’t put Kuba and Phillips together on defense any more. I can’t take it. Kuba cannot play left defense, he’s a good player, but he looks ridiculous out there right now. Same applies for Phillips. He looks meek, sad and forlorn that his partner Anton Volchenkov is out (back Saturday thank the heavens!!). For goodness sake, try this:

Phillips – Lee
Kuba – Picard
Campoli – Carkner

Or some semblance of that.

2New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

yeah winni was fun to watch.

3New Blog up at Crash the Crease Empty Re: New Blog up at Crash the Crease Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:yeah winni was fun to watch.

He sure is.

Next blog I'm sneaking in GMHockey.com. They don't care over there. Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum