GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Soccer - 23 years later, another Controversy

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

This is the news of the day, sports-wise.
Last Day of the Qualification for the WOrld Cup in South Africa 2010.
We all remember Maradonna's hand goal in the Quarterfinals 1986 that sent them to the Semis, and they eventually won the Cup.
Last night, France and Ireland fought for 1 spot, and this was eventually the game winner (replay near the end of the video):

So, 23 years later, and the FIFA still doesn'T allow VIdeo reviews Soccer - 23 years later, another Controversy 489887

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It looked like two hand balls. Both players seem to reach out and then draw back. Hard to see even on replay -- does the ball change direction?

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

marakh wrote:This is the news of the day, sports-wise.
Last Day of the Qualification for the WOrld Cup in South Africa 2010.
We all remember Maradonna's hand goal in the Quarterfinals 1986 that sent them to the Semis, and they eventually won the Cup.
Last night, France and Ireland fought for 1 spot, and this was eventually the game winner (replay near the end of the video):

So, 23 years later, and the FIFA still doesn'T allow VIdeo reviews Soccer - 23 years later, another Controversy 489887

Amazing, the world's most popular sport and no video review. Clearly a hand ball.

Wow, that's pretty blatant, with the benefit of replay. Football could definitely use instant replay but alas, FIFA is a corrupt POS.

wprager wrote:It looked like two hand balls. Both players seem to reach out and then draw back. Hard to see even on replay -- does the ball change direction?

I thought it was two as well. The first player then Henry. There is no doubt that Henry touched the ball with his wrist/hand, but the first player the might be questionable. Also, the play could probably have been called offside.

Man, the more I watch this the more ridiculous it seems. This goal was scored in the 13th minute of injury time??????

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That was unbelievable... off-side AND a hand ball leads to a goal.

Brutal.

In a qualifier... very bad.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:Man, the more I watch this the more ridiculous it seems. This goal was scored in the 13th minute of injury time??????
It was over time. A few more minutes and it would have been a shoot out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I watched a bit more and they clearly show that it was offside. That said, it's a stupid rule -- absolutely no way to call it correctly without the tech that they had shown in the clip (drawing the line that clearly shows the forward ahead of all the defenders). And even then, it's the position of the forward at the time the pass is made -- what if either the passer or the receiver is off-camera at the time the pass is made? Hockey offside rules would be much easier to do in soccer.

shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:Man, the more I watch this the more ridiculous it seems. This goal was scored in the 13th minute of injury time??????

No, it wasn't. The score was 1-0 for Ireland at the time, which happened to be in injury time. 13 minutes is alot of injury time. This goal tied the game.

wprager wrote:Oh, I watched a bit more and they clearly show that it was offside. That said, it's a stupid rule -- absolutely no way to call it correctly without the tech that they had shown in the clip (drawing the line that clearly shows the forward ahead of all the defenders). And even then, it's the position of the forward at the time the pass is made -- what if either the passer or the receiver is off-camera at the time the pass is made? Hockey offside rules would be much easier to do in soccer.

Are you sure it's when the pass was made? I thought the ball had to pass by the offside "line" before the attacking player, regardless of where it's coming from, which this play wasn't. Hockey offside rules would create even less in the way of goals imo. The sliding offside rule is great imo, but there should be the option to review.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:

No, it wasn't. The score was 1-0 for Ireland at the time, which happened to be in injury time. 13 minutes is alot of injury time. This goal tied the game.

It was overtime. Actually, this was the 2nd game, because the 1st game was won by France by 1-0. So Ireland was leading 1-0 last night. Overtime decided the team that would go to the World cup.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:

It was an aggregate score... 1-0 was a "tie" based on the number of goals each side had scored in games that factored in.

Confusing... yes... but it's the way qualifiers work.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:Oh, I watched a bit more and they clearly show that it was offside. That said, it's a stupid rule -- absolutely no way to call it correctly without the tech that they had shown in the clip (drawing the line that clearly shows the forward ahead of all the defenders). And even then, it's the position of the forward at the time the pass is made -- what if either the passer or the receiver is off-camera at the time the pass is made? Hockey offside rules would be much easier to do in soccer.

Are you sure it's when the pass was made? I thought the ball had to pass by the offside "line" before the attacking player, regardless of where it's coming from, which this play wasn't. Hockey offside rules would create even less in the way of goals imo. The sliding offside rule is great imo, but there should be the option to review.
It's when the ball is kicked... they have to be on-side at that moment.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

There'S a new rule in soccer. Thierry Henry was the first guy to get the ball, and he was not offside when the ball was kicked. If one of the 2 guys that were offside got the ball, it would have been offside.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum