GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meszaros and Murray at a stand still

+8
Mosky
Cap'n Clutch
Acrobat
Cronie
wprager
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 16]

106Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:48 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
1. Well, there's zero chance that Karlsson (unless you mean Mattias and not Erik?) will play for us this year. Erik is a good 2-3 years away from making the team and we don't even have him signed to an entry-level deal yet.

2. Definitely not. While I'd love to have him, we have no room for him and offence up front is not our main problem. If we're looking to deal with Minny, my guess is we're going after a D; after all, they've got 8 under contract at the moment, and they don't exactly have much offence up front to trade away. One of Johnsson, Foster, and Skoula all seems like the likely target -- unfortunately.

3. Maybe Cory Murphy in FLA, who is rumoured (according to Panthers' blogger Dan Speigel) to be available. But I'm just specuating / hoping. Smile

Yeah, it's more likely for Jarko Ruutu to score 50 goals than for us to get Gaborik. It makes very little sense from any POV. The only way I could see it happening would be if Murray doesn't think the blueline has the proper puck moving abilities and acquires Gaborik to compensate for lack of production/passing skills from our backend. Or if he thinks Gerber/Auld are gonna suck and he gambles that by adding Gaborik to a lineup that already has Spezza, Heatley, Aflie etc. hoping they'd outscore opponents. But, it's completely unrealistic to think that he'd come here, I have no idea whatsoever why Eklund ran with that.

Johnsson is really expensive and has been average at best post lockout. For 5 million bones, I would much prefer getting my hands on Schneider. His salary's just too big IMO, so he's out too. Skoula's overkill IMO. We already have enough shutdown guys.

Cory Murphy would be good. Very Uh OH!-esque. I'd be in favour of that move personally, but he's got such little experience...might as well see what Nycholat can do. Still wouldn't mind Murphy and his little salary.

107Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:56 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dawg wrote:Seeing as part of what's being speculated on is partly what I've written let me comment.

Why does the "sniper" that ottawa would trade for mean that it's a high profile player with a big contract? I've already stuck my neck out by saying some things, but I'm here to make it public, that my original post in no way was referencing Gaborik. I have told a couple of people privately that too many Sens fans have blinders on when looking at a top 6 forward.

All too often when people talk about a top 6 foward they start to throw around contract values of 4-6 million a year. The player I've heard in fact most people wouldn't consider a sniper, but when you watch him play he is. This player doesn't have a large contract, and if Ottawa were to trade for him I seriously think playing with Alfie would catapult him into the top 6 standing that he and several scouts I know believe he is.

As for Lee and Nycholat, why do so many people doubt their abilities. The calibre of play at the AHL level is far above where it was 10 years ago and now player who are successful in the 'A' are far better prepared to play in the NHL. Further to that you have a training staff and a system in Bingo that is very very similar to how things are run in Ottawa. Players are more able to make a jump when there are not as many changes in their routine. Further to that people need to take a step back and remember who your coach is now and what his strengths are.

This next part is purely my personal opinion and in now way reflects the opinions of my employer.

I think you're going to find that in Hartsburg you have a coach that no only will change the system in Ottawa to make them more responsible, but will help Philips and Anton return to their shut down form. Further I will not be surprised to see Lee, Schubert and Nycholat stepping up their game significantly under his guidance. I for one thing Nycholat is not only capable of replacing Wade Ringo in Ottawa, but actually improving the level of play that his absence has brought to the team.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to Madden 09
Dawg

I very much appreciate you putting your arse out there and posting. It's a great analysis - and at one point a lot of us were convinced Nycholat could do it, so I guess we'll find out.

As for the top 6er, it's so intriguing...damn you! Sad The only reason I would've ever had my sites set on a big ticket guy would be because we seem to have the grit already, we need a little finesse up there. If I was to guess who you were talking about...wow...Derik Armstrong would be an awesome guy to bring in, but he's a center and I'm not sure if he can play wing. Mike Knuble would be great too, but I can't see Philly rushing to send him our way. Eric Belanger would be awesome, but he's a center again. I want Mike Grier so bad I could poop my pants...man, I hope we can nab him. I dunno, but it gets the wheels turning a little.

Thanks again!

108Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:27 am

Acrobat

Veteran
Veteran

Dawg wrote:All too often when people talk about a top 6 foward they start to throw around contract values of 4-6 million a year. The player I've heard in fact most people wouldn't consider a sniper, but when you watch him play he is. This player doesn't have a large contract, ...

This is in part what I was questioning in my last post (above, or on the last page, depending on where this lands). Murray has a history of scouting well, and he doesn't like to overpay for players (in trade or in salary); he may be about to uncover another gem (or two...)

I wonder about Nycholat, though. I haven't seen enough of him to feel comfortable relying on him as anything more than a 5/6 D, and I am not sure that he is the PMD that we need.

109Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:54 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Dawg wrote:Seeing as part of what's being speculated on is partly what I've written let me comment.

Why does the "sniper" that ottawa would trade for mean that it's a high profile player with a big contract? I've already stuck my neck out by saying some things, but I'm here to make it public, that my original post in no way was referencing Gaborik. I have told a couple of people privately that too many Sens fans have blinders on when looking at a top 6 forward.

All too often when people talk about a top 6 foward they start to throw around contract values of 4-6 million a year. The player I've heard in fact most people wouldn't consider a sniper, but when you watch him play he is. This player doesn't have a large contract, and if Ottawa were to trade for him I seriously think playing with Alfie would catapult him into the top 6 standing that he and several scouts I know believe he is.

As for Lee and Nycholat, why do so many people doubt their abilities. The calibre of play at the AHL level is far above where it was 10 years ago and now player who are successful in the 'A' are far better prepared to play in the NHL. Further to that you have a training staff and a system in Bingo that is very very similar to how things are run in Ottawa. Players are more able to make a jump when there are not as many changes in their routine. Further to that people need to take a step back and remember who your coach is now and what his strengths are.

This next part is purely my personal opinion and in now way reflects the opinions of my employer.

I think you're going to find that in Hartsburg you have a coach that no only will change the system in Ottawa to make them more responsible, but will help Philips and Anton return to their shut down form. Further I will not be surprised to see Lee, Schubert and Nycholat stepping up their game significantly under his guidance. I for one thing Nycholat is not only capable of replacing Wade Ringo in Ottawa, but actually improving the level of play that his absence has brought to the team.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to Madden 09
Dawg
O'Sullivan for Meszaros ????

110Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:
Dawg wrote:All too often when people talk about a top 6 foward they start to throw around contract values of 4-6 million a year. The player I've heard in fact most people wouldn't consider a sniper, but when you watch him play he is. This player doesn't have a large contract, ...

This is in part what I was questioning in my last post (above, or on the last page, depending on where this lands). Murray has a history of scouting well, and he doesn't like to overpay for players (in trade or in salary); he may be about to uncover another gem (or two...)

I wonder about Nycholat, though. I haven't seen enough of him to feel comfortable relying on him as anything more than a 5/6 D, and I am not sure that he is the PMD that we need.

As I've said on here before and hopefully someone else remembers this but, Nycholat was supposed to get a really hard look last season and they were expecting him to make the jump before getting injured in training camp or preseason. That killed his opportunity for 07/08. I'm hopeful he can make the jump this season and his work in Bingo gives me encouragement.

- Unknown Author

111Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:57 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote: O'Sullivan for Meszaros ????

Love O'Sullivan but... I don't want Mezzy going anywhere unless we have a clear plan of action to get another offensive D / PP QB / puck-mover ASAP.

Although, for what it's worth: Eklund is "reporting" that the Blues are talking to LA about O'Sullivan, and says they'd be looking for "a defenceman of equal value" for him...

112Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:08 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
As I've said on here before and hopefully someone else remembers this but, Nycholat was supposed to get a really hard look last season and they were expecting him to make the jump before getting injured in training camp or preseason. That killed his opportunity for 07/08. I'm hopeful he can make the jump this season and his work in Bingo gives me encouragement.

I never really understood what happened with our D at the start of last year. We picked up Luke Richardson late in the summer (Aug 8th), at which time, presumably, Nycholat wasn't injured. So did we pick Richardson up with the intention that he would be a 7th defenceman, and that Nycholat would be out 6th, or that the two would compete for the one spot? If so, then Nycholat's September injury explains why Richardson started the season with us... but why did he never get a shot all season long at that 6th spot? I mean, Richardson did as good a job as could have been expected, but Lee's call-up clearly demonstrated that he was expendable...

113Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
I never really understood what happened with our D at the start of last year. We picked up Luke Richardson late in the summer (Aug 8th), at which time, presumably, Nycholat wasn't injured. So did we pick Richardson up with the intention that he would be a 7th defenceman, and that Nycholat would be out 6th, or that the two would compete for the one spot? If so, then Nycholat's September injury explains why Richardson started the season with us... but why did he never get a shot all season long at that 6th spot? I mean, Richardson did as good a job as could have been expected, but Lee's call-up clearly demonstrated that he was expendable...

I'll just use Paddock as the scape goat to explain any inexplicable roster decisions made. It should go along with:

1. pulling Gerber in a tied game
2. musical lines on anything beyond the top three
3. Emery's one-weekend, two-game "conditioning" stint
4. Redden's ice time
5. not using A-Train in shootouts ( :D )
6. win-and-you're-in
7. strict goalie rotation (although that may have simply been #6 plus alosing streak)

114Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

I'm not sure why Nycholat never got a sniff during 07/08 but, as far as Lee is concerned I was under the impression that Murray had planned and expected Lee to only play part of the season in Bingo and then come to the big show. He too had injury issues in Bingo that delayed his jump did he not? So I think Lee's situation was pre-determined and wasn't really linked to what happened with Nycholat. Another thing that may help explain Nycholat is that there might have been an issue with him possibly being snagged on recall Waivers? I don't know I'm just thinking out loud so to speak Smile

- Unknown Author

115Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Acrobat wrote:

Here is really the question you need to ask your self of a Defenseman to replace Wade Ringo (aka Ringo).

Seeing as Wade played very poorly the last couple of years, do doesn't it make sense that even someone who may be marginal (by some posters comments on Nycholat) could still fill in with the same if not better standard of play as Wade provided?

Nycholat is a better skater and puck mover than many give him credit for and he's a decent point man. The "booming" shot from the point is way overrated especially when Ottawa has typically had problems hitting the net from the point.

Anyways..All I'll say about the player I've heard is he's a natural LW which I believe will fit perfectly in what Alfie needs. But then again it's just my opinon.

Dawg

116Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:15 pm

rooneypoo wrote:

I never really understood what happened with our D at the start of last year. We picked up Luke Richardson late in the summer (Aug 8th), at which time, presumably, Nycholat wasn't injured. So did we pick Richardson up with the intention that he would be a 7th defenceman, and that Nycholat would be out 6th, or that the two would compete for the one spot?

I can tell you the intention behind Luke Richardson was to have him be the 7th dman and help coach down in bingo when he wasn't in the Sens lineup. Injuries and his ability to play in the NHL (at least early on in the season) kept him around.

I think you lucked out with him. He's in no way the D-man he once was, but for the first 40 games or so he provided you with an excellent 6th man. His age showed later in the season, but that was as much a part of the system breaking down and the forwards not helping the d. I think most sens fans would agree that the d, were hung out to dry most nights by the forwards inability to backcheck and force the man with the puck.

That will all change this year with Hartsburgh.

117Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:19 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'll just use Paddock as the scape goat to explain any inexplicable roster decisions made. It should go along with:

1. pulling Gerber in a tied game
2. musical lines on anything beyond the top three
3. Emery's one-weekend, two-game "conditioning" stint
4. Redden's ice time
5. not using A-Train in shootouts ( :D )
6. win-and-you're-in
7. strict goalie rotation (although that may have simply been #6 plus alosing streak)

He literally took the adage "try anything to shake it up", except most of his ideas happened to be Dung.

118Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:50 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Dawg wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Here is really the question you need to ask your self of a Defenseman to replace Wade (aka Ringo).

Seeing as Wade played very poorly the last couple of years, do doesn't it make sense that even someone who may be marginal (by some posters comments on Nycholat) could still fill in with the same if not better standard of play as Wade provided?

Completely agree. My concern is whether he can play like a 5/6 (or 3/4) D should play, not like our #4 (or 5/6) was.
To be fair, and as was pointed out, he was injured early on last year, and so it's been a while since we've seen him in a situation where the team has actually been playing well otherwise.

Dawg wrote:Nycholat is a better skater and puck mover than many give him credit for and he's a decent point man. The
"booming" shot from the point is way overrated especially when Ottawa has typically had problems hitting the net from the point.

I certainly agree with the skating part, I was more concerned with the ability to control the puck, and make the first pass while taking a hit, if necessary. I see the poise that Lee showed at the end of last year, and find that encouraging; if Nycholat is something close, and we can sign Mez, then perhaps we will be alright in terms of puck movement.

In terms of the "booming shot", the reality is that few shots make it through anyhow. Ottawa has to get away from the habit of trying to make the extra "perfect" pass, and we can rely on Mez for the cannon. The others can fire it in and hope for rebounds and other "dirty" goals.

Dawg wrote:Anyways..All I'll say about the player I've heard is he's a natural LW which I believe will fit perfectly in what Alfie needs. But then again it's just my opinon.

Sounds like you are connected enough to get info from people in the know...keep it coming...

119Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:39 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

I'm not sure why Nycholat never got a sniff during 07/08 but, as far as Lee is concerned I was under the impression that Murray had planned and expected Lee to only play part of the season in Bingo and then come to the big show. He too had injury issues in Bingo that delayed his jump did he not? So I think Lee's situation was pre-determined and wasn't really linked to what happened with Nycholat. Another thing that may help explain Nycholat is that there might have been an issue with him possibly being snagged on recall Waivers? I don't know I'm just thinking out loud so to speak Smile

Nycholat was on a 2-way contract last year, so I'm pretty sure that waivers weren't an issue. I could be wrong, tho', so if anyone wants to correct me on that, go ahead.

However, Nycholat is on a 1-way deal this year, so sending waivers will definitely be an issue this year. I'm kinda curious what we're going to do, tho', even if we don't make any changes at all... right now, we have 7 D signed on... is it possible Schubert and Nycholat will have to fight it out for that 6th spot? And if Schubert loses and goes to wing (becoming our 14th forward), who does he push out? Man, I can't even figure out what our roster is going to look like right now if we don't make any more moves, never mind if we do...

120Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:44 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg wrote:
Here is really the question you need to ask your self of a Defenseman to replace Wade Ringo (aka Ringo).

Nycholat is a better skater and puck mover than many give him credit for and he's a decent point man. The "booming" shot from the point is way overrated especially when Ottawa has typically had problems hitting the net from the point.

Anyways..All I'll say about the player I've heard is he's a natural LW which I believe will fit perfectly in what Alfie needs. But then again it's just my opinon.

Dawg

It's a very, very sad commentary on Reddden but, yes, I don't think it will take too much to replace what he brought to the table given his defensive struggles in the last 2 years. I wish I had an anwser for why he fell apart, but I don't. Good luck NYR -- you're going to need it before the end.

You're certainly right about our point shot. Uh OH! couldn't hit the net to save his life, and Meszaros has not been much better. What we need is someone with a little creativity back there to move the puck around and get it on net, even if it's not blistering... we've been over-thinking our PP for 2 or 3 years now.

121Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:48 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I never really understood what happened with our D at the start of last year. We picked up Luke Richardson late in the summer (Aug 8th), at which time, presumably, Nycholat wasn't injured. So did we pick Richardson up with the intention that he would be a 7th defenceman, and that Nycholat would be out 6th, or that the two would compete for the one spot?

I can tell you the intention behind Luke Richardson was to have him be the 7th dman and help coach down in bingo when he wasn't in the Sens lineup. Injuries and his ability to play in the NHL (at least early on in the season) kept him around.

I think you lucked out with him. He's in no way the D-man he once was, but for the first 40 games or so he provided you with an excellent 6th man. His age showed later in the season, but that was as much a part of the system breaking down and the forwards not helping the d. I think most sens fans would agree that the d, were hung out to dry most nights by the forwards inability to backcheck and force the man with the puck.

That will all change this year with Hartsburgh.

No argument from me here. I'm just wondering, was it was Richardson's surprisingly adequate play in the first half of the season that kept Nycholat out of the line up? Or was it something else? I mean, if Richardson was brought in with the intention to play 7th spot, how come Nycholat was never bumped up at some point, or even got a chance to do so? Did his injuruy drag on into January and February of 2008 or something?

122Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
Nycholat was on a 2-way contract last year, so I'm pretty sure that waivers weren't an issue. I could be wrong, tho', so if anyone wants to correct me on that, go ahead.

However, Nycholat is on a 1-way deal this year, so sending waivers will definitely be an issue this year. I'm kinda curious what we're going to do, tho', even if we don't make any changes at all... right now, we have 7 D signed on... is it possible Schubert and Nycholat will have to fight it out for that 6th spot? And if Schubert loses and goes to wing (becoming our 14th forward), who does he push out? Man, I can't even figure out what our roster is going to look like right now if we don't make any more moves, never mind if we do...

I believe this was hashed out a while back: two-way versus one-way simply determines how much the player is paid. It does not affect his re-entry waiver status, or at least not directly. I did a quick lookup of "re-entry waiver rule" and came up with this:
http://puckstopshere.blogspot.com/2006/12/re-entry-waiver-problem-not-fixed.html

Essentially, it says that a minor league who makes more than $95K has to go through re-entry waivers when being called up. So if a player is on a one-way contract he's getting paid the NHL league minimum ($450K?) and will have to go through re-entry waivers. I have no idea what Nycholat's AHL salary was last year.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that the $95K applies only to the player's minor-league contract, not to the running total of his paycheck as he goes back and forth between the NHL and the minors.

123Meszaros and Murray at a stand still - Page 8 Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:49 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

I believe this was hashed out a while back: two-way versus one-way simply determines how much the player is paid. It does not affect his re-entry waiver status, or at least not directly. I did a quick lookup of "re-entry waiver rule" and came up with this:
http://puckstopshere.blogspot.com/2006/12/re-entry-waiver-problem-not-fixed.html

Essentially, it says that a minor league who makes more than $95K has to go through re-entry waivers when being called up. So if a player is on a one-way contract he's getting paid the NHL league minimum ($450K?) and will have to go through re-entry waivers. I have no idea what Nycholat's AHL salary was last year.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that the $95K applies only to the player's minor-league contract, not to the running total of his paycheck as he goes back and forth between the NHL and the minors.

Aha. I would have thought that players on 2-way deals were protected from waivers, but yes, the Labarara situation the other year is ringing all kinds of bells for me.

I dug around in the CBA a little bit more and I see now that whether regular and re-entry waivers applies depends on a number of variables: the player's age, the time elapsed since he was signed to his first contract, the number of NHL seasons he has accrued, and the number of games he has played in the NHL. Any one of these factors, it turns out, can trigger an end to a player's exemption from waivers.

Looking at all this info, it would appear that, given Nycholat's situation last year -- he would have been 28, 7 years removed from his first deal, with 3 NHL seasons played, and 47 games played -- he would indeed have been subject to waiver rules.

What confuses me in all this, however, is that he DID play 3 games for us last year when we called him up in December to play. How did that happen?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum