GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Blog up at CrashtheCrease

+2
wprager
PTFlea
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.crashthecrease.com/2009/11/15/the-sens-decision-2010-on-the-blueline/

Now’s the time for Bryan Murray and his scouts to make a major decision – and time’s ticking down on them to make it. They have to huddle around and decide if this is the time to attempt to acquire that elusive number one D-man or risk this being the second consecutive season they miss the playoffs. What decision, right? Just do it, get yourself a D-man who can make an impact in all three situations: even strength, power play and penalty kill. Give up what you need to give up – get a guy who can bolster your blueline, bring in some skill and most importantly be a guy who can pass the puck up to the considerable talent up front.However, it’s far from being that easy. The question that the Sens need to answer is: do we wait for the Big 3 coming up and hope for the best in two or three years? Jared Cowen should make the team next year barring a set back, Erik Karlsson will also make the team – again, barring a set back and Patrick Wiercioch – who might be the most talented of the three – is two years away. Do you risk giving up draft picks this year and possibly younger players as well, to try to pry away a D-man from someone who can propel this team into the playoffs, or do you practice patience and wait for young help to arrive?

Do you dangle Anton Volchenkov in a effort to land that big D-man, or do you trade him at the deadline for a blue chip forward prospect or two? Or do you make every effort to re-sign him so that he can help the young bucks in their transition to the NHL next year and beyond? That theory is perhaps the best one of all that I’ve heard. Having Phillips, Volchenkov and Kuba around while the 3 prospects are finding their feet might be the very best in accelerating their development.

So there’s the dilemma for the Sens. Are they a playoff team? Possibly. Are they going to make the playoffs without a number one D-man? No. Should they mortgage a bit of their future to snag that guy that can play in all situations and make their back end a little more dangerous? No one reading this can answer that in all honestly. Bryan Murray made a small mistake (or a big one, depending on who you talk to) in going after Chris Campoli and giving up a late 1st rounder to get him. That’s a Ryan O’Reilly or a Carl Klingberg right there, two skilled forwards that would make the Sens stronger in the long run. Now, in Campoli and Murray’s defense, Campoli had an impact on the Sens last year and helped to turn around their transition game. However, this year, Campoli’s been average at the best of times, and downright bad in the others.

Alex Picard has had his struggles, he’s a nice 6th D-man to have, same with Carkner, same with Brian Lee. Yet, at any given time, one of these guys are playing top 4 minutes with top 4 responsibilities. If the Sens think they’re going to make the playoffs with this current squad, they’re wrong.

Now the question is: If Murray decides to make a big move for a D-man, where does he find him? Brian Campbell might be the tonic for this D to start clicking, but his cap hit is tremendous – and really, Chicago doesn’t even need to bother moving him until the summer if they don’t want. Shea Weber or Ryan Suter? Ha ha. No chance. Dan Hamhuis? Is that really a guy who will make the D that much better? He’s good, but is he that good? Ed Jovonoski? But that cap hit is as bad as Campbell’s – and again, frankly the Yotes don’t need to trade him theoretically. Scott Neidermayer? Ha ha again. Unless you want to see the Sens give up Erik Karlsson and a 1st Round Pick, you can forget about that.

Hard to find a fit, isn’t it? Maybe the choice has already been made for Murray with the lack of a true number one out there.

2New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So this guy thinks Wiercioch may be the most talented of the three? Very interesting.

3New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:51 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:So this guy thinks Wiercioch may be the most talented of the three? Very interesting.

You mean Spezd/Peter

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

4New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Who is this Peter guy? He sounds like a 504Heater type guy...

Wink

5New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:10 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

140704Peter.

6New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:15 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Jovo suggestion's a no go. I'm pretty sure they need his salary to hit the cap floor.

7New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:So this guy thinks Wiercioch may be the most talented of the three? Very interesting.

What a tool. Sarcasm

8New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Who is this Peter guy? He sounds like a 504Heater type guy...

Wink

Diddle.... Crying I'm just getting comfortable with SD.

9New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:The Jovo suggestion's a no go. I'm pretty sure they need his salary to hit the cap floor.

I thought of that as well, I guess there would be salary going their way, like the Vrbada deal, but on a bigger scale.

Whatever, I doubt we'll ever get to see that kind of guy in a Sens uniform any time soon.

10New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:44 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:The Jovo suggestion's a no go. I'm pretty sure they need his salary to hit the cap floor.

I thought of that as well, I guess there would be salary going their way, like the Vrbada deal, but on a bigger scale.

Whatever, I doubt we'll ever get to see that kind of guy in a Sens uniform any time soon.

Yes we will, we have two players that have the potential to be the same calibre of Jovo

Cowen and Wiercioch have the size and the potential to match or top everything Jovo has done. Keyword Potential

I'm not listing Karlsson because he'll never be the physical force, but scoring on the other hand.....

11New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:46 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

M_Christopher wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Yes we will, we have two players that have the potential to be the same calibre of Jovo

Cowen and Wiercioch have the size and the potential to match or top everything Jovo has done. Keyword Potential

I'm not listing Karlsson because he'll never be the physical force, but scoring on the other hand.....

You (EDIT: Not you specifically, that odd generalization "you") wouldn't have thought Kronwall to be a physical force either. Karlsson's not averse to putting someone's head into the upper decks if the opportunity presents itself. I'd say he's much more inclined to be physical than PW.

12New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:48 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

asq2 wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

You (EDIT: Not you specifically, that odd generalization "you") wouldn't have thought Kronwall to be a physical force either. Karlsson's not averse to putting someone's head into the upper decks if the opportunity presents itself. I'd say he's much more inclined to be physical than PW.

Yeah I guess, but I've seen PW level guys more frequently than EK but then again EK was in the swedish league

13New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

M_Christopher wrote:

The potential in a year or 2 to begin becoming a D-man similar to Jovo. You get Jovo now with his 1 year left after this, you're adding that guy right now, so it makes our team better this year and he can mentor the Dung out of Cowen and Karlsson next year.

14New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Karlsson was about as agressive physically at that WJC last year as any D man in the tourny. He will eventually be playing at 190 and is smart enogh to pick his spots, I agree with ASQ in saying I would expect Karlsson to be physical then PW.

15New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Empty Re: New Blog up at CrashtheCrease Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

To line someone up for a hit on SEL ice requires months of planning.New Blog up at CrashtheCrease 270956

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum