GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Karlsson stays.....YAY

+11
M_Christopher
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
strachattack
LeCaptain
asq2
Hoags
beerandsens
shabbs
PTFlea
SensFan71
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:17 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

OTTAWA — Erik Karlsson isn't going anywhere.
Amid speculation Karlsson might soon be packing for a trip to the American Hockey League team in Binghamton, general manager Bryan Murray said the 19-year-old defenceman is staying put here in Ottawa.
Once a rookie plays 10 games, the first year of his contract kicks in, costing the team a year of eligibility leading to free agency.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/ottawa-senators/Sens+defenceman+Karlsson+staying+Murray/2100683/story.html

2Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cool, he'll learn a lot when Kuba comes back and he'll rack up some nice points when he gets to man the PP and it starts to click.

3Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:22 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Cool, he'll learn a lot when Kuba comes back and he'll rack up some nice points when he gets to man the PP and it starts to click.

we shall pray that the PP picks up soon, with the amount of talent on both units, there is no reason this team should be around 20 % efficiency on the PP. They just need to shoot and get loads of traffic in front of the net, put Chris Neil back there just so he can stand in front of the net, I don't care.

4Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:25 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Cool, he'll learn a lot when Kuba comes back and he'll rack up some nice points when he gets to man the PP and it starts to click.

we shall pray that the PP picks up soon, with the amount of talent on both units, there is no reason this team should be around 20 % efficiency on the PP. They just need to shoot and get loads of traffic in front of the net, put Chris Neil back there just so he can stand in front of the net, I don't care.
20%? I WISH we were at 20%... we're clocking in at a whopping 6.7%. Worst in the NHL. 1 for 15.

5Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:27 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I don't think anyone was suggesting Karlsson going to Bingo until that last loss vs. Pittsburgh. I'm glad Murray isn't as reactive with his decisions as some members here.

6Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I was impressed by EK in the preseason but not in the regular season.

He's not quite as bad defensively as some make it out but I haven't seen his offensive talents much at all.

He's got 11 SOG but it seems most of his shots are blocked or miss.

I don't know I was thinking he may be better off in Bingo for a while. He's obviously struggling with the NA game.

Watching Del Zetto tear it up for the NYR makes it worse.

7Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Hoags wrote:I was impressed by EK in the preseason but not in the regular season.

He's not quite as bad defensively as some make it out but I haven't seen his offensive talents much at all.

I don't know I was thinking he may be better off in Bingo for a while. He's obviously struggling with the NA game.

Del Zetto is out scoring Spezza, Kovalev, and Michalek too. More concerned about that then a 19 year old rookie playing with under achieving players to this point in the season.

8Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:46 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think that's a bad call. Obviously the strength and weight aspects are holding him back right now, but it's not like he's going to gain strength or weight mid-season no matter where he's playing.

Moreso than that, I think, he just needs to adjust to the speed of the NHL game. Once he learns to play in that tempo - and he's not going to get that in Sweden or in the SEL - he'll be fine. Right now I think he's overcompensating and rushing his decisions too much. He's like the anti-Kovalev.

People can talk about destroying his confidence, but I don't know how much worse it is for your confidence to have your general manager vouch for you and support you than getting sent down to the minors.

Of course, you don't want to Bob Gainey - Carey Price the guy.

9Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:48 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
Hoags wrote:I was impressed by EK in the preseason but not in the regular season.

Del Zetto is out scoring Spezza, Kovalev, and Michalek too. More concerned about that then a 19 year old rookie playing with under achieving players to this point in the season.

Apart from our first game, I've been happy with the team thus far. I don't think we're under-achieving. We could stand to bury a few more chances, I guess.

Campoli has sucked, though. I think he's the worst possible partner for Karlsson to play with.

10Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:52 pm

There could not be a worse partner for Karlsson then Campoli, you're correct.

I was just putting it in perspective as far as Del Zetto out scoring Karlsson. I would def say Spezza is under achieving a bit right now, 2 points in 5 games despite improved defensive play is not worth 7 mil a year, sorry to say.

11Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:54 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:

Apart from our first game, I've been happy with the team thus far. I don't think we're under-achieving. We could stand to bury a few more chances, I guess.

Campoli has sucked, though. I think he's the worst possible partner for Karlsson to play with.

Campoli being so suck arse right now is testament to us needing Kuba back now, he has to partner with EK to keep him grounded and improve his game.

12Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:

Spezza and Michalek I attribute to lack of chemistry. Spezza has greatly improved his 2-way game and he is trying. Michalek is very impressive out there as well. Cheechoo is in the same boat, he's now on a top line with a playmaking centre where he belongs.

Kovalev ... is just being Kovalev.

Karlsson has made some good defense plays, some bad plays but only has 1 assist out there. He's clearly having some problems out there and his confidence is down (his own word). However he does need Kuba as a partner ... anyone but Campoli pretty much. Probably too early to call. Unlike Del Zotto he has to adapt to the game here too.

13Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:There could not be a worse partner for Karlsson then Campoli, you're correct.

I was just putting it in perspective as far as Del Zetto out scoring Karlsson. I would def say Spezza is under achieving a bit right now, 2 points in 5 games despite improved defensive play is not worth 7 mil a year, sorry to say.

That's a dangerous mindset to be falling into. The whole problem is that Heatley and Spezza have been measured far too much by their production, rather than how they play and their impact in other areas on the game.

The Spezza I've been seeing (granted, I only saw the third of last game) was flying and created many, many chances out of it. The production will come.

14Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:16 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I think Murray is thinking about what's best, playing 15-18 min in the NHL staying at Alfredsson's house or beign all alone in Binghamton...

15Karlsson stays.....YAY Empty Re: Karlsson stays.....YAY Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:There could not be a worse partner for Karlsson then Campoli, you're correct.

Bah, you can't really look at it like that - I mean, you can if you want, but Spezza's been harder on the puck, going into traffic, fighting for pucks and making passes - they just haven't converted as a line. I'd take a Spezza who was harder to play against - both offensively and defensively and only scores 70 points over the fancy pants from last year.

Michalek is definitely making a difference with Spezza. I never thought it was possible that he'd change as a player, but I 100% feel he's becoming a more complete player - and that has a lot to do with Michalek IMO. Again, this is just my opinion, but Spezza is our bread and butter offensively - the boy just needed to learn some of the ins and outs of playing D at the same time.

The perfect line combos for the top six MIGHT be:

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Kovalev - Fisher - Cheechoo

...but I like the way Spezza's line are starting to mature and come around together.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum