GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto - It's okay to suck this time

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Empty Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

After being mismanaged for so long, it's finally en vogue for the Leafs to bomb this year. That's the hope from Fletcher and co. anyway. They want to lose as much as possible and add to their slowly growing pool of young talent. Schenn is a great step in the right direction, Kulemin is a highly touted center from Russia, Tlusty is a gritty, talented center, who should get a nice, big shot at centering one of TO's top 2 lines. And my personal favourite out of them, Antom Stralman. Despite not having an overly big frame, Stralman is fairly adept in his own zone and a wonderful passer in the offensive zone. He'll have to bulk up a fair bit, but he'll be a big part of TO's future.

Of these players, the one I would expect not to make the lineup in Schenn. Why rush this kid when you're going to be rebuilding for 2 or 3 years? Let him learn the ins and outs of professional hockey with the Marlies and get used to a heavy schedule.

There are 2 major X-factors for the Leafs and they are Thomas Kaberle and Vesa Toskala. Both are way too good to be on a team that has Hedman or Tavares in their sites. Both will hinder the Leafs chances of being in last place. As it stands right now, the Leafs have some interesting names up from in Stajan, Steen, Blake, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, Hagman and Mayers, but none of these guys scream goal-scorer.

Toronto's defense is actually pretty decent. Kubina has found his feet again and can now be considered a top pairing D-man. Kaberle is one of the best defenders - both defensively and offensively - in the NHL, Stralman will take his knocks, but learn a lot this year and all joking aside, Jeff Finger will be a steady player for Ron Wilson. Add to the mix Mike Van Ryn and you have a recipe for trying to get picks out of Colaiacovo and Ian White (no small task).

Toronto's area to shine is in goal though. Consider just how good Vesa Toskala is to have the numbers he did last year. .904 save % and a 2.74 GAA doesn't sound spectacular, but think back to the disaster that was the Leafs of last year and you begin to appreciate this guy more and more.

Ron Wilson played Vesa Toskala's old partner Nabokov 77 times last year. 77 times. That's mind boggling. Toskala's NHL high is 66, last year, but before that, his NHL high was 38. What is Wilson going to do here? Is he going to ride Toskala like a pony, or is he gonna pawn some of that work onto Curtis Joseph? That will remain a huge question for the Leafs going forward. As good as Joseph is as a back-up, he's nowhere near the talent level that Toskala is. Does Wilson end up 'giving Toskala a break' somewhere in that season to try to get that 1st overall pick?

One thing's for certain: when the dust settles and the 2008-2009 Toronto Maple Leafs take the ice, they will be a tight-checking, trap-happy team that will try to grind teams into the ice and take away their time. This should make for some enormously boring games - especially between them and Boston or New Jersey...yikes. But in the end, it's not how many times they win 2-1, it's how many times they lose.

Team Grade: D
Conference Prediction: 13th in the East

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Now that I live in Brampton, it's a good thing I've since gotten over "hating" the Leafs to a point now where I wish them luck. I'd rather the 6 teams Canada has be the top 6 in the league (I'd also like to add to that number).

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to the rivalry, there will be times where I'll hate the team or a player for a certain action (Bell), but really there's no point hating the team.

The Leafs have to focus on the future. They have to stick to the plan and not do anything that will improve their chances (or worsen their chances, depending on how you look at it) of winning. Ideally, winning for them involves giving the youth of their team a chance now, and sacrificing a few wins. Not that they aren't going to win some games, but don't go out of the way to win. You aren't going to win a cup, and you shouldn't be trying right now.

Toskala has a lot of value to many teams, and if Pogge is the guy you want, he could be dealt at the deadline for a huge return.

Their defence is crowded, with Finger, Frogren, Kubina and Kaberle as their top 4.

Kaberle and Kubina could also fetch a nice return at the deadline, of course the NTC/NMC are a problem.

Then they have 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th guys like White, Strahlman, Kronvall and Colaiacaovo (no order).

Schenn could obviously make the team, but at the expense of one of those guys. There's just no point really rushing him. He either plays at the NHL level and gets experience there, or back to the CHL and gets better there.

They could end up with a top 5 pick this coming draft, as well as a few more from trades, so potentially the could have four 1st round picks or more.

Free up a lot of cap space to take runs at franchise FA's (Nash, Kovalchuk in 2 years), and maybe the odd RFA (Staal).

I'd try to work out a deal with Pitts that would send Kaberle for Staal, then in two years go get Nash.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pittsburgh would do that in a heartbeat...Kaberle can get you way more than that IMO.

Who's Fraggle or whoever the 4th D-man is for the Leafs? I've never heard of him.

EDIT: It's Frogren - and what about Van Ryn?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Van Ryn likely a 5th. Frogren is the veteran Swedish defenceman they scouted and signed in the off-season. Very defensive minded.

I'd think we'll see:

Kaberle-Finger
Kubina-Frogren
Van Ryn-Colaiacovo, then White when he gets injured.

Can't see them putting two offensive and two defensive guys out there together at even strength.

5Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Empty Re: Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:57 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Van Ryn likely a 5th. Frogren is the veteran Swedish defenceman they scouted and signed in the off-season. Very defensive minded.

I'd think we'll see:

Kaberle-Finger
Kubina-Frogren
Van Ryn-Colaiacovo, then White when he gets injured.

Can't see them putting two offensive and two defensive guys out there together at even strength.

I actually like Van Ryn... He could turn out to be pretty solid for the leafs...

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Is Luke Schen not ready for the NHL yet? I thought he would be playing.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Is Luke Schen not ready for the NHL yet? I thought he would be playing.

I wouldn't rush him if I were them. It's not like they're gonna do anything this year anyway.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:Is Luke Schen not ready for the NHL yet? I thought he would be playing.

Yeah, Ron Wilson has said that he's pretty much been the leafs best defenceman in the pre-season, but since he is so young and he'd have to take a spot away from someone with a contract already in place, it's very unlikely that they keep him... He will most likely return to junior for another season after which next year he'll have a legitimate chance at making the Leafs... Really in a way the Leafs don't need to rush him in... It's not like they will be competitive this year with or without him in the line-up.. I think it will only benefit Schenn if he goes back to junior...

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:

I wouldn't rush him if I were them. It's not like they're gonna do anything this year anyway.

I understand that, I just thought he was ready now, why not start him if he's ready, even if they are gonna suck. It would be time to learn from mistakes now, rather than when they're actually a better team, no?

10Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Empty Re: Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

....in 6 years that is..

11Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Empty Re: Toronto - It's okay to suck this time Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:29 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:
504Heater wrote:

I understand that, I just thought he was ready now, why not start him if he's ready, even if they are gonna suck. It would be time to learn from mistakes now, rather than when they're actually a better team, no?

It could also have the other effect and just discourage him... He could end up being a -50.. LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum