GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pens sign Skoula

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 Empty Re: Pens sign Skoula Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:36 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
Tuk Tuk wrote:Just because McKee was paid 4 million, doesnt make him a 4 million dollar Dman.

So Shero got a terrific deal is what you're saying.

Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 668437 That wasn't the conclusion I drew. McKee is a $4 million man like Redden is a $6.5 million man.

17Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 Empty Re: Pens sign Skoula Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Tuk Tuk wrote:Just because McKee was paid 4 million, doesnt make him a 4 million dollar Dman.

Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 668437 That wasn't the conclusion I drew. McKee is a $4 million man like Redden is a $6.5 million man.

and Campbell is a 7 million dollar dman Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 455378

18Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 Empty Re: Pens sign Skoula Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:41 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

I agree with SD. Goligoski is really the only clever move here, and Shero wasn't even working for the Penguins when Gogo was drafted.

In McKee and Skoula, he did what he had to do. Letting Gill and Scuderi go was necessitated by his own cap management, but it wasn't necessarily a good move (especially Scuderi-wise).

Now, that's not to say that Shero isn't a good GM, and his team has been terrific for the past three seasons (again, though, a lot of that stems from some drafting that occured prior to his arrival). Skoula was a good defenceman for the Wild and if he works out, the Pens will have made a good deal in that regard.

However, if he was really looking at Skoula as a big-time sleeper, he'd probably have made a move for him much earlier. So, how much credit he can actually take if Skoula does play well remains to be seen.

EDIT: Also, DTR, I'm not sure where you're coming from comparing Scuderi and Goligoski. Gogo's an offensive defenceman who's about the same size as Karlsson. Scuderi was and is more of a defensive defenceman.

19Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 Empty Re: Pens sign Skoula Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:25 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Tuk Tuk wrote:
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

That wasn't the conclusion I drew. McKee is a $4 million man like Redden is a $6.5 million man.

and Campbell is a 7 million dollar dman

Tuk, Tuk, Tuk...kiddo, you miss the point completely. You have no answer to my question...so you bring up a completely irrelevant subject.

Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 668437

Young fella, it's not about whether McKee is a $4 million dollar man.

It's about whether Shero made smart moves by:

(a) letting two of his UFAs walk so he reduce his cap exposure

(b) ...and give a talented youngster (Goligoski) his well deserved shot

(c) acquiring two veteran NHL d-men (McKee, Skoula) at a bargain price.

Business decision, pure and simple.

Ask your uncle. He probably understands that. BTW still in Sweden, is he? Give him my regards.

20Pens sign Skoula - Page 2 Empty Re: Pens sign Skoula Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:51 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

It's not like he let them walk, he basically had no choice but to do so. He's lucky Goligoski (who is now 24) was hanging around for a chance.

Also, McKee was bought out and Skoula released. He got a bargain price because no one else wanted them. I doubt he had to bring out very many negotation tactics to get it done.

Again, good GM. This is not his finest work, however.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum