GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:21 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll get the link and $$ value.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/296399.html

3.5 million per year/4 years.

2Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good lord that's a lot of money for Letang's 2nd contract. WTF?

3Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Wow, what a deal for them.

4Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Good lord that's a lot of money for Letang's 2nd contract. WTF?

LOL, I guess you don't like it. I think it's pretty good, considering what other guys are getting.

5Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Good lord that's a lot of money for Letang's 2nd contract. WTF?

LOL, I guess you don't like it. I think it's pretty good, considering what other guys are getting.

I don't understand why the Pens are banking that much money on potential. I like Letang a lot, but has he earned 3.5 million a year at age 22 coming off a crappy season? With the Pens losing Gonchar this summer (pretty much a guarantee), this had better work for them.

I like this deal by year 2 if he keep his potential trajectory, but by year 4 he's a UFA. Nothing about the contract makes sense.

That said, I only think it's a 2 million overpayment over the entire contract (0.5 a year), so...whatever I guess.

6Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If you think it's such an over payment why did you set him at 4M for re-signing in the SIM? Wink

Seriously though signing young players based on potential seems to be the way things are moving with the Salary Cap. You bank on his contract being a bargain in a year or two.

- Unknown Author

7Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:50 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:If you think it's such an over payment why did you set him at 4M for re-signing in the SIM? Wink

Seriously though signing young players based on potential seems to be the way things are moving with the Salary Cap. You bank on his contract being a bargain in a year or two.

Haha, yeah, I guess. The next CBA is gonna take a long, hard look at the '2nd contract' in the NHL. It's gonna end up killing some teams.

8Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Shero knows what he's doing. Letang and Goligoski on the back-end will replace Gonchar.

9Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Shero knows what he's doing. Letang and Goligoski on the back-end will replace Gonchar.

Not right away, but eventually, yeah. Gonchar leaving the Pens will hurt a lot. Their D...as it has been for a while...is quite underwhelming. Who says you need D to win championships? Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention 159628

10Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Good signing, he's worth it. He's already better than Kuba, and nobody's Dung on Kuba's salary.

11Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Empty Re: Pens Sign Letang to 4 year extention Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Pens had some great pieces on D last season and this season. They had "The Piece" Rob Scuderi, and now they have Jordan Leopold. Mark Eaton is pretty good as well for the role he plays. Hopefully for them Simon Despres turns out to be a good player as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum