GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Need Hockey Pool Assistance

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Need Hockey Pool Assistance Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:18 am

Good morning,

I'm selecting players via snake draft in a few hours and was wondering if anyone had a few suggestions of lower level players that they expect will over produce this year. The scoring is one point per goal one per assist. Each GM drafts 16 players, no goalies and it doesn't matter if you take D or forwards... so I'm basically looking for diamonds in the rough at the lower levels. or players that you expect could have a breakthrough year... e.g. Antropov got 59 points this year with the crappy leafs, now he'll be on a line with Kovalchuk (a la Kozlov) so I believe he could get around 70 this year...

any suggestions?

EDIT: looking for players that should hit at least 50 points

2Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:30 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Should find some real gems here

3Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:42 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DirtyDave wrote:Good morning,

I'm selecting players via snake draft in a few hours and was wondering if anyone had a few suggestions of lower level players that they expect will over produce this year. The scoring is one point per goal one per assist. Each GM drafts 16 players, no goalies and it doesn't matter if you take D or forwards... so I'm basically looking for diamonds in the rough at the lower levels. or players that you expect could have a breakthrough year... e.g. Antropov got 59 points this year with the crappy leafs, now he'll be on a line with Kovalchuk (a la Kozlov) so I believe he could get around 70 this year...

any suggestions?

EDIT: looking for players that should hit at least 50 points

Under-the-radar guys who should be good for 50-60 points:

Antoine Vermette
Shawn Horcoff (people will forget about him because of his injury last year)
Matt Stajan
Justin Williams (see: Horcoff)
Drew Stafford
Claude Giroux
Andrei Kostitsyn
Matthew Lombardi
Rich Peverley
David Perron
Bryan Little
Michael Frolik
Thomas Plekanec
Martin Erat
Kyle Okposo
Todd White
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Mikhail Grabovski
Brooks Laich
Patrick Berglund
Andrew Ladd
T. J. Oshie
Dave Bolland
Jakub Voracek

I'd aim to load up on the St. Louis boys (Perron, Berglund, Oshie), personally. I think that team is going to score in bunches this year.

4Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:30 am

thanks for the info guys!

5Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Some more names to throw in there:

• P.M. Bouchard -- those Minny players will be flying without Lemaire to clip their wings
  • Loui Eriksson
  • Milan Michalek -- will probably get over 60 on the first line
  • Tim Connolly -- maybe he pulls a Havlat and not his groin, and plays a full season for once
  • Nathan Horton, if he's still available
  • Kristian Huselius
  • David Krejci
  • Ryan Smith
  • Chris Drury -- always gets around 60 points
  • Milan Hejduk -- those 1-year contract extensions are great motivators
  • Bill Guerin -- with Sykora gone and Talbot recovering, he's the Pens' top right winger
  • Chris Kunitz -- he's their top left winger
  • Ryan Kesler
  • John Tavares -- but don't get fooled into picking him among the 70+ point guys or higher
  • Claude Giroux -- he's their top right winger if you believe CBS Sports

6Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:36 am

wprager wrote:Some more names to throw in there:

• P.M. Bouchard -- those Minny players will be flying without Lemaire to clip their wings
  • Loui Eriksson
  • Milan Michalek -- will probably get over 60 on the first line
  • Tim Connolly -- maybe he pulls a Havlat and not his groin, and plays a full season for once
  • Nathan Horton, if he's still available
  • Kristian Huselius
  • David Krejci
  • Ryan Smith
  • Chris Drury -- always gets around 60 points
  • Milan Hejduk -- those 1-year contract extensions are great motivators
  • Bill Guerin -- with Sykora gone and Talbot recovering, he's the Pens' top right winger
  • Chris Kunitz -- he's their top left winger
  • Ryan Kesler
  • John Tavares -- but don't get fooled into picking him among the 70+ point guys or higher
  • Claude Giroux -- he's their top right winger if you believe CBS Sports

This great... I totally agree with you about Minny and I hadn't thought about that.. thanks!

7Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:21 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dave, are you going to let us know whom you ended up picking?

8Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:24 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Claude Giroux, David Perron, Derick Brassard, TJ Oshie will IMO 60 points this year.

9Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:41 am

wprager wrote:Dave, are you going to let us know whom you ended up picking?
sure... I picked 8 of 10.

1) Backstrom
2) Spezza but Iginla was still available
3)
4) Havlat
5) Tavares
6) Frolov
7) Franzen
8) Antropov
9)
10) Kunitz
11) Fisher
12) Todd White
13) PM Bouchard
14) TJ Oshie
15) Vaclav Prospal
16) Hedman

Any people I took too high.. any that you're surprised went so low.

10Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:11 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DirtyDave wrote:

1) Backstrom
3)
4) Havlat
5) Tavares
6) Frolov
7) Franzen
8) Antropov
9)
10) Kunitz
11) Fisher
12) Todd White
13) PM Bouchard
14) TJ Oshie
15) Vaclav Prospal
16) Hedman

Kinda hard to tell without knowing the parameters of your pool -- do you have positional requirements, what are your scoring categories, etc. etc. But some general thoughts:

-- I would have taken Iginla over Spezza for sure, especially if PIMs count, if your league makes distinctions between wingers and centres (and between goals and assists). In a straight points league, tho', I think the difference between the 2 will be tops 10 points (in Iginla's favour). Spezza will be a PPG player again this year, I'd say.

-- Unless this is a keeper league, you definitely reached for Tavares. He's a talent for sure, but this is his 1st year in the NHL, and he'll be playing for perhaps the worst team in the league. And if +/- is a category, he may well kill you. I like Tavares for a late pick, but not this early and not in a non-keeper league.

-- You had strong mid rounds; I like all of Frolov, Franzen, and Antropov for 60+ point years. There are some concerns about Frolov, tho'; he seems to be getting the short end of the stick in terms of linemates. If I'm a betting man, Frolov is on the outs in LA and will be gone before the end of the season.

-- Your bottom picks are pretty strong, too, although I would have stayed away from Fisher, but I get that he's a homer pick and that he's had a strong preseason to boot. I'd keep an eye on Todd White. I think he and Peverley are fighting it out for line 2 duties, so if he drops from there, you're going to want to swap him out (if possible). The Hedman pick is pretty risk-free, but if this is a points-only league with no keepers and no positional requirements, I'm guessing you had better options.

11Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Another guy to consider is Marco Sturm. He's almost a forgotten man after missing almost the entire year last year, but if healthy could really put up points in that offense.

12Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DirtyDave wrote:

1) Backstrom
3)
4) Havlat
5) Tavares
6) Frolov
7) Franzen
8) Antropov
9)
10) Kunitz
11) Fisher
12) Todd White
13) PM Bouchard
14) TJ Oshie
15) Vaclav Prospal
16) Hedman

What are the "holes" in rounds 3 and 9?

13Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:52 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I guess I should mention this in here: the GMHockey Yahoo! fantasy draft is on for tomorrow at 7 pm EST. If you would like to join, you can find the information around these forums, just make sure you sign up at least two hours before the draft.

14Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rooney, the parameters of the draft were spelled out in post 1. Straight points, no limits on position, not a keeper league.

That said, Tavares will have a tough time hitting 50 points (you were asking for 50-60 point guys). The average projection is 47 (based on somthing like 10 magazines/websites).

Hedman is projected for 17 points, so I'm not sure what your strategy there was. He does not (yet) have Pronger or Lidstrom's offensive ability. He has 25 points in 82 SEL games over two seasons; not sure if they count secondary assists or not, but even if you double his assist total it's 41 points in 82 games. The NHL is a tougher league, and the Lightning are not MoDo (relative to their respective leagues).

15Need Hockey Pool Assistance Empty Re: Need Hockey Pool Assistance Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:31 am

wprager wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:

1) Backstrom
3)
4) Havlat
5) Tavares
6) Frolov
7) Franzen
8) Antropov
9)
10) Kunitz
11) Fisher
12) Todd White
13) PM Bouchard
14) TJ Oshie
15) Vaclav Prospal
16) Hedman

What are the "holes" in rounds 3 and 9?

sorry.. I had forgotten those two picks....

here's who i took...

1) Nikalas Backstrom - WSH
2) Jarome Iginla - CGY
3) Correy Perry - ANA
4) Martin Havlat - MIN
5) John Tavares - NYI
6) Nik Antropov - ATL
7) Alexander Frolov - LAK
8) Johan Franzen -DET
9) Chris Kunitz - PIT
10) Kristian Huselius - CBJ
11) Mike Fisher - OT