GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Swine Flu Concerns

+4
TheAvatar
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm

I work in a hospital and I have to get the flu shot. I missed last year's and was sick more often and for longer periods. Really, I think it comes down to the individual.

17Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

something to remember as well that even you get a flu shot it does not guarantee you wont get the flu due to the varying strains that are out there.

18Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:03 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Phoenix30 wrote:something to remember as well that even you get a flu shot it does not guarantee you wont get the flu due to the varying strains that are out there.
Exactly. The flu shot only contains three strains as determined by the CDC.

19Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I won't comment on your flu shot experience but it is interesting that there is some puzzling Canadian data.

It is important to remember that this is merely a suggested Corelation and also that the same effect was looked for and not found in the US, Australia and Britian.

I wonder if it's something as simple as the people that get the flu shot aren't as careful and therefore contract swine flu at a higher rate because they feel more protected.

Or maybe they catch it while waiting three hours in the waiting room, among all those procrastinators who get the flu and then think that getting a vaccine will cure them.

Me, I never get the flu. Or so the moron doctors used to tell me. I do not run a fever. Haven't had anything over about 37.5 Celsius since I was a teenager. I get all the other classic flu symptoms, sometimes really, really bad, but never a fever. So for years my doctor was telling me that, if there's no fever, there is no flu.

Well, I finally got another doctor and he said, yeah, sure, you can have the flu without running a fever. Some people (like me, I suppose) never run a fever. Don't know if that's good or bad -- I mean, does the absence of a fever indicate that my immune system is slacking off or simply not even breaking a sweat?

20Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:48 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Something that is interesting is that the data they are basing this on is unpublished and still being peer-reviewed.

Jumping the gun? Maybe?

21Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:57 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

For all those who don't get the flu shot because they think it's only necessary for the elderly you should also realise that it's a useful tool to reduce the incidence of the flu strains they targeted and this reduces the risk for the elderly that you come in contact with.

- Unknown Author

22Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:01 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I won't comment on your flu shot experience but it is interesting that there is some puzzling Canadian data.

It is important to remember that this is merely a suggested Corelation and also that the same effect was looked for and not found in the US, Australia and Britian.

I wonder if it's something as simple as the people that get the flu shot aren't as careful and therefore contract swine flu at a higher rate because they feel more protected.

Or maybe they catch it while waiting three hours in the waiting room, among all those procrastinators who get the flu and then think that getting a vaccine will cure them.

Me, I never get the flu. Or so the moron doctors used to tell me. I do not run a fever. Haven't had anything over about 37.5 Celsius since I was a teenager. I get all the other classic flu symptoms, sometimes really, really bad, but never a fever. So for years my doctor was telling me that, if there's no fever, there is no flu.

Well, I finally got another doctor and he said, yeah, sure, you can have the flu without running a fever. Some people (like me, I suppose) never run a fever. Don't know if that's good or bad -- I mean, does the absence of a fever indicate that my immune system is slacking off or simply not even breaking a sweat?

That is an interesting question. I always thought that a fever was an immune system reaction to aid in fighting off whatever virus you have. The immune system is banking on the virus being unable to cope with the increased temperature I think? I'm not a doctor so don't take my word for it.

- Unknown Author

23Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 Empty Re: Swine Flu Concerns Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:47 am

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

I've had the flu once in my life and I've never had a flu shot. I'm not anal about washing my hands, although i do shower daily. I never use antibacterial soap on my skin, and when something falls on the floor i pick it up and eat it.

Is all this swine flu talk just the media sensationalizing trivial events? Much like with SARS in the past, or does my immune system just kick Donkey? Beats me, but I don't worry about that stuff. Swine Flu Concerns - Page 2 639591

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2