GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

I dare you...

+4
Cronie
Riprock
wprager
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 pm

Greedy Swedey!

I still love the dude, in a manly way!

17I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Well, in all fairness since he wasa RFA at the time, they could very well have been insulting offers, and seeign as he was the captain at the point, who could blame him? Some times the player deserves more than they are offered. And to his defence he refused payment when the team was in dire straits.

18I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:27 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

DashRiprock wrote:Well, in all fairness since he wasa RFA at the time, they could very well have been insulting offers, and seeign as he was the captain at the point, who could blame him? Some times the player deserves more than they are offered. And to his defence he refused payment when the team was in dire straits.

No one is questioning Alfie -- now. It's good to keep this in the back of the mind, though, as we go through a similar situation with Meszaros.

Oh, and, by the way, the article was written when Alfie was the Captain, but it mentions tow other times when he held out and missed camp, and I'm sure he wasn't the Captain then.

Checking some facts:
Rookie of the year in '95-96; first contract dispute in '97-98, missing 5 regular season games. Meszaros has three seasons under his belt and played well enough to be at least considered (by some of us) for the Calder.

19I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:47 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
No one is questioning Alfie -- now. It's good to keep this in the back of the mind, though, as we go through a similar situation with Meszaros.

I agree. It was nice of you guys to point that out. It gives me a new sense of hope that Mesz can become a real team player and an integral part of this team because a hold out doesn't guarantee he's going to leave the Sens.

20I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

I agree. It was nice of you guys to point that out. It gives me a new sense of hope that Mesz can become a real team player and an integral part of this team because a hold out doesn't guarantee he's going to leave the Sens.

Exactly. This is a 22 year old boy with an agent who is probably doing the right thing to be honest. But he's got a long, long way to go before he matures and 'gets it'. We shouldn't be too quick to send him to the dogs (trade him) yet.

21I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:45 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well it all depends how long he sitso ut. If he signs elsewhere you have to try and trade him I think. We need help this year.

22I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Well it all depends how long he sitso ut. If he signs elsewhere you have to try and trade him I think. We need help this year.

He can't sign in Russia though, can he? I thought there was an agreement reached.

23I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'm pretty sure he can sign there. He's not under contract to the Sens, but still is their property, which I think only prevents him from signing anywhere else in the NHL.

24I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

That's what we're here for, Cap'n -- to keep you on (or is it off?) the ledge. tongue

25I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

I guess I'll have to rethink my stance on Mez....

Nope, still at the "sh!t or get off the pot" mentality.

Damn it - just sign the 2-year deal, prove you're worth $5M per, and we'll all be happy!

26I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

But at least now I can feel better knowing that things won't necessarily turn out bad if he doesn't sign right away...

27I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:00 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:I guess I'll have to rethink my stance on Mez....

Damn it - just sign the 2-year deal, prove you're worth $5M per, and we'll all be happy!

This is a good suggestion IMO.

28I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
Acrobat wrote:I guess I'll have to rethink my stance on Mez....

This is a good suggestion IMO.

I've been saying for a while now that since there's no offer sheets just tell him 2.5M per on 1 or 2 years. Mesz only has Russia as leverage and from what I've been reading on here and HB; he doesn't want to go there.

29I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:I'm pretty sure he can sign there. He's not under contract to the Sens, but still is their property, which I think only prevents him from signing anywhere else in the NHL.

That's a dumb rule that's gonna kill the NHL if they don't fix it.

There could be guys like Kane who are still property of Chicago coming off their entry level contract, but then the KHL could come in offering 10 million and Chicago is franked.

They need to rectify this!

30I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

504Heater wrote:

There could be guys like Kane who are still property of Chicago coming off their entry level contract, but then the KHL could come in offering 10 million and Chicago is franked.

I have a funny feeling that there's going to be alot of unhappy NHLers over there who will spread the word after this season. I'm sure the players who are close to their hometowns will get alot of respect and enjoy it there, but some of the Canadians I'm not so sure. That could be an ignorant comment, because I really don't know first hand what it's like over there- only things I've heard.

Plus there's the entire money issue- will they actually get paid? Maybe in drugs? or Hookers?

Who knows, we'll have to wait until next year to find these things out. But as of yet, I'm not all that concerned with the KHL.

31I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:54 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:I'm pretty sure he can sign there. He's not under contract to the Sens, but still is their property, which I think only prevents him from signing anywhere else in the NHL.

They need to rectify this![/quote]
Who really wants to go play in Russia anyway? I think too much is being made of this and there's no guarantee the mobsters will continue to fund the league after they lose a crap load of money anyway. Like Bryan Murray said, the "tax" is playing in Russia.

32I dare you... - Page 2 Empty Re: I dare you... Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:55 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jordo wrote:
504Heater wrote:

I have a funny feeling that there's going to be alot of unhappy NHLers over there who will spread the word after this season. I'm sure the players who are close to their hometowns will get alot of respect and enjoy it there, but some of the Canadians I'm not so sure. That could be an ignorant comment, because I really don't know first hand what it's like over there- only things I've heard.

Plus there's the entire money issue- will they actually get paid? Maybe in drugs? or Hookers?

Who knows, we'll have to wait until next year to find these things out. But as of yet, I'm not all that concerned with the KHL.

I second those remarks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum