GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GMHockey Technical Questions

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1GMHockey Technical Questions Empty GMHockey Technical Questions Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 am

I really need to brush my web skills up (i've been using Flex way way too long). I'm wondering if there isn't a way to post a flat file (like an excel file). I have all my 2008 player ratings in a sheet I'd like to make available to everyone but I can't figure a way to post a flat file.

Also I have tried to create an html table, but the table width is larger than the max size of the posting area. It appears that A) the width of the space is hard coded and can't be expanded, and B) there is a 100px space assigned for signatures which is also taking up space.

Is there any way to get around either of these issues?

DW

2GMHockey Technical Questions Empty Re: GMHockey Technical Questions Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Can you not define the width of the table in your code?

For example:

<*table width="85%"
border=
"1"
>
<*tr><*td>
Table width set to 85 percent
<*/td><*/tr>
<*/table>

<*/body>
<*/html>

And just remove the stars obviously.

3GMHockey Technical Questions Empty Re: GMHockey Technical Questions Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Those are HTML tags, but this board uses BBCodes. Some HTML tags are allowed and are interpreted correctly, but there is no guarantee that those will work.

You can sign up for a free file storage account, like getdropbox.com, for example, and then upload the spreadsheets.

4GMHockey Technical Questions Empty Re: GMHockey Technical Questions Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:15 am

PKC,

You're right I can set the widths etc for the table object in HTML, but the problem is that I have 20 columns in table but there is only so much horizontal room in the posting window. I'm guessing it's hardcoded because of problem that can occur when you make it dynamic and someone posts huge object and in turn messes with the web layout of the board.

I'll look at getting a free file server account and place my files there. I was hoping there was another solution but a file server account will suffice.

5GMHockey Technical Questions Empty Re: GMHockey Technical Questions Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:17 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Or post a screen shot of the file and embed it. That may or may not work well depending on how wide the image ends up being. This forum has a very narrow width for posts and doesn't re-size images on-the-fly like most other boards.

6GMHockey Technical Questions Empty Re: GMHockey Technical Questions Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You'd still need to upload the screenshot (has to be on a server in order to be embedded) and then you still have the same problem with 20 columns. This site crops wide pictures (a least it does in Firefox).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum