GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting underway

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Getting underway Empty Getting underway Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Hockeygirl4ever

Prospect
Prospect

The season is close to starting up. Training camp doesn't officially start until the 19th here in Buffalo, however the majority of the team is already in town working out with each other. There are still a few stragglers missing, but there are also a few guys who make Buffalo their home in the offseason that currently play for other NHL teams. Patrick Kane has been hanging around the Pepsi Center in Amherst, but my guess is he'll be heading out shortly.

About 17 of the Swords regulars are currently working on their game together, and I expect the rest to join them shortly. Along with those 17 regulars are a few of the prospects, who are to report by this upcoming Friday.

Talks with Pominville are on-going. I expect a deal to be done shortly. I'm not worried about it, because he is under contract through the year and is a restricted free agent afterwards. He is Sabres property and no matter what, they will at least get something in return for him. However, I would consider him to be one of the untouchables on the team these days. So, for all the other teams that want a piece of him, sorry, but you missed out in 05 when he was put on waivers. You can't have him because the Sabres are not going to give him up. I guarantee he will be the captain this year.

It will be an interesting season nonetheless. Most of the "experts" have them missing the playoffs. However, I think they grossly underestimate the effect that Numminen has on this group. I think you put him into the lineup last year and they don't miss the playoffs. He is the calming force they missed so deeply last year. It will not happen again. These guys refuse to lose. However, I do think that last year was a humbling experience for them, and one they needed to go through. They are still a very young bunch and had never experienced that kind of adversity before. Everything had come fairly easily the two years before that. They now know what it's like to be on the other side. They have grown individually and as a group. I expect bigger things from them this year, and they expect even more from themselves.

2Getting underway Empty Re: Getting underway Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:18 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They're definitely my darkhorse team in the East.

3Getting underway Empty Re: Getting underway Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Teppo has missed a full season and gotten a full year older. Although I agree that he will be a positive influence, I think their season rests on Miller. If he plays like he did last year they are toast. That was a contract year for him, too, wasn't it? Huh.

4Getting underway Empty Re: Getting underway Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:10 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh yeah, there seems to be a general consensus (at least among this site's admin group) that Pomminville is untouchable and will remain a Sabre for some time.

As for the Sabres missing the playoffs, while I worry about their offence, I have to echo Heater's sentiments that Buffalo certainly qualifies for Dark Horse status. Ruff knows how to push his guys and with such a loyal fan base supporting them, you'd hate to dissapoint them.

5Getting underway Empty Re: Getting underway Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 am

Hockeygirl4ever

Prospect
Prospect

wprager wrote:Teppo has missed a full season and gotten a full year older. Although I agree that he will be a positive influence, I think their season rests on Miller. If he plays like he did last year they are toast. That was a contract year for him, too, wasn't it? Huh.

It's hard to say whether it was a contract year for him. He was still under contract through this upcoming year. He signed an extension and didn't really know the teams intent during the season. I'll admit he'd have to be crazy to think that they wouldn't want to work something out, but weirder things have happened.

As far as Teppo goes, I think he's one of the most underrated defensemen in the league. He doesn't put up huge points, but that's why he plays defense, right? His main role is to prevent players from getting good scoring opportunities on the goalie. He does that as well as anyone else in the league. He also has an amazing breakout pass, and the young guys on the team can look to him for leadership. There's a lot to learn from this grizzled veteran and the guys on the team here know it.

6Getting underway Empty Re: Getting underway Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Great points about Teppo.
He definitely fits the mold of a player who does the little things perfectly and generally goes unnoticed, except by those with keen eyes.

He would leave a deep hole and the fans would probably never truly grasp just how much of a gaping hole until he would be gone.
He's a good stay-at-home D man, and a great presence in the dressing room IMHO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum