GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History

+3
Riprock
wprager
SensGirl11
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Empty Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Invisible

From The Associated Press

Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Jewelry250 Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Invisible
This image shows two men who detectives want to speak to in connection with an armed robbery at Graf Diamonds in central London on Thursday Aug. 6, 2009. Thieves took $65 million worth of jewels and watches from a shop on London's Bond Street in what local media are calling Britain's biggest jewelry heist. (AP/Metropolitan Police, Ho)

Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Related_reading

LONDON — Two well-dressed thieves walked into a London Bond Street jewelry store last week and, after brandishing handguns at shop workers, made off with $65 million worth of gems in one of Britain’s biggest jewelry heists, police said Tuesday.
Security camera footage released by Scotland Yard shows two men in crisp suits entering Graff Diamonds’ flagship store on Thursday afternoon.
The men stole dozens of high-end rings, bracelets, necklaces and watches worth 40 million pounds, or $65 million, and fired two gunshots into the ground as they escaped in a series of getaway cars, police said. No one was hurt.
It was among the biggest heists in British history — far outstripping the 1963 Great Train Robbery in which 2 million pounds were lost.
Last week’s theft, however, was topped by the 2006 robbery of 53 million pounds in cash from a security company depot in southern England, and was rivaled by the 1987 theft of an estimated 40 million pounds from the Knightsbridge Safe Deposit Center in London.
Police declined to rank Thursday’s robbery, saying only that it was one of the country’s biggest. Items stolen included a pair of white diamond double hoop earrings, a flowing flower necklace with yellow diamond petals, a platinum white Marquise diamond ring and a Chronograff watch, police said.

Graff’s store, a classical stucco and stone town house in London’s jewelry district, has been targeted by thieves in the past.
The same store lost jewelry worth 23 million pounds in 2003 when it was robbed by jewel thief Nebojsa Denic, a Kosovan Serb and a member of the notorious gang of Balkan robbers known as “the Pink Panthers.” Denic was caught and sentenced to 15 years in prison.
In 2007 another smartly dressed pair was chauffeured to the store’s Sloane Street branch in a Bentley Continental Flying Spur. They whipped out handguns and made off with 10 million pounds worth of gems.
Graff Diamonds declined to give details beyond the police statement.
Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History InvisibleBiggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Invisible
Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History Microgal120x60

,1);

Biggest Jewel Heist in Britain's History 12308-83465-3510-1?mpt=6832113

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Too long to read. I'll wait for the movie. I'd bet they've already sent a crew to scout locations.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Too long to read. I'll wait for the movie. I'd bet they've already sent a crew to scout locations.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing (the movie rights).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Damn... that is quite the haul.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Update on the story here http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2009/08/12/10438536-ap.html

There was an arrest made this morning of someone involved, not one of the 2 that are shown in the picture, but I'm suspecting possibly a getaway driver or something. He was then promptly relased on bail. Odd stuff.

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

the security in that place must be really bad and in need of upgrading

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:Update on the story here http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2009/08/12/10438536-ap.html

There was an arrest made this morning of someone involved, not one of the 2 that are shown in the picture, but I'm suspecting possibly a getaway driver or something. He was then promptly relased on bail. Odd stuff.

They nab a zillion buck worth of loot, then when one of the culprits is caught, he is allowed to buy his way out?

What are the odds he shows for trial?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Sens19 wrote:the security in that place must be really bad and in need of upgrading

Or may be they were going bankrupt and needed the INsurance Facepalm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

marakh wrote:
Sens19 wrote:the security in that place must be really bad and in need of upgrading

Except that the exact same place has been hit multiple times. And they still haven't improved the security enough.

I'd suspect they're paying through the nose for insurance as it is - they'd probably save money by improving the security.

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

marakh wrote:

That's something I've heard elsewhere as well. Because it is baffling how 2 guys can walk in the middle of the day without some security warning going off and locking the place. And ya they might have disarmed it somehow but aren't the security guards supposed to be armed as well. It could be just a case of bad security but the insurance thing isn't far off

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum