GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blackhawks name Cheveldayoff Assistant GM

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As per TSN....

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286662

The Chicago Blackhawks have named Kevin Cheveldayoff as their new assistant general manager.

The 39-year old served most recently as general manager of the Chicago Wolves (AHL), where he was the architect of four championship teams over 12 seasons.

"We are excited to be bringing Kevin on board, his track record at the American Hockey League level is un-matched," said Blackhawks General Manager Stan Bowman. "Our organization is committed to winning and Kevin is the perfect addition to help us reach our ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup."

The native of Blaine Lake, Saskatchewan, had a playing career that was cut short by injuries after five professional seasons. He was originally drafted by the New York Islanders in the first round (16th overall) of the 1998 draft.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Thx Shabbs :___:

From Blackhawks.com, additional info:

Cheveldayoff, 39, spent the previous 12 seasons as the General Manager of the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves, guiding the franchise to four league championships, which includes the 2008 and 2002 Calder Cups (AHL) and 2000 and 1998 Turner Cups (International Hockey League).

Overall, the Blaine Lake, Saskatchewan, native has been a part of six league championships during his 15-year management career, which includes two Turner Cups in three seasons as the assistant vice president of hockey operations and assistant coach for the Denver and Utah Grizzlies (1995 and 1996).

“Reaching the National Hockey League has always been a dream of mine and I’m proud to be able to do it as a member of the Chicago Blackhawks, an organization that has made major strides over the past two years,” Cheveldayoff said.

“I will always be grateful for my time working with the Chicago Wolves, and would especially like to thank Don Levin and Buddy Meyers. The memories and friendships that I have gained over the last 12 years will stay near to my heart always. The Wolves have been more than just a hockey team that I have worked for, they have been like my family. I know that the tradition and the commitment to excellence that begins at the top will continue to guide this organization as it moves forward. I am excited about the opportunity to move from one successful organization to another.”

Cheveldayoff was the architect of 12 Wolves teams that compiled a .615 regular-season winning percentage (544-320-114) and 10 postseason berths from 1997 to 2009. Eight of those clubs reached the 100-point mark during the regular season while earning four division titles and six postseason conference championships.

Cheveldayoff was originally drafted by the New York Islanders with their first pick, 16th overall, in the 1998 National Hockey League Entry Draft.

He began his career in the AHL with the Capital District Islanders, serving as the alternate captain from 1991 to 1993. Cheveldayoff held the same role with the Salt Lake Golden Eagles in 1993-94, earning the team’s unsung hero award after racking up a career-high 216 penalty minutes in 73 games. Known as a defensive defenseman during his playing days, a knee injury cut his professional career short after five seasons.

He and his wife, Janet, have one son, Chase, and one daughter, Alexi.

---

There has also been some discussion of the Chicago Wolves becoming a/the Hawks' AHL affiliate...am following this story as well.

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Who's their current affiliate?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Who's their current affiliate?

The Rockford (Illinois) IceHogs...Wolves were the Thrashers' AHL affiliate last year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum