GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Zherdev offers to play for the Rangers for original QO - Rangers REFUSE

+4
Sens19
PKC
wprager
caissie_1
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Interested in seeing what they do with him?

http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-forums/showthread.php/t,43317/

Can someone figure out there Cap issues if they accept this offer? Do they have room for Dubinky and Del Zotto now?

UPDATE:

According the Larry Brooks, Zherdev has told the Rangers that he will come back and play for the qualifying offer.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/dubinsky_holdout_unfortunate_or_Sq8SJoXtwwoELvW8ClVkdN

The Post has learned that the agent for Nikolai Zherdev, who rejected the Rangers' $3.25 million qualifier and then became a free agent when the team walked away from his $3.9 million arbitration award, called the club this week offering to return for $3.25 million. The offer was refused.

They are walking away. I'd be stunned if not.

They have 3.6 in space right now, without having signed Dubinsky. Like I said, they are going to walk I'd say.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Oh they can't affor that for sure.... He's gone.

I decided to do the cap hit myself:

They have to walk away from this unless they plan on letting Dubinsky walk.
I went over to CapGeek.com and added Zherdev salary to the Cap Calculator and this is what came up.

The Rangers are over the cap with Zherdev by $279,166.00. That is without Dubinsky and also only 5 signed Defensemen.

Good Zherdev, would be the smart thing to do.

2009-2010 New York Rangers
PLAYER BONUS CAP HIT
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik — $7,500,000
Chris Drury — $7,050,000
* Nikolai Zherdev — $3,900,000
Ales Kotalik — $3,000,000
Ryan Callahan — $2,300,000
Chris Higgins — $2,250,000
Sean Avery — $1,937,500
Donald Brashear — $1,400,000
Aaron Voros — $1,000,000
Patrick Rissmiller — $1,000,000
Enver Lisin — $790,000
Tyler Arnason — $700,000
Brian Boyle — $525,000
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau — $500,000
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden — $6,500,000
Michal Rozsival — $5,000,000
Matt Gilroy — $1,750,000
Daniel Girardi — $1,550,000
Marc Staal — $826,666
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist — $6,875,000
Steve Valiquette — $725,000
BUYOUTS
NONE
LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS
NONE
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER SIZE 21
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $57,079,166
BONUSES $0
CAP SPACE $-279,166

Cap space is calculated using the salary cap's upper limit, plus potential performance bonuses to a maximum of 7.5 percent of the salary cap's upper limit, minus payroll.

We encourage copying and pasting capgeek.com's generated results on message boards and blogs, but we hope you will consider leaving mention of capgeek.com when you do so. A link back is even better. This will help capgeek.com stay alive and grow.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / * Nikolai Zherdev ($3.900m)
Ales Kotalik ($3.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Chris Higgins ($2.250m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Aaron Voros ($1.000m)
Patrick Rissmiller ($1.000m) / Enver Lisin ($0.790m) / Tyler Arnason ($0.700m)
Brian Boyle ($0.525m) / Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Daniel Girardi ($1.550m)
Marc Staal ($0.827m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Steve Valiquette ($0.725m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 21; PAYROLL: $57.079m; CAP ROOM: $-0.279m BONUSES: $0.000m

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, I know this question comes up periodically. If the Rangers walk, he becomes a UFA. What if he can't get $3.9M from *anyone* (not too many teams with money have that much cap room). Is it even possible that the Rangers could sign him as a UFA for less than what the arbitrator awarded?

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:So, I know this question comes up periodically. If the Rangers walk, he becomes a UFA. What if he can't get $3.9M from *anyone* (not too many teams with money have that much cap room). Is it even possible that the Rangers could sign him as a UFA for less than what the arbitrator awarded?

I'm pretty sure he could get that money in Russia.

Also, as a side note, are the Rangers the single thinnest team up the middle in the entire league?

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

they could sign him and then trade him. at least they won't lose him for nothing. I read somewhere that Nashville was interested, not sure what their cap situation is like though

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Sens19 wrote:they could sign him and then trade him. at least they won't lose him for nothing. I read somewhere that Nashville was interested, not sure what their cap situation is like though

F'ing Nashville. $16 mil in cap space, screaming for a real top-end forward, loaded with attractive prospects and moveable pieces. If I were a NSH fan, I'd be super pissed that we're not even considering making a move for Heatley.

Dumont + Wilson, and you're probably well on your way.

Anyway, Zherdev is a waste of space and will be playing in the KHL at the first opportunity. Guy is laaaazy, and has a super high opinion of himself and what he's supposedly worth. NSH is out to lunch if they think he's going to spark their flagging offensive.

rooneypoo wrote:
Sens19 wrote:they could sign him and then trade him. at least they won't lose him for nothing. I read somewhere that Nashville was interested, not sure what their cap situation is like though

F'ing Nashville. $16 mil in cap space, screaming for a real top-end forward, loaded with attractive prospects and moveable pieces. If I were a NSH fan, I'd be super pissed that we're not even considering making a move for Heatley.

Dumont + Wilson, and you're probably well on your way.

Anyway, Zherdev is a waste of space and will be playing in the KHL at the first opportunity. Guy is laaaazy, and has a super high opinion of himself and what he's supposedly worth. NSH is out to lunch if they think he's going to spark their flagging offensive.

The big question is will Dany waive for Nashville? I'd love to do business with Poile and Co., as they have a great number of sexy assets. I doubt they give up Wilson, but Ryan Suter is a piece I'd be very interested in. Nashivlle's strength lies in their defensive depth throughout the organzation, something we are flush with atm. If they had a younger forward we could add to Suter, that's a great start. I'm thinking something like Suter, rights to Radulov (I figure he's gotta come back one day), Jon Blum.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
The big question is will Dany waive for Nashville? I'd love to do business with Poile and Co., as they have a great number of sexy assets. I doubt they give up Wilson, but Ryan Suter is a piece I'd be very interested in. Nashivlle's strength lies in their defensive depth throughout the organzation, something we are flush with atm. If they had a younger forward we could add to Suter, that's a great start. I'm thinking something like Suter, rights to Radulov (I figure he's gotta come back one day), Jon Blum.

No, you're probably right, Heatley isn't going to be waiving for NSH.

My point, tho', was that I'm rather surprised how timid some of these teams/GMs have been with Heatley being out there for the having. LA, NSH, STL -- these are all teams that should be positively lining up just to get a chance at a guy like Heatley. I don't understand their passivity.

NSH has never had a franchise forward. LA and STL haven't have elite scorers since, I dunno, Hull and Robatille? Just do something, you know? Your fans have been patient long enough.

rooneypoo wrote:
hemlock wrote:

No, you're probably right, Heatley isn't going to be waiving for NSH.

My point, tho', was that I'm rather surprised how timid some of these teams/GMs have been with Heatley being out there for the having. LA, NSH, STL -- these are all teams that should be positively lining up just to get a chance at a guy like Heatley. I don't understand their passivity.

NSH has never had a franchise forward. LA and STL haven't have elite scorers since, I dunno, Hull and Robatille? Just do something, you know? Your fans have been patient long enough.

I agree totally. I would think that with a new ownership group they'd want to make a splash, especially with a superstar then can market around. I'd be curious to know what their internal budget is because it certainly looks like Poile has a ceiling not near the cap. Not to mention they play in a division with 4 playoff teams last season. They are starved, literally crying for offense there. It's mind boggling.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Can you imagine adding Ryan Suter to the already young, potentially ridiculous D we have coming. Wow.

I'd think about a one for one just to clear salary and get a palpable piece back, but then we're out a huge top 6 player.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

3.9 for Zherdev and they're whining? Kotalik cost 3 million - and they did that by themselves. Zherdev's an exciting talent, put him with Gaborik and you might finally generate some offense.

We'll see what happens here, but if they walk it's a real waste. Not to mention Tyutin that you gave away to get him.

SpezDispenser wrote:3.9 for Zherdev and they're whining? Kotalik cost 3 million - and they did that by themselves. Zherdev's an exciting talent, put him with Gaborik and you might finally generate some offense.

We'll see what happens here, but if they walk it's a real waste. Not to mention Tyutin that you gave away to get him.

Christian Backman is no slouch either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum