GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot?

+2
PTFlea
rooneypoo
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:14 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Great story in the paper today about Winchester, Foligno, and our current opening in the top 6:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=62439beb-e6fd-4ae5-a701-e956aa66442a

On the one hand, it certainly sounds like Winchester is going to be given every opportunity to make this team and play a significant role -- Hartsburgh's comments in particular. On the other hand, the reporter confidently says Murray will "continue to shop for another forward." I'm not sure where that leaves us...

2Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381463

This is an article from the Sens website (main page) proclaiming how much of a chance Bass will get as the 4th line center.

So we can put that to bed with all probability.

Heatley - Spezza - Foligno vs. Winchester
Vermette - Fisher - Alfredsson
Donovan - Kelly - McAmmond
Ruutu - Bass - Neil

Schubert

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Picard
Lee - Smith

So, there is a monster battle coming between Foligno and Winchester. The right to play on the top line I presume. McAmmond could end up being on the outside looking in, but we knew that already.

Crazy stuff coming up (and a trade I assume).

3Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Heater - are you sure you're only one man??????

4Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:39 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I love how HArtsburg talks about top 9 forwards and not the typical top 6 forwards.

Man, I can't wait for it to start.

5Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381463

This is an article from the Sens website (main page) proclaiming how much of a chance Bass will get as the 4th line center.

So we can put that to bed with all probability.

Heatley - Spezza - Foligno vs. Winchester
Vermette - Fisher - Alfredsson
Donovan - Kelly - McAmmond
Ruutu - Bass - Neil

Schubert

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Picard
Lee - Smith

So, there is a monster battle coming between Foligno and Winchester. The right to play on the top line I presume. McAmmond could end up being on the outside looking in, but we knew that already.

Crazy stuff coming up (and a trade I assume).

Two things here:

1) First, I read the article you mention, and I don't see how you can interpret that as meaning that Bass is a lock to make the roster. This is all it has to say about him:

"Cody Bass, Ottawa Senators -- Amid the turnover in Ottawa, Bass could earn his way into the Senators lineup on a regular basis this season.

The centre played more than 10 minutes in just one of his 25 combined
regular-season and playoff games with the Senators. Ottawa, however,
lost forwards Cory Stillman, Brian McGrattan and Randy Robitaille this
summer, which leaves several jobs to be won at training camp. Bass, who
can play centre or wing, could benefit from his versatility in
competition for a fourth-line slot."

I like his chances, especially over guys like Zubov, but I don't see how that commentary suggests he's a lock. Did I miss something?

2) I like your depth chart very much. That's pretty much the team I'd like to ice this year. A couple things to note, tho':

a) one of Foligno or Winchester will miss out on top-6 spot, which means they'll probably fall back to line 3. To me, that signals the sure departure of at least one player (McAmmond).

b) with his versatility, I can't see Schubert as the extra. He's just too useful a player, and too effective in the role of 4th line banger. That means we have to ship out yet another player (Neil?), rotate forwards between the press box and the ice on a regular basis based on performance (Neil and Donovan?), demote someone to the minors (probably Bass, based primarily on his 2-way deal), or rotate Schubert and Picard on D, as per performance. The more I think about Schubby's utility and sweet contract, the less and less I think trading him is a viable option. Never say never, tho'.

6Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hayden wrote:Heater - are you sure you're only one man??????

:pirat: Frank that, I'm a pirate man. LOL.

Why do you say?

7Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:I love how HArtsburg talks about top 9 forwards and not the typical top 6 forwards.

Me too, he's already saying all the right things. I don't want another Paddock, but I think we're safe.

8Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think he's refering to the break neck speed with which you post - not just on here but on other forums as well?

- Unknown Author

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
jamvan wrote:I love how HArtsburg talks about top 9 forwards and not the typical top 6 forwards.

Me too, he's already saying all the right things. I don't want another Paddock, but I think we're safe.

I'm pretty sure Melnyk gave Murray a mulligan or a pass on the Paddock thing, but you can be damn sure it will not be tolerated again, and that Murray had to be EXTRA careful when hiring Hartsburg.

Now, as a spin doctor/media relations person myself, I know ALL too well about saying ALL the right things in front of the camera and the press; but at the end of it all, it's Hartsburg's word and career on the line. He now has a chance to silence the nay-sayers who still think he is NOT an NHL calibre coach, based SOLELY on his past performances (which were with crappy, underachieving teams IMHO). So, I think Craig knows what's been asked of him, and knows ALL too well that all eyes will be on him and his staff, especially after last season.

The ball is in his proverbial court, so to speak.

10Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:20 pm

I was at the Sensplex today watching them scrimmage.
Heatley, Fisher, Ruutu, Kuba, Bass, Foligno, Lee, Winchester, and the russians were not there, but the rest were.
I gained a great deal of insight despite the relaxed nature of the game; specifically, insight into the character and relationship between the players.

This is just a quick post before I go to class, to say that Schubert looks like the odd man out. I don't see him fitting in on this team anymore.
I'll be back late tonight to talk about my other thoughts (maybe a blog or something)

11Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:21 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:I was at the Sensplex today watching them scrimmage.
Heatley, Fisher, Ruutu, Kuba, Bass, Foligno, Lee, Winchester, and the russians were not there, but the rest were.
I gained a great deal of insight despite the relaxed nature of the game; specifically, insight into the character and relationship between the players.

This is just a quick post before I go to class, to say that Schubert looks like the odd man out. I don't see him fitting in on this team anymore.
I'll be back late tonight to talk about my other thoughts (maybe a blog or something)

Cool! Looking forward to it, cash.

Cheers.

12Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Excellent. Very nice (except for Schubert).

13Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Hmm, interesting. Looking forward to your more in depth post.

14Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ditto! I'll be here, anxiously awaiting your post dude!

15Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Empty Re: Winchester vs. Foligno for top-6 spot? Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm exhausted after what proved to be a long long day...I'll be back on tomorrow night (7-8ish) to talk about my impressions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum