GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Predictions for the 2009-10 Season: West

+3
PTFlea
SensGirl11
davetherave
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Predictions for the 2009-10 Season: West Empty Predictions for the 2009-10 Season: West Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

As a companion thread to the East Predictions, here's the flip side, looking at the Western Conference.

ESPN's Terry Frei put his perspectives forward last week with his crystal ball cogitations...again, posted here in two parts:

NHL 2009-10: WHO WILL WIN THE WEST?
Terry Frei, ESPN.com, July 7, 2009

During the past few weeks, the Pittsburgh Penguins pulled off the improbable, the awards handed out in Vegas did not stay in Vegas, John Tavares went at the top of the draft and the opening days of free agency came with some fireworks.

In the Western Conference, at least, it was a busy offseason even before any of that happened. In the Northwest Division, four of the five coaches from last season are gone, leaving Vancouver's Alain Vigneault as the last man standing behind his bench. There have been front-office shake-ups in Minnesota, Dallas and Colorado. The Phoenix Coyotes' situation has so many subplots involving legal and ego issues, it could be the next reality show. And, unlike what's-his-name and Kate, at least you've heard of Wayne Gretzky.

Here's a look at the events in the West and where they leave everyone. The order is a highly conditional predicted finish in the conference next season. It also disregards the automatic seeding of division champions in the top three playoff slots.

1. Detroit Red Wings

Yes, the Game 7 loss on home ice to the Penguins was a shocker. But this is still the league's elite organization, and GM Ken Holland has shown a willingness to make tough decisions, and the right ones, in the prioritization process. So although the Wings have lost Marian Hossa, Mikael Samuelsson, Tomas Kopecky and Ty Conklin, and told Chris Chelios they can't use (or re-sign) him, this is still the class of the conference.

2. Chicago Blackhawks

After the signings of Hossa, Kopecky and John Madden, among the things that can derail the Blackhawks are youthful overconfidence and a hangover effect after such an exhilarating season, and complacence after Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews land long-term extensions at some point. It's also possible Hossa's remarks about not having to worry about contract issues for 12 years (thanks to his front-loaded, $62.8 million deal) are hints he could end up going into cruise control. Cristobal Huet still has to prove he's worth his huge deal in the wake of Nikolai Khabibulin's departure. That's quibbling. The league's best recovery story likely will continue.

3. San Jose Sharks

The Sharks could go 27-2-2 in their first 31 games next season, yet coach Todd McLellan would frequently be fielding questions about whether any of that success mattered. Actually, overcoming the image of playoff underachievers was the underlying theme for the Sharks last season, and McLellan welcomed, rather than sidestepped, it. He'll have to do it again in 2009-10, and as bitter as the first-round loss to the Ducks was, the worst mistake would have been overreaction, beyond the minor housecleaning involved in not making qualifying offers to Marcel Goc, Tomas Plihal and Lukas Kaspar. The roster, with both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau, deserves one more crack.

4. Calgary Flames

Mike Keenan tried keeping a relatively low profile in his latest coaching stint, but that didn't keep him on the job, either, after a first-round loss to the Blackhawks. The most compelling reason for GM Darryl Sutter to step back behind the bench was that, given the history here, his looming shadow potentially undercut any coach. Now the strength of those Sutter family bonds might give Brent Sutter an extra measure of authority another coach might not have.

After Darryl's savvy move of acquiring Jay Bouwmeester's rights and signing him before free agency opened, the Flames should, and will, win the Northwest -- unless Miikka Kiprusoff's horrible play against the Blackhawks turns out to be an indication he's not just slipping but careening downhill.

5. Vancouver Canucks

Former player-turned-agent Mike Gillis showed a lot of immediate moxie after taking over as GM. One of his best moves was keeping the faith with Vigneault during trying times, and he was able to lock up the Sedin twins and sign Samuelsson. They still have Roberto Luongo, of course, and the Canucks and Flames will benefit from what is becoming a bottom-heavy division, reminiscent of the Central of a few years ago.

6. Anaheim Ducks

Those were the real Ducks down the stretch and in the playoffs, and Ryan Getzlaf is headed for Olympic glory. Despite the trade of Chris Pronger to the Flyers in the wake of Scott Niedermayer's decision to return as well as inactivity in free agency, the Ducks will remain at least a playoff team. And count me among those who believe goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere will get his act in order and earn back the job from Jonas Hiller.

7. St. Louis Blues

Instead of whining about injuries this past season -- some teams in the same boat wanted us to believe they were the only team in the league to lose more than one regular since the Original Six days -- the Blues persevered. With Erik Johnson out because of the dreaded golf-cart accident, St. Louis figured out who else could play and sped the development of its young talent. Keith Tkachuk is coming back (he was good enough last season to make that a good thing), and Brad Boyes, so renowned for being underrated, is no longer underrated. Conklin could end up pushing Chris Mason in net.

8. Dallas Stars

The revolution led to the installation of the untested Joe Nieuwendyk as the general manager and Marc Crawford as the coach, and the way the cycle works, Dave Tippett was portrayed as too nice a guy and Crawford as the man who can provide the needed sharper edge. That means when Crawford is ousted, he will be portrayed as an inflexible pain who turned off the players, and his successor will be billed as the sort of "players' coach" the roster sorely needs (and Tippett was). But that's for down the road. With the Sean Avery imbroglio out of the picture, Nieuwendyk and Crawford will look great next season because last season was an aberration. And there's still enough talent here -- including Mike Modano -- unless Marty Turco has completely lost it or owner Tom Hicks' problems create Phoenix-like distractions.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Part two of Frei's forecast:

9. Columbus Blue Jackets

Rick Nash had been saying all the right things about playing in Columbus and for coach Ken Hitchc0ck, but there were times, including when Wang tried him at center last season in a motivational ploy, when it was natural to wonder whether Nash frequently wondered what he could do under someone else. Now that he has signed a long-term extension, it means he won't be approaching unrestricted free agency this season and won't be asked 27,284 times whether he could picture himself in a Maple Leafs sweater. Now, the only asterisk is whether it comes down to having to pick between Nash and Hitch if they don't get along; we all know what the choice will be. Samuel Pahlsson gives the Jackets a checking center Hitchc0ck can love, and Mathieu Garon can be a solid backup for Steve Mason.

10. Los Angeles Kings

Even after the acquisition of
Ryan Smyth and signing of Rob Scuderi, holes still exist, but the young talent -- the fiery Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar and Alexander Frolov -- is coming together. If the Kings keep Jack Johnson healthy and get good goaltending from Jonathan Quick, they even could jump higher than this. After the Chicago revival, this is the next big-market success story that could help the entire league.

11. Nashville Predators

With three defensemen anybody in the league would take --
Shea Weber, Dan Hamhuis and Ryan Suter -- there still is that solid foundation. But unless GM David Poile finds ways to get the Predators some scoring, they'll miss the playoffs again.

12. Edmonton Oilers

So, can the Oilers hypnotize (or con) Nikolai Khabibulin into believing Edmonton has an option to dump him and void his deal after each season in his latest four-year contract? After his reawakening in a contract year with the Blackhawks, the issue isn't whether he has anything left; it's his motivation. Craig MacTavish, for the most part, did good work under often trying circumstances, but GM Steve Tambellini brought in the graybeards, Pat Quinn and associate coach Tom Renney, to succeed him. That gives the Oilers a bit of a Canucks East feel, and makes it potentially awkward because Tambellini worked under Quinn in the front office at Vancouver. It would help the Tambellini-Quinn-Renney triumvirate look good if
Shawn Horcoff plays up to the standards of his six-year deal.

13. Minnesota Wild

Jacques Lemaire realized he had worn out his welcome and departed, and still-settling-in owner Craig Leipold fired general manager Doug Risebrough. Rather than recycle, Leipold has brought in Chuck Fletcher, most recently the Penguins' assistant GM, as GM, and San Jose assistant Todd Richards as coach. With AHL head coaching in the Pens' organization on his résumé, Richards is more new wave than old school. There were a lot of nights when I left the arena after watching the Wild, shaking my head and wondering how many goals a healthy
Marian Gaborik would score if turned loose. He might be (and even stay healthy), but not with the Wild. In this economy and with all the other options for hockey interest in Minnesota, one more nonplayoff season will put the Wild's sellout streak at risk.

14. Phoenix Coyotes

The Coyotes fooled me, and a lot of other folks, last season. With their impressive young talent, I thought they were about to jump into the upper echelon of the conference. They didn't, and although I still believe they could be only a year behind schedule, the ownership/location soap opera is distracting and draining on everyone involved ... including Gretzky.

15. Colorado Avalanche

Tony Granato is the luckiest man in Colorado. He had two years left on his contract and won't have to coach this team. The "family" reason
Patrick Roy cited when turning down the Avalanche's virtually carte blanche offer to be coach was probably that he didn't want his family to see him so miserable in such a bad situation. Under ousted GM Francois Giguere, the Avalanche continued their mishandling of both the salary cap and personnel decisions, leaving little opportunity for short-term fixes under new GM Greg Sherman (like Giguere, a former accountant).

The good news for promoted Lake Erie coach Joe Sacco is that expectations are limbolike low, and owner Stan Kroenke is a basketball guy now caught up in the success of the Nuggets. Joe Sakic's retirement announcement is coming Thursday. Decent goaltending from
Craig Anderson -- signed from Florida -- or the beleaguered Peter Budaj will help Colorado avoid complete embarrassment. Under the circumstances, the Avs would be best advised to keep Matt Duchene, the third overall choice in the draft, with Brampton for another season.

Terry Frei is a regular contributor to ESPN.com; he can be reached at terry@terryfrei.com.

---

Again, this should be a typically animated debate among our GM Hockey Members...looking forward to your thoughts.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Okay, so this one is a little better. Still not what I would guess, but much better than his East predictions.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not ready to do the predictions yet, but I would say the time is coming for a changing of the guard in the West. I doubt Detroit wins it this year. Look for a stumble from Calgary and SJ, look for a new power to rise in Chicago.

Look for the Blues to rise. Look for the BJs to be excellent. Look for Phoenix to be great.

Dallas will have a rough time making it IMO.

But again...I'm not ready to do predictions yet. :^^^^:

shield4life

shield4life
Prospect
Prospect

From the west my bets would lie with the Red Wings - Sharks - Jackets to be dangerous next year.

http://www.redwingsonline.net

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sharks dangerous again? After that significant a letdown...again? I'll have to see it to believe it. :^^^^:

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Rangers have acquired Lisin for Korpikoski from the Coyotes.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:The Rangers have acquired Lisin for Korpikoski from the Coyotes.

You like those Desert Dogs, eh...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So what happens to the Hawks now? Does anyone (other than Dave or Terry Frei) still give them a chance to finish 2nd in the East?

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

One thing I know is wrong with this list: Detroit and Chicago cannot simultaneously hold the 1st and 2nd spot in the Western conference.

I also think Detroit will start to slip. They will still be a strong team, but they lost way too much talent to hand them the #1 spot again.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mojo wrote:One thing I know is wrong with this list: Detroit and Chicago cannot simultaneously hold the 1st and 2nd spot in the Western conference.

I also think Detroit will start to slip. They will still be a strong team, but they lost way too much talent to hand them the #1 spot again.

Perhaps Frei was talking strictly of point-totals.

shield4life

shield4life
Prospect
Prospect

Mojo wrote:One thing I know is wrong with this list: Detroit and Chicago cannot simultaneously hold the 1st and 2nd spot in the Western conference.

Here's the way I look at it and most of the Wings fan also.

Red Wings we're never supposed to have Hossa, that was a pure luck ... Hossa never belonged in the core of the team.

So starting off losing Hossa isn't that big of a deal because we won the cup without him the previous year and he wasn't much of a factor.

Losing Samuelsson was a blessing giving opportunity and easily replaceable with a player like Helm - Leino.

Now Hudler leaving was unexpected and that's probably the only talent the Wings will get a blow this off-season. Hudler a 2nd/3rd line player will be missed for his secondary scoring but you just got to live with it.

I'm not worried for Helm replacing Sammy because his got enough experience in the playoffs.

Lookout for Wings this season: Leino - Howard - Adkel which the three will be in the lineup. If Leino and Adkel fit in, it shouldn't be any problems.

Oh ya thanks Hossa for taking Kopecky with you Laughing3

http://www.redwingsonline.net

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:So what happens to the Hawks now? Does anyone (other than Dave or Terry Frei) still give them a chance to finish 2nd in the East?

Prager, you know I don't make predictions. That's your specialty. Wink And your track record is an eloquent one.

I suggest we let our resident Red Wings evangelist tells us what the future holds.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Sharks dangerous again? After that significant a letdown...again? I'll have to see it to believe it. :^^^^:

maybe with Dany Heatley they will be dangerous, I would accept Clowe, then we can other pieces after you work out your cap issues. Laughing3 FingersCrossed

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

shield4life wrote:

Here's the way I look at it and most of the Wings fan also.

Red Wings we're never supposed to have Hossa, that was a pure luck ... Hossa never belonged in the core of the team.

So starting off losing Hossa isn't that big of a deal because we won the cup without him the previous year and he wasn't much of a factor.

Losing Samuelsson was a blessing giving opportunity and easily replaceable with a player like Helm - Leino.

Now Hudler leaving was unexpected and that's probably the only talent the Wings will get a blow this off-season. Hudler a 2nd/3rd line player will be missed for his secondary scoring but you just got to live with it.

I'm not worried for Helm replacing Sammy because his got enough experience in the playoffs.

Lookout for Wings this season: Leino - Howard - Adkel which the three will be in the lineup. If Leino and Adkel fit in, it shouldn't be any problems.

Oh ya thanks Hossa for taking Kopecky with you Laughing3

They will still be a strong team, but their expectations shouldn't be as high. The other significant loss was Conklin. Osgood definitely has some lapses last year and the team needed Conklin to steady the ship. Admittedly, I don't know much about their new backup, so maybe it is a moot point. The team must also be exhausted from two short summers in a row... unless they really are machines afterall.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum