GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

+7
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
SensFan71
PTFlea
caissie_1
PKC
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Per TSN.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282428

Sources tell TSN that Brent Sutter is in the
final stages on the details of an agreement to become the next head
coach of the Calgary Flames.
He is expected to be named in the near future.
Sutter stepped down as head coach of the New Jersey Devils on June
9th, citing personal and family reasons, but at the time there was
speculation that he would eventually move into the vacant Flames head
coaching position.
Sutter, who was brought to New Jersey on July 13, 2007, spent two
seasons behind the Devils' bench compiling a record of 97-56-11. He led
the team to the post-season both years, but failed to move on past the
first round, most recently falling to the Carolina Hurricanes in seven
games.
Prior to his time in New Jersey, Sutter served eight seasons as the
owner, president, general manager, and coach of the Red Deer Rebels in
the Western Hockey League.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

This has been predicted for a long time... A great fit for the Flames!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't know how I feel about that. Leaving a contract to coach another team? Good for him if he was homesick, hopefully it doesn't leave the Devils high and dry though (Tippett!!!!).

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I don't know how I feel about that. Leaving a contract to coach another team? Good for him if he was homesick, hopefully it doesn't leave the Devils high and dry though (Tippett!!!!).

Rumor is Jacques Lemaire might be considering coming back to coach in New Jersey.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
Rumor is Jacques Lemaire might be considering coming back to coach in New Jersey.

Oh wow, that's neat. Can't argue with that.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

caissie_1 wrote:This has been predicted for a long time... A great fit for the Flames!

agreed, totally different approach from iron mike, should bode very well for the Flames.

Who didn't see this coming? Formidable tandem with Laviolette for sure. No more excuses for Jerome and company. If they can resist the urge to play Kipper 75 times, they may have some gas left in April.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

It is official.

BRENT SUTTER TO COACH FLAMES
ESPN.COM/AP, June 23, 2009

CALGARY, Alberta -- General manager Darryl Sutter hired his brother Brent Sutter to be the new coach of the Calgary Flames on Tuesday.

The addition of Brent pushes the total number of Sutters in the Flames organization to five.

Brother Duane is director of player personnel, brother Ron is a scout and Darryl's son Brett played for the Flames farm team last season.

The team has also hired Ryan McGill, Dave Lowry and Jamie McLennan as assistant coaches.

Mike Keenan was fired as coach of the Flames on May 22.

Darryl Sutter said the Sutter name played no part in the hiring
"I'm the GM, Brent's the head coach and this is the coaching staff," he said during a news conference. "They were the very best people available. It didn't really matter what their last name was."

Darryl Sutter said there were three key things he considered when choosing his new coaching staff.

"Number one was leadership, [that was] very, very important," he said during a news conference. "Number two was structure and number three was detail."

Brent Sutter quit the New Jersey Devils with one year remaining on his contract to return to Alberta, saying he missed his family and that he wanted to restore his Red Deer Rebels junior hockey team.

"There was some personal things that he understood," Brent said of Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, who was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame on Tuesday.

Brent Sutter coached the Devils to a 97-56-11 regular-season record in his first two seasons as an NHL coach, but New Jersey was upset in the first round of the playoffs in both seasons.

The Flames underachieved last season with a fourth straight exit in the first round of playoffs. Calgary led the Northwest Division by 13 points in January, but injuries and inconsistent play eroded that cushion and cost Calgary home-ice advantage in the postseason. The Flames finished fifth in the Western Conference with a 46-30-6 record.

Darryl Sutter said there were three key things he considered when choosing his new coaching staff.

"Number one was leadership, [that was] very, very important," he said during a news conference. "Number two was structure and number three was detail."

Yeah, the type of leadership that quits on a team in the middle on a contract, with a lame excuse, to go somewhere else. Heatley is a perfect fit in Calgary it seems.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dude. Lou's definitely not pleased. He might not be showing it, but he's not impressed.

Great for the Flames though.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Dude. Lou's definitely not pleased. He might not be showing it, but he's not impressed.

Great for the Flames though.

SpezD, you haven't followed the process with the Devils and the relationship between Lamoriello and Sutter. The agreement was always that Brent would be allowed to review the situation with Lou on a yearly basis due to family considerations.

You get 'two minutes in the box' for conjecture.
Wink

Ya, I think Sutter told Lou exactly what he wanted and Lou went along with it. There is still some honour left in hockey.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
SpezD, you haven't followed the process with the Devils and the relationship between Lamoriello and Sutter. The agreement was always that Brent would be allowed to review the situation with Lou on a yearly basis due to family considerations.

You get 'two minutes in the box' for conjecture.
Wink

Oh really. That's quite interesting. I didn't realize that.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

This from New Jersey...

BRENT SUTTER NAMED CALGARY FLAMES COACH; LAMORIELLO DISAPPOINTED BUT NOT SURPRISED
Rich Chere, The Star-Ledger, June 23, 2009

Brent Sutter is the new Calgary Flames head coach. The Devils will receive no compensation for letting him out of the final year on his contract.

Lou Lamoriello believes the Devils should receive compensation for letting Brent Sutter out of the final year of his contract to become coach of the Calgary Flames, but that was never a possibility.

So, instead of insisting that Sutter sit out a year while still under contract, Lamoriello decided to move on. He granted Flames GM Darryl Sutter permission to sign Brent with no strings attached.

"You know once you give consent, because of the new rules in the NHL there is no recourse and no compensation," Lamoriello told me Tuesday afternoon. "I certainly believe there should be compensation in situations like this for all the obvious reasons, but there isn't. That's a league rule and you accept it."

Lamoriello doesn't believe Brent Sutter had this type of a defection in mind during last season.

"I don't even think that way," Lamoriello said. "Certainly when Brent left it was for the right reasons in his mind. Only he could judge those reasons with his family and it wasn't something that came overnight. It was something that was lingering through the year.

"Although we were disappointed, we weren't surprised. Then, when I did receive a call from Darryl to speak with Brent, you can go two ways on that.You look at the man and individuals and you look at the situation and do it for the right reasons."

Clearly, Lamoriello is not happy with the series of events. In fact, he is unbdoubtedly shocked because Sutter was though to be his heir apparent in the Devils' front office.

However, he chose not to hold Sutter to his Devils contract.

"It's not something that is good for the game," Lamoriello explained. "You look at the commitments, but in this situation extenuating circumstances prevail. The thought was to allow them to speak. I didn't know what the result would be, but I knew there was a chance."

That chance became reality Tuesday when the Flames introduced Brent Sutter as their new coach.

"There was some personal things that he understood," Sutter said of Lamoriello during the press conference in Calgary.

Some Devils players are trying to make sense of Sutter's decisions.

"Obviously he enjoys coaching and wants to coach," Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador said of Sutter. "I believe he must've had some idea for a while that he wasn't coming back. Then the Calgary opportunity came up.

"I don't think it was a decision made during the season or anything like that. I don't think he decided to quit and then hopefully get a job in Edmonton or Calgary. I think the opportunity just presented itself to him."

So, does Lamoriello feel burned?

"No. I never look at things like that," he said. "I look at the set of circumstances and the decision. I'm not angry. I'm just moving forward. And I wish him the best. I don't hold anything against him in any way."

As for naming Sutter's replacement, Lamoriello said: "We've got to get through this week first."

There will undoubtedly be hard feelings in New Jersey about Sutter's defection.

"I don't know if that's been done anywhere else in the league," Salvador said.

"Players can't walk away from their contract and go somewhere else. Obviously Lou still had his rights. That kind of shows you that it must've been a concern for Brent being away from his family."

Of that, there was never any doubt. Sutter talked of being homesick for two seasons. Few people could blame him for leaving to be home with his family, but taking another NHL job sheds a different light on the situation.

"That's what is surprising," Brian Gionta said. "He was struggling with being away from home and his kids at a crucial time. Obviously that situation coaching back there must work out better for what he was missing.

"It's a little surprising. When he stepped down there was speculation. He has to do what is best for him and his family. If that's it, then I wish him luck. No one is in his shoes. Until you are, you don't know what would happen. It's tough to criticize. You hope it happened for the right reasons."

There will definitely be some added feelings when the Devils and Flames meet on the ice.

"Definitely," Salvador told me. "You always have those rivalries. It's going to be interesting."

Very classy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum