GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur?

+8
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
SensFan71
Mojo
Cronie
LethalLehner
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=35113aac4c7a458894ac4bec54d9f136&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a35113aac4c7a458894ac4bec54d9f136Post%3ad75caa3c-1f09-4fd5-8201-139b80856e06&sid=sitelife.pressconnects.com

Might the Ottawa Senators sign former Rochester Amerks all-star goaltender Mike Brodeur this offseason?

Democrat and Chronicle reporter Kevin Oklobzija reports that could very well be the case in his latest blog entry, after Brodeur apparently rejected an offer from Rochester's parent club, the Florida Panthers.

It's an intriguing notion, without a doubt. Brodeur, 26, was quite the find for Rochester this past season, joining the Amerks as the ECHL's Augusta Lynx folded, earning all-star honors, then finishing with a 18-13-4 record, a 2.45 goals-against average and .921 save percentage.

As I read, this line in Kevin's blog caught my attention:

The Panthers were willing to pony up the money — right to the re-entry waiver cap of $105,000 — but Brodeur is believed to have surveyed the goaltending situation in Ottawa and seen green pastures.

It's interesting because Ottawa already has Pascal Leclair under contract after acquiring him from Columbus at the trade deadline, plus Alex Auld has a second year left on his contract and Brian Elliott is a restricted free agent. There has been some speculation, assuming Elliott is re-signed, that Auld could be traded this offseason -- speculation that I guess would intensify if in fact Brodeur is signed.

Brodeur’s old goalie coach from junior at Medicine Hat, Eli Wilson, is the Senators goalie coach, so familiarity within the system could play a role in his decision.

Bottom line: The move would be huge for the B-Sens, whose goaltending ran maddeningly hot and cold after Elliott was recalled at midseason.

2Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

that would be awesome for bingo he seems like he could give some balanced and steady goaltending

3Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:36 pm

get it done Shrug

4Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:41 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

Where do we sign. Get this done Murray. Ahhhhh!

5Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, this would be really nice, I have to admit.

6Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

C'mon Murray, no more guessing games. Get him to sign on the dotted line and move on to the next acquisition! Wink

7Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:14 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Murray always has depth on the mind...I love it!

8Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:22 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

sorry Jeff Glass, no starting job for you, oh well, Glass hasn't proven to be much anyway and he has had ample time.

9Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

so i'm not familiar with Mike too much, is this a guy that would or might chalange for the job(like the article makes reference to) or would this be a great AHL goalie to keep in bingo to help out... i cant wait till some real trades or FA are annouced. oh draft day, yoour more exciting then the present cup finals...

10Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:so i'm not familiar with Mike too much, is this a guy that would or might chalange for the job(like the article makes reference to) or would this be a great AHL goalie to keep in bingo to help out... i cant wait till some real trades or FA are annouced. oh draft day, yoour more exciting then the present cup finals...

To me, this year, the draft is 100 times more exciting than the Cup Finals.

As for Mike Brodeur, he apparently has big skills to play in the AHL. He was awesome in the ECHL as well. I think the general consensus out of his camp is that he would immediately take over as the starter in Bingo - and when he posted amazing numbers, he would challenge Elliott for the back up.

I think that's his dream scenario anyway.

11Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:37 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well assuming Auld is gone then this Brodeur kid can step right in as backup or even take starting duties from the younger Elliott when the inevitible injury happens to Leclaire.

The other thing Brodeur could be thinking is if Elliott faulters then he could get an opportunity to at least backup in the NHL.

On the surface it seems like the goaltending is set but there's a lot of uncertainty and potential there for a guy like Brodeur.

- Unknown Author

12Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:41 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Well assuming Auld is gone then this Brodeur kid can step right in as backup or even take starting duties from the younger Elliott when the inevitible injury happens to Leclaire.

The other thing Brodeur could be thinking is if Elliott faulters then he could get an opportunity to at least backup in the NHL.

On the surface it seems like the goaltending is set but there's a lot of uncertainty and potential there for a guy like Brodeur.

well I never considered this, but Brodeur does make Auld expendable, hate to say it that way, but it definitely does, plus if Ottawa could go out and get Freddy Braithwaite like Heater has been advocating, then you got some young talent in Bingo with Braithwaite on a 2 way who can mentor them, then if the s*** hits the fan, maybe we see Braithwaite in the NHL again, anything can happen.

13Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:49 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Well assuming Auld is gone then this Brodeur kid can step right in as backup or even take starting duties from the younger Elliott when the inevitible injury happens to Leclaire.

well I never considered this, but Brodeur does make Auld expendable, hate to say it that way, but it definitely does, plus if Ottawa could go out and get Freddy Braithwaite like Heater has been advocating, then you got some young talent in Bingo with Braithwaite on a 2 way who can mentor them, then if the s*** hits the fan, maybe we see Braithwaite in the NHL again, anything can happen.

That would be depth up the ying yang in the Goalie position that's for sure.

Leclaire, Elliott, Brodeur, Brathwaite, O'keefe (Auld traded in all this of course). I personally would be OK with no Brathwaite and giving O'keefe backup duties in Bingo. OF coures with Leclaire's injury issues this allows both Ottawa and Bingo to be covered in that area.

- Unknown Author

14Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Maybe they can sign Frank Clemmensen too to screw him over.

15Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Empty Re: Sens about to sign MIKE Brodeur? Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:

Oh man, I had forgotten about Braithwaite - good memory SF71!

I still think he's the perfect AHL guy - who can easily take a few starts in the NHL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum