GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who Will Coach The Oilers?

+7
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
sennies1980
shabbs
wprager
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 12:58 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Oilers fed up with coach questions

'No one has heard anything' about MacTavish replacement, says Kyle Brodziak

The Edmonton Journal/Joanne Ireland, May 22, 2009 (with notes by Jim Matheson)

The question comes up constantly when Kyle Brodziak is out and about.

"Who's the new coach?"

"What are you hearing?"

"What do you know?"

Brodziak offers up the same answer time and again. "I couldn't even guess," he said. "No one has heard anything."

The Edmonton Oilers winger was among the players at Telus Field Thursday evening for an autograph session prior to the Edmonton Capitals' home opener.

Naturally, the conversation shifted to the vacant head coaching post. Craig MacTavish's tenure ended on April 15.

"Change is a good thing sometimes ... whatever it is and however it shakes out," said veteran defenceman Steve Staios, who was at the park along with Steve MacIntyre and Zack Stortini. "We've had losing seasons before, but I don't think we've had one like last year. There wasn't a lot of heart and passion and not as much energy as we've normally played with.

"Being away from it for a couple of weeks now, there's a sense of excitement because we haven't been successful and there's going to be a change. Hopefully that will bring back that passion and some good positive results."

With the change at the helm, there will be a change in several areas, which is why Brodziak figures a lot of players will have to evaluate how they approach the off-season. "We just have to make sure we come in a lot more prepared," he said.

As for the talk about the new bench boss, Brodziak is keeping half an ear tuned to the speculation.

"It's an important key to our team, but it's out of our control," Brodziak said. "When they decide to name the head coach, that's when I'll start paying a little more attention to it.

"He was the only coach I've had in the NHL ... so it's going to be different and guys are looking forward to finding out who it's going to be."

jireland@thejournal.canwest.com

RICHARDS OFF LIST?
Todd Richards may be off the Edmonton Oilers' short list in their search for a new head coach.

With Chuck Fletcher, the Pittsburgh Penguins assistant general manager, reportedly getting the job as Minnesota Wild GM, Richards could be joining him.

Richards, an assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks, has been interviewed for the vacant Oilers' bench boss post. He is closely associated with Fletcher.

Fletcher, son of longtime NHL executive Cliff Fletcher, hired Richards to coach the Penguins Wilkes-Barre American Hockey League farm team where he was hugely successful for a couple of seasons.

Richards just finished his first year with the Sharks as Todd McLellan's assistant.
-- Jim Matheson

2Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 10:07 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Has Keenan ever coached the Oilers? I don't think so. That would give him 9 teams -- one step closer to Sillinger. Plus, could you imagine the cross-province rivalry getting even hotter?

3Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 10:24 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Gretzky!

Wink

4Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 2:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I know you were joking, but why not?

5Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 3:43 pm

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

makes sense. he is a horrible coach and they are a horrible team!

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

6Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 3:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I know you were joking, but why not?
Janet will veto it.

7Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 5:04 pm

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

She still lives in LA with the boys, no?

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

8Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sat May 23, 2009 7:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

sennies1980 wrote:She still lives in LA with the boys, no?
Not sure, but LA --> Phoenix < LA --> Edmonton.

9Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Sun May 24, 2009 4:31 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Former Rangers coach Tom Renney and former LA/Colorado/Vancouver coach Marc Crawford have also been mentioned as candidates.

Another perspective from Edmonton:

Daum: The right man for the (other) job
Oilers may have him in mind-- for Springfield

Dan Barnes, The Edmonton Journal, Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rob Daum desperately wants to be a head coach, which is a good thing, since he is the leading candidate for just such a job in the Edmonton Oilers organization.

That the vacant position is in Springfield, Mass., with the Falcons, rather than Edmonton with the Oilers, constitutes a good news/bad news scenario for a man who has put 25 years into the business and has already been a reasonably successful head coach elsewhere in the American Hockey League.

He certainly realizes it's a good thing to be gainfully employed in his chosen field. After spending a year as an assistant coach and most of another as a scout with the Oilers, he also knows how valuable it is to maintain as close a connection as possible to a National Hockey League organization.

The bad news, for him at least, is the fact the Oilers' head-coaching vacancy is far more likely to go to a man who has the benefit of considerable head-coaching experience at the NHL level.

That's the prevailing wisdom now, though GM Steve Tambellini certainly did not tip his hand in that direction during the job interview he conducted with Daum on Tuesday at a quiet Rexall Place.

"We had a review of the season when I got back from Springfield," said Daum, who took the reins on the farm for the final 29 games after Tambellini fired Jeff Truitt in March. "This was more of a coaching discussion, that's the best way to put it, just a coaching discussion. Thoughts and philosophies." In retrospect, would you call it an interview? "Yeah, I guess it was," said Daum. "Steve doesn't know me as a coach. It was an opportunity to sit down and discuss coaching thoughts. I thought it was a positive conversation. When I talked to him about the Springfield situation, I mentioned to him that I wanted to coach. That was my desire. Whatever coaching positions were available, I was interested in talking about. This was more an opportunity for him to get to know my thoughts about coaching. It wasn't job specific." Oilers PR director J.J. Hebert said Friday afternoon that Tambellini will not speak about individual candidates for the coaching jobs that are available within the organization.

No surprise. Somewhere deep inside the vest that most people would hold their cards against is the vest inside which Tambellini's vest exists. That's how keenly he protects trade secrets, personnel reports and, for all we know, the family recipe for spaghetti sauce.

So, while he trots the continent conducting interviews and coaching discussions with candidates like Daum, Pat Quinn, Tom Renney, Marc Crawford, Todd Richards, Geoff Ward and whomever else is on the list, speculation runs rampant.

I don't think Daum is ready to take on the daily demands of an NHL head coaching post just yet, because they go beyond the core of technical skills he has mastered into realms where he is less comfortable and confident, areas like the constant, pressing demands of media and the public.

But he is certainly well-positioned to be their man under the lesser lights of Springfield for the final year of their affiliation arrangment with the Falcons ownership. He probably should have gotten more consideration for that job after Kelly Buchberger was elevated to an assistant's post in Edmonton, but Truitt had actually been tabbed for Springfield in the first place, and it seemed only fair to let him take over.

Daum parachuted into Springfield and squeezed eight wins and five ties out of a roster that was full value for last place in the league. He did not hurt himself going forward, as they like to say.

"I was happy with the job I did there," he said. "I thought our team improved over the time I was there. Our attitude and approach to the game, our competitive level went up when I was there. It sounds self-serving but I think our team got better." But it was just a start, a baby step toward respectability. The season had been so bad the Oilers actually issued a public apology to the Falcons' fan base. There is much work to be done there still with prospects and suspects and Daum is seen as the technician and teacher capable of accomplishing it. He knows the organization's personnel and that's a plus. He is a lifelong coach, and that's another. He racked up three national titles at the University of Alberta and did a fine job in Houston, winning 50 games in his first year.

But it's not yet enough to win him the Edmonton job and deep down I'm quite sure he knows it. And he has the good sense to qualify his answer when asked if he ought to be a serious candidate for the Oiler job.

"From my perspective, it just depends what the organization is looking for. If they're looking for someone with previous head coaching experience in the NHL, obviously I'm not a candidate. If not, I feel good putting my abilities and resume up against anybody in that other category."

dbarnes@thejournal.canwest.com

10Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 12:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

An announcement is coming within the hour... (Fan 590)

11Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 12:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

2pm EST is when the news will be released...

12Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 12:38 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Who will it be... Pat Quinn, Marc Crawford, Ryan McGill

13Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 12:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We need a poll.

14Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 12:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Who will it be... Pat Quinn, Marc Crawford, Ryan McGill

Both Quinn and Renney I think. Quinn as HC and Renney as AC. Plus, I think they'll announce that they're signing Jagr. This is potentially a pretty big presser for the Oil.

15Who Will Coach The Oilers? Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:We need a poll.

Then post one pragues :D

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum