GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy

+4
SensFan71
davetherave
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Green obviously wins this, but he's so close to a 4th winger that it's almost hard for me to call him a defenceman.

Andrei Markov comes 2nd IMO.

17GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Green obviously wins this, but he's so close to a 4th winger that it's almost hard for me to call him a defenceman.

No consideration of Scott Niedermayer or Brian Rafalski?

18GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:36 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:Green obviously wins this, but he's so close to a 4th winger that it's almost hard for me to call him a defenceman.

They're there, but they're not there for me.

I wouldn't argue against giving them the title though.

19GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:38 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

They're there, but they're not there for me.

I wouldn't argue against giving them the title though.

Have you watched Niedermayer play this year? A much more complete player than Green.

20GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:41 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Scott Niedermayer is more complete than Mike Green might ever approach.

However, I'm not sure that's pertinent to this award. From an offensive perspective, Green exceeds him.

Another guy who hasn't been mentioned but should is Marc Streit.

21GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Scott Niedermayer is more complete than Mike Green might ever approach.

However, I'm not sure that's pertinent to this award. From an offensive perspective, Green exceeds him.

From an offensive perspective, Scott Niedermayer is arguably a more complete player than Green.

Green's point totals are good, but he does not control the tempo of a game the way Niedermayer does.

Not even close.

22GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:11 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:Scott Niedermayer is more complete than Mike Green might ever approach.

From an offensive perspective, Scott Niedermayer is arguably a more complete player than Green.

Green's point totals are good, but he does not control the tempo of a game the way Niedermayer does.

Not even close.

Niedermayer, however, is not the same offensive threat that Green is.

Anyway, they're both great offensively and either could have the award.

23GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:21 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Not even close.

Just trying to offer a different perspective for you on what constitutes being 'offensively valuable'.

It's not just about the points such a defenseman accumulates for himself.

It's about how his all around offensive capability (inc. puck management, view of the play, control of tempo, contribution to transition game, ability to create scoring chances and sustained offensive pressure) drives the team's offense.

Bobby Orr was a perfect example...he also racked up the points...but then nobody has EVER come close to the skill of Bobby Orr...at least not in my lifetime of watching hockey.

I don't see how Green shines beyond his goal scoring.

24GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:26 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

He's also pretty good at skating, puck control and passing.

You're right, Niedermayer controls the tempo more than he does, but Green's exceptional at creating a counter-attack with his ability to spot a team-mate half-way up the ice and make a tape-to-tape pass.

25GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:He's also pretty good at skating, puck control and passing.

You're right, Niedermayer controls the tempo more than he does, but Green's exceptional at creating a counter-attack with his ability to spot a team-mate half-way up the ice and make a tape-to-tape pass.

Well, I will watch Green more closely next season...I am always skeptical though of someone as hyped as he is.

Green has done very little in the playoffs so far...Ovechkin has been the engine of the Caps, no?

26GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

I have a slight man crush on Neidermayer that re-started late March. He is so slick and controls every single facet of the game.

27GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:24 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I have a slight man crush on Niedermayer that re-started late March. He is so slick and controls every single facet of the game.

Aye, Scotty's a manly man he is now...LOL

GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Nieds_10

28GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Crying Not a fan of that specific picture.

29GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:58 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:He's also pretty good at skating, puck control and passing.

Well, I will watch Green more closely next season...I am always skeptical though of someone as hyped as he is.

Green has done very little in the playoffs so far...Ovechkin has been the engine of the Caps, no?

Personally, I think Backstrom has been the unsung hero for that team.

Niedermayer's obviously been vastly superior to Green in the post-season. But this is a regular-season award, isn't it?

30GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:00 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I have a slight man crush on Neidermayer that re-started late March. He is so slick and controls every single facet of the game.

Don't get me wrong, if you were to ask me who the better defenceman is, it'd be Nieds all the way.

Offensively, though, I think Green is superior.

31GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:32 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, if you were to ask me who the better defenceman is, it'd be Nieds all the way.

Offensively, though, I think Green is superior.

Ah, the joys of hockey talk...

:D:

32GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:41 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I'm torn between Redden and Meszaros! Our drop in goal scoring from last year to this year proves that!! Facepalm

I'm joking of course.

The Bobby Orr trophy shouldn't go to Gonchar this year, as he only played 25 games.

I would give an honourable mention to Andrei Markov, he is an underrated dman, does a lot for the Habs, especially on the PP. Sad thing is, he is even underrated among Habs fans, at least the ones I know.

Another honourable mention should go to Mark Streit, as he was a part of 28% of his team's goals, despite missing 8 games.

But my vote for best Offencive Dman for this year goes to Mike Green. He's the first Dman in over a decade to go over a point per game (lidstrom achieved a point/game in 2005) and the first dman to score over 30 goals since '93. He also led all Dmen in shooting percentage, meaning his large number goals aren't coming off an obscene number of shots, but because he has a hard and accurate shot.

33GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: GMHockey - Bobby Orr Trophy Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:52 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Mike Green isn't just a guy who can shoot. He brings so much more than that.

42 assists is no poor total.

EDIT: Give him an 82 game season and he'd have had over 50.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum