GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Boston Bruins at Montreal Canadiens, Wednesday April 22, 2009, 7pm ET

+10
Hockeyhero22000
Riprock
asq2
PTFlea
SensFan71
Cronie
SeawaySensFan
caissie_1
shabbs
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Price is Gainey's pick, starting from when he raised eyebrows by drafting him that early, to when he traded Huet and handed him the reins, to when he took over from Carbo and put Price back in, ending with putting him back after Halak stopped all the shots he faced in the third. If Gainey stays, I think it will be Halak who asks for a trade, but that's amoot point. Gainey will be canned and then the new guy coming in will probably move Price.

Well...if there's a new guy and a new philosophy, I can see Halak being moved and Price splitting the job with a guy like Manny Fernandez. The Habs need to make sure that Price is insulated if they want him to be successful. He's just...being anally savaged right now. cool)

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Price is Gainey's pick, starting from when he raised eyebrows by drafting him that early

That's what the Sens were so shocked at apparently. They expected Price to be available when they picked in 9th - and they were gonna take him. Ahhhhh!

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

For the Montreal fans to boo Price when the Habs are playing their last game of the year, with a decimated squad...what a fickle, ungrateful bunch these boo-birds are.

:KJK:

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

• Price was annoited the saviour in Montreal and didn't meet expectations
  • Gainey, at some level or another, bought into that far too early
  • Montreal fans and media are savagely brutal on the Canadiens, but especially their goalies.

Any one of these three statements could be enough to stunt a goalie's development, or cause him to ask for a trade; unfortunately, all three are in play in full force, and in a Centennial year where the expectations were through the roof.

I don't think that Gainey is given much of a chance - he'll be hung out to dry before being unceremoniously dumped by the club.

Price will openly ask to be traded; media will encourage it.

All this might have been avoided had Gainey chosen to hang on to Huet. They had a potential franchise goalie in their pocket and they may have destroyed him.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Watch Price get moved to some non-hockey part of the US and play lights-out...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:

• Montreal fans and media are savagely brutal on the Canadiens, but especially their goalies.

Any one of these three statements could be enough to stunt a goalie's development, or cause him to ask for a trade; unfortunately, all three are in play in full force, and in a Centennial year where the expectations were through the roof.

I don't think that Gainey is given much of a chance - he'll be hung out to dry before being unceremoniously dumped by the club.

All this might have been avoided had Gainey chosen to hang on to Huet. They had a potential franchise goalie in their pocket and they may have destroyed him.

Acro, IMHO it's important to distinguish between the media hype in Montreal and the player development strategy of Bob Gainey.

Gainey traded Huet because he did not believe he could afford to retain him as a free agent, which turned out to be correct.

Cristobal Huet was never a 'franchise goaltender' in Montreal. And I do not say that out of disrespect to him.

As their number one draft pick, Gainey felt Price was ready. In his first season, he did not disappoint. Price's personal issues subsequently undermined his performance.

It can be argued that Carbonneau failed to properly manage his young 'tender.

As to this being 'avoided', how?

The Montreal hockey media is, in large part, a rabid bunch of inquisitors, and no potential star is spared their probing microscope.

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Watch Price get moved to some non-hockey part of the US and play lights-out...

He'll take at least a year to recover from this. He doesn't even play the same style he did when he came into the NHL - he's much less confident.

Well I think, unfortunately, Price is a choker .. Sad

Something like a Jim Carrey when he came out ... or

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

HowieMorenz wrote:Well I think, unfortunately, Price is a choker .. Sad

Something like a Jim Carrey when he came out ... or

Well, good to see you have Howie Morenz instead of Jack as your avatar.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Acro, IMHO it's important to distinguish between the media hype in Montreal and the player development of Bob Gainey.

Gainey traded Huet because he did not believe he could afford to retain him as a free agent, which turned out to be correct.

Cristobal Huet was never a 'franchise goaltender' in Montreal. And I do not say that out of disrespect to him.

As their number one draft pick, Gainey felt Price was ready. In his first season, he did not disappoint. Price's personal issues subsequently undermined his performance.

It can be argued that Carbonneau failed to properly manage his young 'tender.

As to this being 'avoided', how?

The Montreal hockey media is, in large part, a rabid bunch of inquisitors, and no potential star is spared their probing microscope.

I hadn't implied that Huet should have been kept for the next year, just to the end of the season. Price had too much pressure going into the playoffs. There was a lot of media talk of him being the "next Dryden" or "next Roy".

Gainey was adamant that Price was ready; in fact that may have been one of the conflicts between him and his long-time friend, Guy. Carbonneau seemed intent on playing Halak, but Gainey pushed, then took over and played Price. This despite the fact that Halak's record was as good or better than Price's down the stretch this year.

Had Huet been on the bench instead of Halak during last year's playoffs, Price might have had a veteran presence to turn to when he had to deal with the pressures for the first time; instead, he had another kid who was as green as he was. Huet would have represented stability without threat, as he is a veteran, but certainly not a franchise goalie. This is the same situation that Elliot found himself in this year - Auld is certainly not conceding the position, but he had enough experience to provide a calming voice when necessary.

This year, Carbo did try to manage the goalies' development. Gainey needed "his" pick to look good, but as the team lost confidence, Price lost confidence in himself, and both spiralled downward. This could have been halted by putting Halak in more; he is more than capable. Whether Halak won or lost, it would have allowed time for Price to find his game again. Gainey won the battle with Carbo, but he lost the war.

As for the media - they are what they are. My point was that they are certainly more intense in Montreal than some other centres. They may not be much harsher on goalies than Ottawa media are, though...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Acro, all good points, and I am not disputing yours.

Huet was not an option for the reasons I cited.

Carbonneau, as we saw, did not manage his talent correctly. That includes Price.

The media, as we agree, is desperate to anoint heroes--whether they want to be anointed or not.

The hockey karma in Montreal is, shall we say, not in good shape.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:The hockey karma in Montreal is, shall we say, not in good shape.

I completely agree.

Many in the Canadiens organization will find themselves working in different cities next season.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
davetherave wrote:The hockey karma in Montreal is, shall we say, not in good shape.

I completely agree.

Many in the Canadiens organization will find themselves working in different cities next season.

The post mortem will now begin as the media vultures pick at the warm corpse.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

And such is the cruel humour of the hockey gods....

Last year, they looked down their noses at us as the Senators struggled. Now, ... we laugh :^^^^: :^^^:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:

This reminds me a little of Judas' solo at the start of JCS.

"And they'll hurt you when they find they're wrong".

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:Acro, all good points, and I am not disputing yours.

Huet was not an option for the reasons I cited.

Carbonneau, as we saw, did not manage his talent correctly. That includes Price.

The media, as we agree, is desperate to anoint heroes--whether they want to be anointed or not.

The hockey karma in Montreal is, shall we say, not in good shape.

They got, what, a 5th rounder for Huet? I think they could have afforded to keep him and let him walk in July.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:And such is the cruel humour of the hockey gods....

Last year, they looked down their noses at us as the Senators struggled. Now, ... we laugh :^^^^: :^^^:

Do not laugh at your opponent's misfortune, lest the aura of their demise envelop you...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:And such is the cruel humour of the hockey gods....

I'm not laughing. There are a few player on the Habs I can't stand, and the Ole fans are getting what they deserve, but there are still a lot of good people in that organization.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum