GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET PitPittsburgh at GAME OF THE NIGHT: Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET MonMontreal

7:00 PM ET, April 11, 2009
Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Penguins-Canadiens Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

The Pittsburgh Penguins hope to take the ice Saturday night still with a chance to get home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Evgeni Malkin feels his place in the points race is a lot more secure.

Malkin and the Penguins could have a lot at stake in their regular-season finale as they face another team headed to the playoffs when they visit the Montreal Canadiens.

It seemed uncertain Pittsburgh (44-28-9) would even make the postseason back in mid-February, but then-coach Michel Therrien was fired and the team has since gone 17-3-4 under Dan Bylsma to wrap up a playoff spot. Now the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference and home-ice advantage for the opening round are within reach going into the season's final weekend.

The Penguins are tied with Philadelphia and Carolina for the fourth-most points in the East with 97. If the Flyers and Hurricanes both lose Saturday afternoon, the
Penguins can grab the No. 4 spot with a win over the Canadiens (41-29-11). A Carolina win would end Pittsburgh's hopes at the fourth seed.

"We want to win as many games as we can," Penguins winger Pascal Dupuis said. "The standings are not set yet. We still want the home-ice advantage."

While Pittsburgh can finish no lower than sixth in the East, Montreal will end up seventh if it wins this game and the New York Rangers lose Sunday to the Flyers.

The Canadiens didn't clinch their place in the postseason until Thursday night with a 5-4 overtime loss at East-leading Boston, the team they will face in the first round if they finish eighth.

"We've had an up-and-down season but we kept it together tonight and stayed in the game," Montreal coach Bob Gainey said. "Our major objective was to get into the playoffs."

Malkin's main objective Saturday, especially if Pittsburgh can't move up to the No. 4 seed, will be holding on to the NHL points lead.

His 112 points are four better than Washington's Alex Ovechkin, who plays at Florida on Saturday night. Malkin's 106 points last season were second-best to Ovechkin's 112.

"Yeah, I feel good," said Malkin, who has four assists in the last two games -- three on goals by Sidney Crosby. "One game left, it's OK. I think it's too much points (for Ovechkin to catch him)."

When asked about Ovechkin possibly getting four points Saturday to tie for the league lead, Malkin replied, "I will score two. I will."

Malkin and Crosby each have three points in three meetings this season with Montreal, but the Penguins have lost two.

Pittsburgh will have a new source of offense Saturday with Miroslav Satan having cleared waivers Friday and getting recalled. He was sent to the AHL in a salary cap move at the March 4 trading deadline despite having 17 goals and 19 assists in 65 games.

The hottest player for Montreal has been Alex Kovalev, who has nine goals and eight assists in his last nine games.

Kovalev had one of the Canadiens' four second-period goals Thursday in Boston. Pushing the East's top team to overtime could give Montreal a boost, and a win over one of the league's hottest teams Saturday would provide another.

"The way we played on Thursday, there's no reason for us to be scared to face any team," Gainey said.

The Canadiens, though, are trying to snap a three-game losing streak during which they've allowed 11 goals.

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET Habs-p10

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Geno has scored in the first ninety seconds...as Price looks shaky on the play.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Tied up at one...and I guess there are no Pens fans on this forum.
Shrug

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

No Habs fans either or none present at the time.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:Tied up at one...and I guess there are no Pens fans on this forum.
Shrug

Nasty Nas is one... I'm not sure how often he comes on. It says he has connected within the last 24 hours though.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

This one's actually kind of a snoozer...not worthy of GOTN status I'm afraid...

tongue

Pens are shooting a lot but without results...

Hmm...third is looking a little more exciting.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Is Price playing well.. I see he's faced 37 shots, so I guess that's a pretty decent outing... Looks like he may actually be ready for the playoffs

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

2 in a row for the Pens... The last one not so strong from Price.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:Is Price playing well.. I see he's faced 37 shots, so I guess that's a pretty decent outing... Looks like he may actually be ready for the playoffs

Price was good in the 2nd...but...ready for the playoffs? Who knows?

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Alot of team's in the East have serious question's in goal.

Boston: Can Thomas step up in the playoffs and carry the Bruins?

Washington: We all know Theodore's history and his so so season.

NJ: Even Marty is showing he's human. But then again the post season is his time to shine.

Philly: Marty or Nitty. Either way it seem's quite shaky.

Pitts: Can Fleury duplicate last year's success

Carolina: As of today probably the better set team in the East. Ward is hot and has done it before.

Rangers: Is the King up for the challenge.

Montreal: The Price is not always rigth.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

caissie_1 wrote:Alot of team's in the East have serious question's in goal.

Boston: Can Thomas step up in the playoffs and carry the Bruins?

Washington: We all know Theodore's history and his so so season.

NJ: Even Marty is showing he's human. But then again the post season is his time to shine.

Philly: Marty or Nitty. Either way it seem's quite shaky.

Pitts: Can Fleury duplicate last year's success

Carolina: As of today probably the better set team in the East. Ward is hot and has done it before.

Rangers: Is the King up for the challenge.

Montreal: The Price is not always rigth.

Caissie, an EXCELLENT summary! :D:

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Wow, 2 Shorties on the same Penalty Kill... That's nuts.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Habs are battling hard, they just miss Markov too much.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

marakh wrote:Habs are battling hard, they just miss Markov too much.
When is Markov expected back?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
marakh wrote:Habs are battling hard, they just miss Markov too much.
When is Markov expected back?

Somewhere around game 7, which means his return may be in October Peter Schaefer Surre

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum