GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Intense Battles Highlight Playoff Matchups

+5
beedub
SensFan71
Cronie
SensGirl11
davetherave
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Intense battles highlight playoff matchups

Last Updated: Sunday, April 12, 2009 | 10:59 PM ET
CBC Sports

Intense Battles Highlight Playoff Matchups Stuart-mark090409ap
Another Canadiens-Bruins series should provide plenty of physical action for fans. (Charles Krupa/Associated Press)

With a rigorous 82-game schedule officially in the books, the real season begins for the 16 NHL teams in search of Lord Stanley's mug.

There will be plenty of storylines to follow when the Stanley Cup playoffs begin Wednesday night (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 7 p.m. ET) in Pittsburgh.

The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens will clash for a 32nd time in their storied rivalry. The Bruins are looking to beat a Montreal team that has already knocked them out three times this decade. It's been 15 years since Boston has ousted the Canadiens in a playoff series.

Philadelphia had a golden opportunity to nail down home ice advantage in the opening round, but dropped a 4-3 decision to the New York Rangers, forcing the Flyers to start on the road against the hated Penguins. The Flyers must also contend with stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, who became the fourth player in team history to win the Art Ross Trophy as leading NHL scorer.

Over in the Western Conference, the Vancouver Canucks used a late-season surge to snatch the Northwest crown away from Calgary. Due to injuries and salary cap issues, the Flames started only 15 skaters during their final two games.

The San Jose Sharks secured home ice throughout the playoffs, an important fact with the NHL club losing only five times at HP Pavilion.

Eastern Conference

(1) Boston (53-19-10, 116 points) vs. (8) Montreal (41-30-11, 93 points)
The Bruins were clearly the best team in the East and have beaten Montreal the last five times. However, Boston can't take Montreal lightly, especially when considering its past playoff failures against the Habs.
The teams have met in the post-season 31 times, with the Canadiens skating away with 24 series victories. Montreal's most recent conquest was a seven-game affair during last season's first round. The Bruins also held the No. 1 seed in 2002, only to fall to Montreal in the opening round in six games.

(2) Washington (50-24-8, 108 points) vs. (7) New York Rangers (43-30-9, 95 points)
Superstar sniper Alex Ovechkin, the Maurice (Rocket) Richard Trophy winner as the NHL's top scorer with 56 goals, leads the Capitals' attack. Washington, which cruised to the Southeast Division title by 11 points over Carolina, defeated the Rangers three of four times this season.

(3) New Jersey (51-27-4, 106 points) vs. (6) Carolina (45-30-7, 97 points)
New Jersey finished its campaign with a 3-2 win over the Hurricanes, and with forward Zach Parise, sport one of the most talented scorers in all of hockey. But Carolina upended the Devils in the first three contests of the year, outscoring New Jersey by a 9-5 margin.

(4) Pittsburgh (45-28-9, 99 points) vs. (5) Philadelphia (44-27-11, 99 points)
Although the Flyers would dearly love to gain a measure of revenge for having their post-season halted by the Penguins last year, advancing won't be easy. The Penguins, who eliminated Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference final in 2008, have won five of six games against their state rivals.

Western Conference

(1) San Jose (53-18-11, 117 points) vs. (8) Anaheim (42-33-7, 91 points)
Winners of the Presidents' Trophy as the NHL's best regular-season team, the Sharks continue one of the most intense rivalries in hockey against their fellow California foes. San Jose finished with a franchise record of 53 victories, while posting the league's best home mark of 32-5-4 this season. But Anaheim has beaten the Sharks in two of the six games, including a convincing 5-2 win in San Jose on April 4.

(2) Detroit (51-21-10, 112 points) vs. (7) Columbus (41-31-10, 92 points)
The Blue Jackets face a good and bad news scenario heading into the playoffs. Columbus reached the post-season for the first time in its nine-year existence. On the other hand, the team has the unenviable task of taking on the defending Stanley Cup champions. Although the Red Wings concluded the season 3-6-1, they remain a serious threat to repeat.

(3) Vancouver (45-27-10, 100 points) vs. (6) St. Louis (41-31-10, 92 points)
In Roberto Luongo, the Canucks have one the best goaltenders in the NHL. That's a very good thing considering Vancouver struggled to score this season. The Canucks managed just 246 goals, the fourth worst total among West playoff teams. The Blues, who split a four-game set with Vancouver this year, are in the post-season for the first time since 2004, and had the best second-half record in the NHL (25-9-7).

(4) Chicago (46-24-12, 104 points) vs. (5) Calgary (46-30-6, 98 points)
The Flames are banged up and face a Chicago team that's handled them quite easily this season. Calgary is 0-3-1 against the Blackhawks, while being outscored 19-7. Another problem for the Flames: all four games were played when the team was healthy.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

The Blues, who split a four-game set with Vancouver this year, are in the post-season for the first time since 2004, and had the best second-half record in the NHL (25-9-7).

Really??!! I had NO IDEA!

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How many hours till puck drop? 3.5?!? WOO HOO!!!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:How many hours till puck drop? 3.5?!? WOO HOO!!!

am more looking forward to game one of the Hab nots and Killer B's series, am so itching for the B's to slaughter the Habs, then we don't have to hear "ole" any more......this season.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I actually think Montreal will squeek one out here.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

A series Beedub?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:I actually think Montreal will squeek one out here.

A game you mean?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

A game you mean?

The games in Boston are critical...if Montreal wins one, the dynamic changes...and there's nothing like being an underdog.

Even David beat Goliath.

cool)

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:

A game you mean?

The games in Boston are critical...if Montreal wins one, the dynamic changes...and there's nothing like being an underdog.

Even David beat Goliath.

cool)

Boston has multiple goliaths lol. Tantrum

Mariposa Belle

Mariposa Belle
Prospect
Prospect

Looking forward to this second season. I'm hoping Boston belts the Habs all the way through the boards and into the Charles the first game.

Got the beer fridge full, I'm ready for action.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:

A game you mean?

Even David beat Goliath.

cool)

...LOL... Montreal has an equal number of 'davids'... :pirat:

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:

A game you mean?

Even David beat Goliath.

cool)

...LOL... Montreal has an equal number of 'davids'... :pirat:

touche, I just like my odds with more goliaths, one of them falls and takes out all the davids lol. Laughing3

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Must...work...until...9.... Tantrum

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Must...work...until...9.... Tantrum

am done in 20 minutes, whoo hoo lol

shabbs

shabbs