GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leafs continue to build through free agency

+8
SensFan71
davetherave
wprager
asq2
PKC
Cronie
PTFlea
shabbs
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Why does everyone have such a hard on for Schenn?

I think he's a great young defenseman, but I wouldn't build a team around him...the same way you wouldn't build a team around Anton Volchenkov, Jason Smith or Greg Zanon.

I've secretly wondered this from the moment they took him. Franchise D-man? Perhaps, but not the be all to end all, that's for sure.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

I think he's a great young defenseman, but I wouldn't build a team around him...the same way you wouldn't build a team around Anton Volchenkov, Jason Smith or Greg Zanon.

I've secretly wondered this from the moment they took him. Franchise D-man? Perhaps, but not the be all to end all, that's for sure.

In Toronto he is, the media there has the ability to do that, make you a freaking superstar or a piece o' Dung, we should be loving the fact that is who they think is a franchise player.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

It's Toronto's hockey karma...it's been effed up for decades...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:It's Toronto's hockey karma...it's been effed up for decades...

:drinking: cheers to many more decades of it being effed. better the Leafs than us. :___:

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:In Toronto he is, the media there has the ability to do that, make you a freaking superstar or a piece o' Dung, we should be loving the fact that is who they think is a franchise player.

The second shared his delight at being chosen by "Canada's Team" in the draft, he was instantly in the piece o'Dung category for me.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

did he really say that about "canada's team" i didnt realize that

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:did he really say that about "canada's team" i didnt realize that

You better Diddle believe he said it. Instant piece of Dung.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

you are right i kinda liked him before but that kind of ignorance adn arogance annoys me

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:you are right i kinda liked him before but that kind of ignorance adn arogance annoys me

That's all it takes, my friend.

Good defensive defenseman are fantastic to have, and possibly even essential, but they don't win you championships on their own, and you don't build a team around them.

And that's all that Schenn is, a defensive defenseman. Teams need defensemen that are great going both ways to build around -- Pronger, Niedermayer, Green, Markov, Boyle, etc...

If Burke had a chance to move up to first in the draft by trading Toronto's first and Luke Schenn, he'd be a damn idiot for not doing it.

I would agree with the assessment that you don't build a franchise around a guy like Schenn, but he's an essential part. He's got some untapped offensive upside. Certainly more than the 3 guys you mentioned anyway.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:In Toronto he is, the media there has the ability to do that, make you a freaking superstar or a piece o' Dung, we should be loving the fact that is who they think is a franchise player.

The second shared his delight at being chosen by "Canada's Team" in the draft, he was instantly in the piece o'Dung category for me.

Perhaps the perception that players have about Toronto is different than that shared by many on this site.

I read, I believe on TSN.ca, that Tavares, when he heard that Burke was making a serious pitch to get him, was jacked. He was very excited to play in Toronto. It appears that players do not perceive it as the 'black hole' as some fans do.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Perhaps the perception that players have about Toronto is different than that shared by many on this site.

I read, I believe on TSN.ca, that Tavares, when he heard that Burke was making a serious pitch to get him, was jacked. He was very excited to play in Toronto. It appears that players do not perceive it as the 'black hole' as some fans do.

what you don't see on interviews like that is TSN force feeds Tavares a script. did you not know its taboo to bash the Leafs on the Toronto Sports Network, you will be tar and feathered or you will head to the gallows. In all seriousness, Tavares knows Toronto is a good place for him to play because he won't be eased in, he will be on their # 1 line, its the same reason Bozak went there over Ottawa, loads of playing time because the rest of their team is garbage.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Were that the entire truth, then he should praying and hoping that NYI is successful, as IMO, there is no worse a team, or no better team to showcase himself on than the Islanders. No offense, but NYI is in much worse shape than TO.

I believe he truly feels that Toronto is where he needs to be. I am sure it's a sentiment shared by a lot more players than you think.....

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:Were that the entire truth, then he should praying and hoping that NYI is successful, as IMO, there is no worse a team, or no better team to showcase himself on than the Islanders. No offense, but NYI is in much worse shape than TO.

I believe he truly feels that Toronto is where he needs to be. I am sure it's a sentiment shared by a lot more players than you think.....

I always thought the allure was more after you have been playing for awhile, won a cup, then yeah, play for the Leafs, as much as I hate them, other than the Habs, they are one of the most storied franchises in the league. Your point about the playing time in NYI is valid, Tavares would have the same opportunity in NY as he would in Toronto, difference being like you said, the Islanders don't seem to be moving forward. The Islanders too though do have a storied franchise as well, the dynasty days under Al Arbour, but no where near the Leafs. There were rumours about this being a Lindros situation with Tavares saying he refuses to play for the Isles

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote: There were rumours about this being a Lindros situation with Tavares saying he refuses to play for the Isles

I heard Kypreos plant that little seed in Garth Snow's head yesterday.

He might as well just have said "trade the pick to my hero, Burkie, because Tavares won't play for you anyway".

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensFan71 wrote: There were rumours about this being a Lindros situation with Tavares saying he refuses to play for the Isles

I heard Kypreos plant that little seed in Garth Snow's head yesterday.

He might as well just have said "trade the pick to my hero, Burkie, because Tavares won't play for you anyway".

I can see that dirty little snake Kypreos doing that, I know if I was Snow, I would politely tell Burke to DIDDLE OFF.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum