GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leafs continue to build through free agency

+8
SensFan71
davetherave
wprager
asq2
PKC
Cronie
PTFlea
shabbs
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He's got picks.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:He's got picks.

He's 'The Burke' LOL

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Word is he wants real playing time right from the start. How many teams can offer that?

Toronto - with no problems at all. They'll just trade Toskala.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Excellent point Heater. Smile

Good on Burke for looking busy anyway. LOL

But seriously, this Slaney fella (from checking around) definitely had some padded stats and numbers...

well if he is not busy, the media will outcry big time in Toronto lol, either that or he is just making a smokescreen so the media/fans don't nail him over not getting a higher pick, because realistically, Burke is not getting in the top 3 without Schenn's name being included in trade talk, I can't imagine it anyway unless the other GM's are stunned.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm still wondering about this "favour" of a trade Burke did with the Bolts at the deadline. Perhaps that will factor in when making a deal with them.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I'm still wondering about this "favour" of a trade Burke did with the Bolts at the deadline. Perhaps that will factor in when making a deal with them.

Maybe Burkie takes Vinnie off their hands LOL

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:I'm still wondering about this "favour" of a trade Burke did with the Bolts at the deadline. Perhaps that will factor in when making a deal with them.

He essentially bought a pick for cash from the Bolts. That Petiot guy they got was seeing some ice time too anyway. I don't think there's any collateral deal.

The Name Dropper asserted that Burke is "not a blowhard" and that he is very "calculated" and knows the value of his assets vs. other teams assets. Essentially confirming that the lottery balls are of no consequence when Burke wants that first pick.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

He essentially bought a pick for cash from the Bolts. That Petiot guy they got was seeing some ice time too anyway. I don't think there's any collateral deal.

The Name Dropper asserted that Burke is "not a blowhard" and that he is very "calculated" and knows the value of his assets vs. other teams assets. Essentially confirming that the lottery balls are of no consequence when Burke wants that first pick.

Who/what does Burke offer for that pick? Besides Kaberle?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Who/what does Burke offer for that pick? Besides Kaberle?

Vesa Toskala and a 7th round pick. I mean, come on, it's Brian Burke. He's a genius.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

you would have to assume Schenn is part of it, and if Burke is damn stupid enough to do that, he will be hung, am sure of it. none of the rest of the roster are worth dick all.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Seriously, why are people (fans and pundits alike) making Burke out to be this big, bad, monster-genius GM...?!?!

Did I miss something?!?! Christ, the way Pierre "I Used to BE SOMEBODY" MacGuire is talking, it's like Burke is going to snag the 1st or 2nd overall simply because he COVETS it... LOL!

Truly pathetic... I stand by my original statement and I genuinely mean this: while there's a rivalry between my beloved Sens and the Leafs, Leafs fans have my sincerest sympathies as Burke is going to KILL that team even WORSE than JFJ... BOOK IT!

Never, EVER, underestimate the power of a megalomaniac!!

EDIT: Also, in reference to Burke, I'm reminded of Einstein's famous quip: "The only difference between Genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits."

Last edited by Cronie on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Seriously, why are people (fans and pundits alike) making Burke out to be this big, bad, monster-genius GM...?!?!

Did I miss something?!?! Christ, the way Pierre "I Used to BE SOMEBODY" MacGuire is talking, it's like Burke is going to snag the 1st or 2nd overall simply because he COVETS it... LOL!

Truly pathetic... I stand by my original statement and I genuinely mean this: while there's a rivalry between my beloved Sens and the Leafs, Leafs fans have my sincerest sympathies as Burke is going to KILL that team even WORSE than JFJ... BOOK IT!

but if he doesn't pass out NMC/NTC's like they are candy, he will do alright lol.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cronie wrote:Seriously, why are people (fans and pundits alike) making Burke out to be this big, bad, monster-genius GM...?!?!

I think he'll build a competitive house of cards like he's done before and while the team is competitive, the media will marvel at how he turned things around in far less than 5-years, etc.

Buy stocks in BarfBagCo, they will have a good run.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Why does everyone have such a hard on for Schenn?

I think he's a great young defenseman, but I wouldn't build a team around him...the same way you wouldn't build a team around Anton Volchenkov, Jason Smith or Greg Zanon.

Good defensive defenseman are fantastic to have, and possibly even essential, but they don't win you championships on their own, and you don't build a team around them.

And that's all that Schenn is, a defensive defenseman. Teams need defensemen that are great going both ways to build around -- Pronger, Niedermayer, Green, Markov, Boyle, etc...

If Burke had a chance to move up to first in the draft by trading Toronto's first and Luke Schenn, he'd be a damn idiot for not doing it.

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

EDIT: Also, in reference to Burke, I'm reminded of Einstein's famous quip: "The only difference between Genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits."

I am not a fan of Burke, either while he was with Anaheim or now that he is in Toronto. But come on...worse than JFJ?!? That is a very bold statement. JFJ is the reason why the Leafs will not advance anywhere for a few more years. Every move he made was the wrong one. Burke may not be the saviour of the Leafs, but there is no way he is the anit-Christ that JFJ was.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Why does everyone have such a hard on for Schenn?

I think he's a great young defenseman, but I wouldn't build a team around him...the same way you wouldn't build a team around Anton Volchenkov, Jason Smith or Greg Zanon.

I've secretly wondered this from the moment they took him. Franchise D-man? Perhaps, but not the be all to end all, that's for sure.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:Why does everyone have such a hard on for Schenn?

I've secretly wondered this from the moment they took him. Franchise D-man? Perhaps, but not the be all to end all, that's for sure.

In Toronto he is, the media there has the ability to do that, make you a freaking superstar or a piece o' Dung, we should be loving the fact that is who they think is a franchise player.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

It's Toronto's hockey karma...it's been effed up for decades...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum