GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down?

+2
asq2
davetherave
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I guess the big surprise for me was that Vancouver did nothing, yes I know they signed Burrows the day before, and yes, that was huge for them. But, you can't tell me that Van is confident with what they have while watching Calgary and Edmonton beef up a bit?

17D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:I guess the big surprise for me was that Vancouver did nothing, yes I know they signed Burrows the day before, and yes, that was huge for them. But, you can't tell me that Van is confident with what they have while watching Calgary and Edmonton beef up a bit?

The Canucks are a dangerous team...beyond Luongo and Sundin, Kesler and Burrows are players who can change a game. The Sedins are always an offensive threat. They can roll four lines.

Their defense has pulled together. They added Vaananen from Philly and have seven healthy d-men on the depth chart.

Gillis has defied his critics. If Vancouver keeps playing as they have for the last month they could make some playoff teams very uncomfortable.

18D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:14 am

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

I think the best thing Vancouver could have done is stand pat.

Too many times teams make heavy acquisitions and fiddle around with team chemistry, thereby shooting themselves in the foot.

I think Vancouver is cheering Calgary along. IMO with a guy like Jokinen it takes a lot longer than 20 games to develop chemistry.

Vancouver took a risk on Sundin, yep, but at least they had an extra 20 games to develop chemistry, and it's working.

I think Calgary shot itself in the foot, although Leopold was a nice pick up

19D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:20 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Watch now as virtual garbage is being tossed at my head. IMO, Toronto did well at this deadline day.

They rid themselves of cap space for next year for about 2.1 million dollars.

They rid themselves of two UFA's who could have been detrimental to Burke's plan for the team next year.

People seem to think that Burke lost his mind with the Kolzig et all trade, but really he took on some temporary salary for this year, to get himself another pick (albeit a 4th rounder). None of these players ever wears the blue and white.

He said going in he wanted picks. He came out with ......wait for it......picks. Imagine!

Nobody will be able to accurately assess Burke's effect on this team until probably after next year. Until them I am curious, but probably I'll be curious all by myself.

20D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

26. Toronto: Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers< Tampa: Richard Petiot

Winner Toronto: Any time you can add a draft pick for nothing, it's a good thing.

25. Edmonton: Ales Kotalik < Anaheim: EDM 2nd round pick

Winner: Buffalo. Replacing Kotalik with Moore is a smart and savvy move. I think Moore fits in with the Sabres like a glove.

24. Edmonton: Patrick O'Sullivan < Carolina: Erik Cole

Winner: Edmonton. Nice move here. O'Sullivan has some major upside and will probably play with Hemsky. If it doesn't work, they gave up a UFA. It's good.

23. LA: Justin Williams < Carolina (Patrick O'Sullivan > Erik Cole)

Winner: LA. Justin Williams is a killer when healthy. When healthy is the concern, but I still like the move.

22. San Jose: Travis Moen, Kent Huskins < Anaheim TBD

No winner. Close to being an Anaheim win though, Bonino has a lot of upside, but Moen is a proven playoff grinder and Huskins will help a lot. Pielmeier is an average goaltending prospect who would never see the light of day in SJ.

21. Columbus: Kevin Lalande < Calgary: CLB 4th round pick

Winner Columbus. Draft picks don't grow on trees, but this guy's numbers are extraordinary. Never see the NHL in Calgary, but might have a future. Good gamble.

20. Philadelphia: Kyle McLaren < SJ: PHI 6th rounder

No winner. To get something for McLaren is nice, Philly gets some depth.

19. Chicago: Sammy Pahlsson < Anaheim: James Wisniewski

Winner Chicago. We all know what Pahlsson can bring to the table for a playoff team. Good gamble.

18. Florida: Steve Eminger < Tampa Bay: Noah Welch, FLA 3rd rounder

Winner Tampa Bay. 3rd round pick is good enough, but Welch as well? I like it. Eminger is average at best.

17. Atlanta: Eric O'Dell < Anaheim: Erik Christensen

Winner Atlanta. O'Dell is a good prospect, Christensen is a never was.

16. Buffalo: Dominic Moore < Toronto: BUF 2nd rounder

Winner Buffalo. Way to go! Wait until the last second, pay a hefty price, but get the guy that best compliments your team. One of the better moves of the day yesterday.

15. NY Rangers: Derek Morris < Phoenix: Dmitri Kalinin, Nigel Dawes, Petr Prucha

Winner NY Rangers. Morris is a rental, but he'll add some toughness to a sad D. Prucha wasn't needed, Kalinin wasn't needed, Dawes is collateral damage. All good for the Rangers.

14. NY Rangers: Nik Antropov < Toronto: NYR 2nd rounder

Winner NY Rangers. Good move. Big body, should be a nice complimentary player to Gomez. I like this a lot. Hefty price, but a good gamble.

13. Philadelphia: Daniel Carcillo < Phoenix: Scott Upshall, PHI 2nd rounder

No winner. Carcillo is a great young, tough player who lost his way big time. Upshall is okay, the 2nd is great.

12. Pittsburgh: Bill Guerin < NY Islanders: PIT 5th rounder

Winner Pittsburgh (by a landslide). One of the best deals of the day. This could be as high as a 3rd rounder - and that's still a steal! What happened Garth?

11. Boston: Mark Recchi < Tampa: Matt Lashoff, Martins Karsums

No winner. Great move when all is said and done. Tampa Bay did exactly what Ottawa did with Campoli, but they got two decent prospects. Boston gets the guy I think might make the most difference from the veteran rental class.

10. Toronto: Erik Reitz < NY Rangers on waivers

No winner. Seriously.

9. Anaheim: Petteri Nokelainen < Boston: Steve Montador

Meh. No real winner here.

8. Calgary: Olli Jokinen < Phoenix: Matthew Lombardi, Brandon Prust, CGY 1st rounder

Winner Calgary. If Calgary is okay with it's farm system getting a little thin, then this is the best move of the day.

7. Pittsburgh: Craig Adams < Chicago on waivers

Meh.

6. Buffalo: Mikael Tellqvist < Phoenix: BUF 4th rounder

Winner Buffalo. Why not add some insurance? A good team guy too.

5. Dallas: Brendan Morrison < Anaheim on waivers

Winner Dallas. No market I guess, but will help a lot until Richards is back.

4. Toronto: Martin Gerber < Ottawa on waivers

Dear goodness - it certainly isn't Toronto that won this.

3. Pittsburgh: Andy Wozniewski < St. Louis: Danny Richmond

Meh.

2. Calgary: Jordan Leopold < Colorado: Lawrence Nycholat, Ryan Wilson, CGY 2nd rounder

Winner Calgary. What a great addition, someone who's been with the core before, has been to the Finals with you before. 2nd rounder is tough, Wilson may become a decent player, but in the end, all good.

1. Ottawa: Pascal Leclaire, CLB 2nd rounder < Antoine Vermette

No winner. Or if there is, it's because of the 2nd round pick going to Ottawa. Good gamble for both teams. Even if Vermette doesn't score, we all know what he can do in the FO dot, or killing penalties etc. Leclaire was one of the brighter goalies coming into the league before injuries hit him. If he recovers I would dare say that Ottawa will win this. Time will tell though.

21D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:Watch now as virtual garbage is being tossed at my head. IMO, Toronto did well at this deadline day.

They rid themselves of cap space for next year for about 2.1 million dollars.

They rid themselves of two UFA's who could have been detrimental to Burke's plan for the team next year.

People seem to think that Burke lost his mind with the Kolzig et all trade, but really he took on some temporary salary for this year, to get himself another pick (albeit a 4th rounder). None of these players ever wears the blue and white.

He said going in he wanted picks. He came out with ......wait for it......picks. Imagine!

Nobody will be able to accurately assess Burke's effect on this team until probably after next year. Until them I am curious, but probably I'll be curious all by myself.

ah Burke is still a blowhard lol, hope Toronto likes that in a GM.

22D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 am

SensFan71 wrote:

ah Burke is still a blowhard lol, hope Toronto likes that in a GM.

The biggest thing I worry about Burke, not his GM skills, it's his whining skills and the fact that Pee Wee listens to him. That will suck for us.

23D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
The biggest thing I worry about Burke, not his GM skills, it's his whining skills and the fact that Pee Wee listens to him. That will suck for us.

Pee Wee Mguire?

24D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:56 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Just looking at how much work Burke needs to do, starting with the goalie on out, to rebuild the Leafs--he probably did about as well as he could considering he didn't offer up any marquee talent (Kaberle, Kubina).

He got draft picks for Antro and Moore, so it's a start.

IMHO he will be a big spender in June. MLSE will give him the green light to go for Pronger and/or JayBo...or both.

He might even make a pitch for Spezza.

25D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:58 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Just looking at how much work Burke needs to do, starting with the goalie on out, to rebuild the Leafs--he probably did about as well as he could considering he didn't offer up any marquee talent (Kaberle, Kubina).

He got draft picks for Antro and Moore, so it's a start.

IMHO he will be a big spender in June. MLSE will give him the green light to go for Pronger and/or JayBo...or both.

He might even make a pitch for Spezza.

Kubina wouldn't waive his NTC, but if the Leafs miss the playoffs, both Kaberle and Kubina's NTC will be lifted.

Kubina's gonzo I'm sure.

26D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 am

504Heater wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Pee Wee Mguire?

Pee Wee Bettman...

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 2008-02-07_195848_PeeWeeHerman-1-749569

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Gary-bettman1

27D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh yeah...fair enough.

28D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:05 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:
504Heater wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Pee Wee Mguire?

Pee Wee Bettman...

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 2008-02-07_195848_PeeWeeHerman-1-749569

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Gary-bettman1

the resemblance is scary, has bettman ever done anything in a theater he shouldn't have? does he like the olsen twins too?

29D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:21 am

SensFan71 wrote:

the resemblance is scary, has bettman ever done anything in a theater he shouldn't have? does he like the olsen twins too?

Unfortunately it went sideways for Pee Wee...

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Pee-wee-herman-mugshot

30D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Unfortunately it went sideways for Pee Wee...

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Pee-wee-herman-mugshot

really thought that was his mugshot there. Long live the Spleen (for those of you who watched Mystery Men)

31D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^ That is his mugshot, is it not?

32D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? - Page 2 Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:^ That is his mugshot, is it not?

the numbers must be down below where the picture is cut off.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum