GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down?

+2
asq2
davetherave
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The March 4 Trade D-Day has come and gone with more than twenty deals involving over forty players.

Was it good for you?

Which deals get your thumbs up?

Which ones get your thumbs down?

Which deals surprised you?

Which ones did you expect, but didn't happen?

Who made out?

Who missed out?

http://www.corussports.com/transactions2009/

26. Toronto: Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers< Tampa: Richard Petiot

25. Edmonton: Ales Kotalik < Anaheim: EDM 2nd round pick

24. Edmonton: Patrick O'Sullivan < Carolina: Erik Cole

23. LA: Justin Williams < Carolina (Patrick O'Sullivan > Erik Cole)

22. San Jose: Travis Moen, Kent Huskins < Anaheim TBD

21. Columbus: Kevin Lalande < Calgary: CLB 4th round pick

20. Philadelphia: Kyle McLaren < SJ: PHI 6th rounder

19. Chicago: Sammy Pahlsson < Anaheim: James Wisniewski

18. Florida: Steve Eminger < Tampa Bay: Noah Welch, FLA 3rd rounder

17. Atlanta: Eric O'Dell < Anaheim: Erik Christensen

16. Buffalo: Dominic Moore < Toronto: BUF 2nd rounder

15. NY Rangers: Derek Morris < Phoenix: Dmitri Kalinin, Nigel Dawes, Petr Prucha

14. NY Rangers: Nik Antropov < Toronto: NYR 2nd rounder

13. Philadelphia: Daniel Carcillo < Phoenix: Scott Upshall, PHI 2nd rounder

12. Pittsburgh: Bill Guerin < NY Islanders: PIT 5th rounder

11. Boston: Mark Recchi < Tampa: Matt Lashoff, Martins Karsums

10. Toronto: Erik Reitz < NY Rangers on waivers

9. Anaheim: Petteri Nokelainen < Boston: Steve Montador

8. Calgary: Olli Jokinen < Phoenix: Matthew Lombardi, Brandon Prust, CGY 1st rounder

7. Pittsburgh: Craig Adams < Chicago on waivers

6. Buffalo: Mikael Tellqvist < Phoenix: BUF 4th rounder

5. Dallas: Brendan Morrison < Anaheim on waivers

4. Toronto: Martin Gerber < Ottawa on waivers

3. Pittsburgh: Andy Wozniewski < St. Louis: Danny Richmond

2. Calgary: Jordan Leopold < Colorado: Lawrence Nycholat, Ryan Wilson, CGY 2nd rounder

1. Ottawa: Pascal Leclaire, CLB 2nd rounder < Antoine Vermette

Salary and roster details at http://nhlnumbers.com/

Player profiles at http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/index.html

:geek:

2D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:58 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Deals I like are the O'Sullivan deal for Edmonton, the Pahlsson deal for Chicago, the O'Dell deal for Atlanta and the Carcillo deal for Philadelphia.

Names like Huskins, Pahlsson, Carcillo, Kotalik and O'Sullivan were surprising to see moved IMO.

I expected Ponikarovsky and Kuba to get moved.

I'm a little disappointed that Pronger didn't get moved, but I'm glad he's still in the West.

Still think the Wings should have pursued maybe a defenceman and a goalie. Their top-2 d-men and forward corps are better than anyone else's, but Kronwall and Stuart are struggling a bit, as is Osgood.

Calgary, on paper, looks very strong. Phoenix has got to be kicking themselves right now: they gave up Keith freakin' Ballard as a centrepiece for Jokinen and got back Matthew "two weeks shy of my 27th birthday" Lombardi as a centrepiece.

Over-all, I felt it was pretty underwhelming, but no trade deadline can live up to the hype IMO.

3D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

My two cents:

Big winners in the short term: Calgary, Rangers

Losers: Brian Burke (because he moved some bodies but not much else)

Could be big upside: Ottawa gets a happy and healthy Pascal Leclaire...if the kid is 100% he can smoke 'em.

Get me to the playoffs...please: Edmonton snags Kotalik and O'Sullivan

Good deal: Scott Howson sheds some salary, while picking up a center for Rick Nash and replacement for Mike Peca in 'Tony' Vermette

Good deal: Philly gets superpest Danny Carcillo

Good deal: Chicago gets shut down and faceoff ninja Slammin Sammy Pahlsson in time for their first playoff appearance since 2001-02.

Shiny happy people: Wayne Gretzky unloads some big contracts and gets a bucketful of affordable talent to play with

Surprise, surprise: the Flames and Rangers deals; Bryan Murray actually pulling the trigger for Pascal Puckstopper.

Not a bad day IMHO.

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

4D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:19 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Actually, I think Sather gave up a lot for Morris. The Antropov deal was nice though.

5D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Actually, I think Sather gave up a lot for Morris. The Antropov deal was nice though.

Of course Slats gave up a lot for Morris...that his cigar-chompin' way of doing things LOL.

IMHO Torts will turn Antro into a dangerous player.

6D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Is it possible that the Rangers did a lot and at the same time may not have done anything? lol. Those trades wont help them a lick.

7D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Is it possible that the Rangers did a lot and at the same time may not have done anything? lol. Those trades wont help them a lick.

N4L, I'll respectfully disagree with you on that...Sather moved some bodies that Tortorella didn't need, and brought in some that Torts can work with.

Morris and Antro are big dudes who, activated by a meat-eating bench boss like JT, can do some damage to the opposition.

Then there's The Mouth. Love him or hate him, A-Sean can also help the Blueshirts because he hates to lose as much as Torts does.

8D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Ya, I just dont see it working for the Rangers honestly, you cant force chemistry, it will take a while, on top of that, their go to guys still are not go to guys...

New coach, new players, its basically a new team, I cant see them holding on.

9D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Ya, I just dont see it working for the Rangers honestly, you cant force chemistry, it will take a while, on top of that, their go to guys still are not go to guys...

New coach, new players, its basically a new team, I cant see them holding on.

Not to mention they still have to play Redden...oh the comedy of this team, it never gets old.

10D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:08 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

N4L, PKC, it's clear you two have no love lost for the Rangers... Wink

We'll see what Tortorella does...especially now that the Pens have added some assets...

Nice little playoff race in the East now...Habs, Panthers, Rangers, Pens, Sabres, Canes...who makes it, who misses out?

11D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:40 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not sure, but I'm not sure it matters. The battle for the last spots should be interesting for both conferences, but then it's

Boston, New Jersey, Washington as a first round match-up in the East and Detroit, San Jose, and Calgary in the West.

I'm not sure I see a lot of early round upsets.

12D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ASQ, the matchup I have questions about is Washington-Florida...the Panthers have already shown they can make life miserable for the Caps. Last time out, the Cats whacked 'em 6-2 with Anderson in net.

Pete DeBoer may be a candidate for Coach of the Year...

In the West...

...the Jackets could upset the higher seed, whether it's the Sharks or Wings, having beaten both of them, and they've played the Flames even this year. If Steve Mason and Rick Nash play as big as they can, and Hitch works his defensive magic, anything can happen.

The Preds, if they snag the 8th spot, can surprise...they pasted the Wings 8-0 a few days ago. Pekka Rinne is smokin'. Barry Trotz is getting some pretty good hockey out of them.

Watch 'em play a few games, and tell me what you think...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/standings/playoffrace

13D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I guess the big surprise for me was that Vancouver did nothing, yes I know they signed Burrows the day before, and yes, that was huge for them. But, you can't tell me that Van is confident with what they have while watching Calgary and Edmonton beef up a bit?

14D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:I guess the big surprise for me was that Vancouver did nothing, yes I know they signed Burrows the day before, and yes, that was huge for them. But, you can't tell me that Van is confident with what they have while watching Calgary and Edmonton beef up a bit?

The Canucks are a dangerous team...beyond Luongo and Sundin, Kesler and Burrows are players who can change a game. The Sedins are always an offensive threat. They can roll four lines.

Their defense has pulled together. They added Vaananen from Philly and have seven healthy d-men on the depth chart.

Gillis has defied his critics. If Vancouver keeps playing as they have for the last month they could make some playoff teams very uncomfortable.

15D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Empty Re: D-Day: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down? Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:14 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I think the best thing Vancouver could have done is stand pat.

Too many times teams make heavy acquisitions and fiddle around with team chemistry, thereby shooting themselves in the foot.

I think Vancouver is cheering Calgary along. IMO with a guy like Jokinen it takes a lot longer than 20 games to develop chemistry.

Vancouver took a risk on Sundin, yep, but at least they had an extra 20 games to develop chemistry, and it's working.

I think Calgary shot itself in the foot, although Leopold was a nice pick up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum