GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Don Waddell talks about Trade Deadline (Hossa) last year - GREAT READ

+3
Urkie
Jordo
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What an interesting read this was. I read the full article, but I thought Waddell was the frankest of them all. Very entertaining stuff:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3946240

The Hossa Trade...Shero makes Waddell sweat bullets.

"At 2 p.m., I've got it narrowed down to three teams," said Waddell. "Pittsburgh was in, but they weren't leading. Detroit was the other team in the group with Montreal. Pittsburgh called me in the morning and asked me where I was, and [Pens GM] Ray [Shero] was pretty sure they weren't going to be in it. The price was going to be too high for him. Ray and I have a good relationship, so it was an open dialogue.

"I didn't hear from Ray for four hours or so. It was probably close to 2 p.m. when I heard from Ray again. At that point, I still didn't feel like he was leading the charge. If I had to make the deal at 2 p.m., it would not have been with Pittsburgh."

It would have been with Montreal, we believe.

"From 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., I touched base with the other two teams. Detroit told us, at this point, that they were done tweaking, this was the best they could do. So I knew where [Wings GM Ken Holland] was at. By 2:30, Ray touched base again. I told him, 'It's getting close to the deadline. If you're in, you better step up quickly.' He asked me exactly what it was going to take. We were at two assets at that point, but Esposito and Armstrong were not in the deal. He called me back around 2:35 p.m. and threw in Esposito's name. I said to him if he threw Armstrong in as well, we had a deal. That was about 2:40. He said, 'I can't do it, I can't do it.' I said, 'Are you telling me you're out?' He said, 'Give me five minutes.'"

Those were the longest five minutes of Waddell's life. By 2:50, Shero still hadn't called back.

"So, I called Ray back," said Waddell. "He said, 'Hang on, I'm on the other line with Mario.' He kept me on hold for five more minutes. Now it's 2:55 and I'm sweating bullets because I don't even know at this point if I have time to make the call to Montreal. I'm on hold, felt like forever, so I picked up a different phone line and got Ray's assistant and I said, 'Tell him to pick up the damn phone or I'm hanging up on him.'"

Shero came on, and was still unsure.

"I said to Ray, 'I know you're giving up good assets, but you're getting a hell of a player and a hell of a guy. He's going to help you get to where you want to get to.' He said, 'Alright, I'll do it.' I'm telling you, it was 2:57 p.m. at that time.

"If that deal falls through, I don't even know if I had time to dial [Habs GM] Bob Gainey and get that deal done. That's how far it went to the wire. I got to tell you, it was very, very nerve-wracking."

The final trade on Feb. 26, 2008: Atlanta traded wingers Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis to Pittsburgh in exchange for winger Colby Armstrong, center Erik Christensen, prospect Angelo Esposito and Pittsburgh's first-round pick in the 2008 NHL draft.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

wow. pretty cool
PIttsburgh got HOSED on that one.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hahaha. Did they ever.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

When Shero looks back at this trade he probably wishes he would have went with his first instinct which was stay away. With Hossa they managed to get to the finals but there was always a risk that Shero could lose him for nothing.

A pretty interesting read none the less.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Thanks for that post Heater!

What a fantastic read. I still stand by my original diagnosis, if you will: Pittsburgh bent over BIG TIME... Kudos to Waddell for managing to push Shero to the brink.

If Gainey is reading that, I'm sure I can hear an ESTI TABARNAQUE in there somewhere! LOL

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

yeah, they got hosed. Hossa was only a huge reason they made it
to the finals and had a chance at the cup. Thats certainly not
what a deadline player is all about. Maybe Shero should have
called Carolina to try and land Stillman and Commodore. How dare
Hossa have such a huge impact for Pittsburgh. I'm sorry but
Christiansen and Armstrong would not help this team one bit this
year. The first is not all that important since they wont be able
to afford all the young talent in 3-4 years anyways and Esposito i
still believe is going to be an average NHLer.

Shero gave the team a shot in the arm and they had a great run. Tough to ask for more than that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^ We were never under an illusion of making a Cup run. We made that run the year before and it cost us...Alexei Kaigorodov (Mike Comrie).

I applaud Shero for having the stones to pull out that deal, but wonder if it wasn't one player too much.

Meh...whatever. Still a neat article.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nasty Nas wrote:yeah, they got hosed. Hossa was only a huge reason they made it
to the finals and had a chance at the cup. Thats certainly not
what a deadline player is all about. Maybe Shero should have
called Carolina to try and land Stillman and Commodore. How dare
Hossa have such a huge impact for Pittsburgh. I'm sorry but
Christiansen and Armstrong would not help this team one bit this
year. The first is not all that important since they wont be able
to afford all the young talent in 3-4 years anyways and Esposito i
still believe is going to be an average NHLer.

Shero gave the team a shot in the arm and they had a great run. Tough to ask for more than that.

whoa, must have touched a nerve there...

Well, look at where the Pens are now? You can't argue that losing Roberts, Malone, Ruutu, and Hossa doesn't have as equal an impact. It's just the way it is. Shero paid big on a big risk, and it ALMOST paid off, but fell short.

No need to get defensive, and for the record, comparing the Stillman/Commodore trade to the Hossa trade is like comparing Lemieux to Tucker: indredibly lobsided, and there's no bias here, but since you brought it up, I'm pretty sure that Ott/Car deal was mostly even.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The entire article is really good...Burnside and LeBrun really show you what an amateur Garrioch is.

The Ken Holland and David Poile segments are particularly interesting IMHO as they speak quite frankly about the pros and cons of risk taking, and their reasons for doing so.

Holland on signing Lang, Schneider and Bertuzzi:
"I think it worked out beautifully," Holland said. "We needed some playoff success to keep people believing in the program."

Poile on trading for Forsberg:
"When you trade for a player like Peter Forsberg, there's a rush that goes through your franchise," Poile said. "It was probably as an exciting time as we've had in the franchise. It was certainly worth the risk."

These guys know it's not just about statistics, or the short term result. Both Holland and Poile have a vision of how they see their respective franchises. In Holland's case, it's about the continuation of a long term program. In Poile's case, it's about creating a product that excites a fan base they are working to build--even if he has a restrictive budget. Each one has a different set of expectations and benchmarks for success.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:^ We were never under an illusion of making a Cup run. We made that run the year before and it cost us...Alexei Kaigorodov (Mike Comrie).

I applaud Shero for having the stones to pull out that deal, but wonder if it wasn't one player too much.

Meh...whatever. Still a neat article.

Exactly. As I said, he paid HUGE to make a huge risk, and that takes balls, but nevertheless, he probably should have kept Esposito off the table IMHO.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Does anyone know what Gainey was offering to Waddell.

Last edited by Cronie on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

For sure the OTT/CAR trade was fine. I was just using it as an
example of a trade that did nothing whereas the trade for Hossa was
100% the reason Pitts made it to the finals. Without Hossa there
last year they don't come close. Pitts was just unfortunate Hossa
decided to jump ship for a worse contract. If he stayed this year
Pitts would likely be making another good run.

Ruutu sucks to lose but Pitts has Talbot and Cooke who can fill the
void. Roberts is useless to have. Malone is a third line
type player like Fisher who is getting paid far more than
deserved. At 2-2.5 he would be worth keeping. Shere made
the right move not making any serious offer for him.

.....but definately a good article and fun read. thanks for posting Heater.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Does anyone know what Gainey was offering to Shero?

Cronie, the discussion about Hossa was Waddell-Gainey...Shero beat Bob to the punch.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
Cronie wrote:Does anyone know what Gainey was offering to Shero?

Cronie, the discussion about Hossa was Waddell-Gainey...Shero beat Bob to the punch.

OOPS! That was a typo on my part. Too many windows open at once.

I meant does anyone know what Gainey was offering to Waddell for Hossa?

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nasty Nas wrote:For sure the OTT/CAR trade was fine. I was just using it as an
example of a trade that did nothing whereas the trade for Hossa was
100% the reason Pitts made it to the finals. Without Hossa there
last year they don't come close. Pitts was just unfortunate Hossa
decided to jump ship for a worse contract. If he stayed this year
Pitts would likely be making another good run.

Ruutu sucks to lose but Pitts has Talbot and Cooke who can fill the
void. Roberts is useless to have. Malone is a third line
type player like Fisher who is getting paid far more than
deserved. At 2-2.5 he would be worth keeping. Shere made
the right move not making any serious offer for him.

.....but definately a good article and fun read. thanks for posting Heater.

Then we both agree. All I was saying is, and I respect your opinion of the other pieces in the Hossa trade, but I still feel like Shero paid slightly too much; but as the saying goes, such price glory.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum