GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Melnyk: Win 27 of the next 37 or else...

+8
LeCaptain
davetherave
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
shabbs
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

dennycrane wrote:I hope Nashville or Phoenix win the Cup and Bettman has to present the Stanley Cup to them on home ice.

I think last June's draft and how good some of those picks look already has saved Murray's job. Murray has failed to bring in a capable offensive defenceman. I don't blame Murray for dealing Meszaros and Corvo, along with not resigning Redden. I think he looked too hard for a bargain, and in retrospect, would probably have matched Campbell's offer.

I don't want that contract. It's a pretty big anchor. Just wait until Keith, Barker, Toews, Kane, etc etc are making premium money. Then we'll see just how ugly.

I'd classify Boyle's deal as much of the same.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Just finished watching the Hawks-Ducks (great game) and the last period of the Preds-Nucks...so thought I'd drop in for a nightcap... :D

To Hem's point about Campbell and Boyle's contracts, IMHO he is missing the central logic behind the decision by Chicago and San Jose to pay these elevated salaries.

Nik Lidstrom is Detroit's highest paid player at 7.45MM/year, in fact, if what I read is correct, his contract stipulates that he be the Wings' highest paid player.

The effect of the demand for quality, (especially playmaking) D-men has driven the salaries upward, so that 6 or 7MM for a player of this calibre is now the norm. Chara 7.5MM, Campbell 7.1MM, Niedermayer 6.75MM, Boyle 6.6, Rafalski 6MM, and so on...the list has some staggering numbers, as NHLnumbers.com demonstrates:.
http://nhlnumbers.com/sort.php?pos=D&type=capnumber

Whether or not we agree with these numbers is irrelevant; the market is what it is.

So I will respectfully disagree with the esteemed Hemlock. These contracts are not 'anchors' as long as, like waterfront real estate and gold bullion, the demand is strong and the supply is low.

In Chicago's case, while one could argue that Campbell is not currently their best defenseman, there is no doubt his presence has made the entire Blackhawks d-corps better. From an economic perspective, management has factored in the risk. When Khabibulin and Havlat depart, 12.75MM is off the books, liberating dollars for Mssrs Toews, Kane, Keith et al when the time comes. The Blackhawks should be strong for several years, and are not that far away from being a Cup contender. Some say they may even challenge this year.

In San Jose and Boyle's case, Doug Wilson, one of the shrewdest GMs in the league (and a former Blackhawk BTW), understood he needed an infusion of experienced, Cup-winning defensemen to take his team to Cup contender status. Boyle was the crown jewel in that plan. So far, Wilson is being proven right.

A superficial analysis of what players 'are or aren't worth' usually relies only on individual statistical aspects. But from an investment and management viewpoint, acquiring key players and paying market value, or even above market value, is, when done by the top GMs, a roll of the dice that pays handsome dividends.

Conversely, there is no doubt that this kind of high-risk dealing can only be practised by experts.

Would acquiring a Dan Boyle or Bryan Campbell have made the Senators a contender this year? Surely not. There is a very sound argument that says there are far too many gaps in the roster to spend megadollars on a player who would not have an adequate supporting cast.

Both Chicago and San Jose were ready to make a significant leap forward, and take on premium UFAs, because they already had most of the pieces in place.

If Ottawa makes smart moves between now and the March deadline, good trades in June, and has a draft commensurate with its choices, as well as freeing up the necessary cap space, paying a premium for the right UFA defenseman or goalie makes sense.

davetherave wrote:Just finished watching the Hawks-Ducks (great game) and the last period of the Preds-Nucks...so thought I'd drop in for a nightcap... :D

To Hem's point about Campbell and Boyle's contracts, IMHO he is missing the central logic behind the decision by Chicago and San Jose to pay these elevated salaries.

Nik Lidstrom is Detroit's highest paid player at 7.45MM/year, in fact, if what I read is correct, his contract stipulates that he be the Wings' highest paid player.

The effect of the demand for quality, (especially playmaking) D-men has driven the salaries upward, so that 6 or 7MM for a player of this calibre is now the norm. Chara 7.5MM, Campbell 7.1MM, Niedermayer 6.75MM, Boyle 6.6, Rafalski 6MM, and so on...the list has some staggering numbers, as NHLnumbers.com demonstrates:.
http://nhlnumbers.com/sort.php?pos=D&type=capnumber

Whether or not we agree with these numbers is irrelevant; the market is what it is.

So I will respectfully disagree with the esteemed Hemlock. These contracts are not 'anchors' as long as, like waterfront real estate and gold bullion, the demand is strong and the supply is low.

In Chicago's case, while one could argue that Campbell is not currently their best defenseman, there is no doubt his presence has made the entire Blackhawks d-corps better. From an economic perspective, management has factored in the risk. When Khabibulin and Havlat depart, 12.75MM is off the books, liberating dollars for Mssrs Toews, Kane, Keith et al when the time comes. The Blackhawks should be strong for several years, and are not that far away from being a Cup contender. Some say they may even challenge this year.

In San Jose and Boyle's case, Doug Wilson, one of the shrewdest GMs in the league (and a former Blackhawk BTW), understood he needed an infusion of experienced, Cup-winning defensemen to take his team to Cup contender status. Boyle was the crown jewel in that plan. So far, Wilson is being proven right.

A superficial analysis of what players 'are or aren't worth' usually relies only on individual statistical aspects. But from an investment and management viewpoint, acquiring key players and paying market value, or even above market value, is, when done by the top GMs, a roll of the dice that pays handsome dividends.

Conversely, there is no doubt that this kind of high-risk dealing can only be practised by experts.

Would acquiring a Dan Boyle or Bryan Campbell have made the Senators a contender this year? Surely not. There is a very sound argument that says there are far too many gaps in the roster to spend megadollars on a player who would not have an adequate supporting cast.

Both Chicago and San Jose were ready to make a significant leap forward, and take on premium UFAs, because they already had most of the pieces in place.

If Ottawa makes smart moves between now and the March deadline, good trades in June, and has a draft commensurate with its choices, as well as freeing up the necessary cap space, paying a premium for the right UFA defenseman or goalie makes sense.

I agree with this. My issue with both of those contracts is more towards the length, which takes both guys close to the adult diaper years. The Sens could never afford another $6+ salary imo, with what we've currently got.

Yes, Chicago and SJ were ready to make those moves, and the market was such that the salaries are high. However, I think down the line both teams will be not looking at either of these contracts so favourably as they do today. Of course you could say that about 25 other contracts in the league today. Even a guy like Zetterberg getting 12 years seems like a tremendous gamble to me. Sure it's a deal today, and probably for the next several years, but noone can predict the future. If he suffers some kind of injury that hampers him as a player, they are stuck with that contract and cap hit.

I didn't know Lidstrom had a highest paid player clause. I knew that Hossa had to take equal, but I thought it was an unspoken agreement with the Wings organization that noone would earn more. Interesting.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:
504Heater wrote:Then no one needs to worry, Murray will trade him on draft day for sure. I think he's been around the game long enough to make a valid decision for us on someone's work ethic, leadership etc.

I'm secretly hoping that Spezza is part of the solution, but if he's not, he's being paid way too much and Murray and Melnyk will know this and ensure he's moved for a pick(s).

From what Melnyk said today, I think he is controlling things a lot more then he leads on. He says he wont blow things up, thats not his choice if he lets the hockey minds do their job. Sounds like he doenst want Spezza going anywhere along with a few others.

Melnyk should learn when to shut up, and if he doenst allow Murray to do whats right for this team then things may drag on and he will have no one to blame but himself.

I know for sure Im waiting to renew my season tickets to see what happens.

I really really hope there are a lot more people out there that think the same way because perhaps they'll wait too long and I can swoop in and claim better seats :D

Hey if you know anyone in the Molson Zone in Row B, 300 level can you tell them to wait and see and give up there seats so I can have them? Wink

- Unknown Author

TheAvatar wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:From what Melnyk said today, I think he is controlling things a lot more then he leads on. He says he wont blow things up, thats not his choice if he lets the hockey minds do their job. Sounds like he doenst want Spezza going anywhere along with a few others.

Melnyk should learn when to shut up, and if he doenst allow Murray to do whats right for this team then things may drag on and he will have no one to blame but himself.

You know what? Melnyk paid a LOT OF DIDDLEDAMN money (out of pocket) to purchase this team so he should be allowed to say whatever the frank he wants, whenever the frank he wants to about the team. He owns the diddledamn thing for diddle's sakes.

yup, he did and he can, doesnt make it smart. Saying people can blow them selves up with bombs is also the smart thing to to when talking about a sports franchise because we all know thats an acceptable comment.

If Melnyk wants to think like that, thats fine, but he wont be getting anymore of my money. This isnt Toronto where someone else is going to swoop in and take my tickets, especially where I'm sitting because there are free seats around me every game.

He might own the team but unlike Florida, Pheonix and any other BS team in the league, the fans actually know whats going on on the ice and have a certain degree of hockey knowledge.

Melnyk is becoming a side show on his own very quickly.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
504Heater wrote:Then no one needs to worry, Murray will trade him on draft day for sure. I think he's been around the game long enough to make a valid decision for us on someone's work ethic, leadership etc.

I'm secretly hoping that Spezza is part of the solution, but if he's not, he's being paid way too much and Murray and Melnyk will know this and ensure he's moved for a pick(s).

From what Melnyk said today, I think he is controlling things a lot more then he leads on. He says he wont blow things up, thats not his choice if he lets the hockey minds do their job. Sounds like he doenst want Spezza going anywhere along with a few others.

I really really hope there are a lot more people out there that think the same way because perhaps they'll wait too long and I can swoop in and claim better seats :D

Hey if you know anyone in the Molson Zone in Row B, 300 level can you tell them to wait and see and give up there seats so I can have them? Wink

haha, alright, will do.

As for my tickets, they will be there waiting for me a day before the season starts next year, thats pretty much a garentee.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hey Hemlock, really like your Mike Ricci-Geno Malkin avatar BTW.

Genetic engineering for hockey players...not a bad idea LOL?

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

seriously, now they want Melnyk to apologize?

Sure, he may have lost his cool so to speak, but at the same time, how overly sensitive and PC has society become that a sense of humor is now DEAD?!?!
He was obviously talking tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek, and now the media is running with it... Pathetic...

I think the die-hard fans will renew. So will I. The problem is the tweeners and businesses who are hit by tough economic times. I personally know a local company that has 8 lower bowl tickets that they have to try to sell now as part of their cost cutting measures. They are doing the same in T.O, Montreal and Van City. Most likely they will not renew at any venue.

Bad econmoy and pi$$ poor product are a horrible combination. I think I can speak for most when I say that I wouldn't mind the record the team has so much as how they arrived there, seemingly indifferent.

Cronenbergfan wrote:seriously, now they want Melnyk to apologize?

Sure, he may have lost his cool so to speak, but at the same time, how overly sensitive and PC has society become that a sense of humor is now DEAD?!?!
He was obviously talking tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek, and now the media is running with it... Pathetic...

We have to be careful about who we are talking about as 'media'. Don Brenan and Glen Kulka are not good examples of journalism. The only thing keeping me from using Brenan's columns for their best possible application is that I don't want ink between my cheeks. As for Kulka, he is one of the most annoying 'personalities' on radio.

MurderOnIce wrote:I think the die-hard fans will renew. So will I. The problem is the tweeners and businesses who are hit by tough economic times. I personally know a local company that has 8 lower bowl tickets that they have to try to sell now as part of their cost cutting measures. They are doing the same in T.O, Montreal and Van City. Most likely they will not renew at any venue.

Bad econmoy and pi$$ poor product are a horrible combination. I think I can speak for most when I say that I wouldn't mind the record the team has so much as how they arrived there, seemingly indifferent.

Im a die hard, but I still refuse to support a team from a financal aspect who refuses to make changes or show a willingness to try and better the situation.

I refuse to pay for players contract who do not try, produce, or care from the aspect of the fans. I will still watch every game but it will be from home.

If they lost every game next year and the effort was there night in and night out, I will renew my tickets without a second though, problem is there have been more nights the effort wasnt there then has been this year.

This home stretch will determine a lot.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

If the numbers reported by RDS are correct, Senators season ticket sales dropped by 15% from last season to this one.

You have to think Mr Melnyk is concerned about what might happen next year.

When 78,000 people lost their jobs on Monday, you have to be worried if you provide a product that is clearly in the category of discretionary spending....

When that product is fundamentally an entertainment product and the entertainment value isn't there, you have to be panicked...

davetherave wrote:Hey Hemlock, really like your Mike Ricci-Geno Malkin avatar BTW.

Haha thanks! There are a bunch more here:

Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nhl_mutants/

EDIT: maybe it's me but that pic kinda sorta makes me think of the Mona Lisa.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

TheAvatar wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:From what Melnyk said today, I think he is controlling things a lot more then he leads on. He says he wont blow things up, thats not his choice if he lets the hockey minds do their job. Sounds like he doenst want Spezza going anywhere along with a few others.

You know what? Melnyk paid a LOT OF DIDDLEDAMN money (out of pocket) to purchase this team so he should be allowed to say whatever the frank he wants, whenever the frank he wants to about the team. He owns the diddledamn thing for diddle's sakes.

He does own the team no one will dispute that but he does have to worry about season ticket holders renewing their packages in the years going forward.

Owners own, managers manage and players play.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:seriously, now they want Melnyk to apologize?

We have to be careful about who we are talking about as 'media'. Don Brenan and Glen Kulka are not good examples of journalism. The only thing keeping me from using Brenan's columns for their best possible application is that I don't want ink between my cheeks. As for Kulka, he is one of the most annoying 'personalities' on radio.

Very good point MOI. And I should not have made that generalization that the *cough* Kulkster and Brennan speak for all of the Ottawa Sens fans.

I read his quote and watched the presser and since I have a very warped sense of humor, I found it hilarious! As Heater said, it was Melnyk's way of telling those pesky reporters who seem solely interested in exposing cracks in Melnyk's armour or faith in this squad rather than report what's ACTUALLY happening to frank off!!
Brilliant!! *clapping for Melnyk* Let me say this, I too am ecstatic he owns our beloved team... At least the Owner has a backbone... I'm still waiting for some of the players on this squad to get a clue!!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
davetherave wrote:Hey Hemlock, really like your Mike Ricci-Geno Malkin avatar BTW.

Haha thanks! There are a bunch more here:

Code:
[b]http://www.flickr.com/photos/nhl_mutants/[/b]

EDIT: maybe it's me but that pic kinda sorta makes me think of the Mona Lisa.

This collection of pix is just WAY TOO FUNNY. cheers cheers

TeamRenzo wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

He does own the team no one will dispute that but he does have to worry about season ticket holders renewing their packages in the years going forward.

Owners own, managers manage and players sometimes play.

Updated to reflect the Senators current situation...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum