GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL: Too Much Monkey Business?

+3
The Silfer Server
wprager
davetherave
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:49 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Tukker wrote:Columbus is a good hockey market. They've supported their team though the good and the bad.

But are they making money, scraping by or hemorrhaging?

ETA: Sorry didn't see the other posts until now. They aren't doing well now. Perhaps the newness has worn off. Perhaps the recession has set in. My guess is it's the latter, and with nojobs people will spend on college football and hoops before hockey.

17NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:55 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Tukker wrote:Columbus is a good hockey market. They've supported their team though the good and the bad.

But are they making money, scraping by or hemorrhaging?

Forbes Magazine's 2008 financial profile of the Columbus Blue Jackets franchise can be found here:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/nhl08_Columbus-Blue-Jackets_316038.html

Forbes' 2008 picture of NHL teams "The Business of Hockey" can be found here:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/29/nhl-team-values-biz-sports-nhl08_cz_mo_kb_1029nhl_land.html?partner=whiteglove_google

Making the playoffs, according to Forbes, is financially critical for the Jackets.

18NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:05 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

As an example of a franchise that has been turned around under William Wirtz' son Rocky, Forbes' profile on the Blackhawks is worth reading.

An excerpt:

Since Rocky took over, the team's season ticket base has grown from 3,400 to 13,500. FORBES estimates that the team swung from a $3.6 million operating loss in 2006 to an operating profit (Ebitda) of $1.4 million in 2007. A team with a storied brand in hockey's third-biggest city, the Blackhawks last year were worth $179 million. Now we peg the team value at $205 million. "I loved my dad, and he was a wonderful businessman," says Wirtz, who in the past had little to do with the hockey team and ran the liquor operation (annual revenue, $1.5 billion). "But if you are not in front of big changes, you are going to be left in the dust."

The full article here:
Chicago's Comeback
Nathan Vardi for FORBES, 11.17.08, 12:00 AM EST
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1117/123.html

19NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:23 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Forbes Ottawa Senators' profile can be read here (though Filip Kuba's personal info is wrong).
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/nhl08_Ottawa-Senators_318444.html

Given the potential amount of playoff revenue (Forbes estimates that a Stanley Cup would net George Gillett $10MM in profit), Forbes' speculation (written in October) regarding Bryan Murray is worth noting:
"If the Senators do not go past the first round this season look for Murray to be replaced."

20NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:34 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

davetherave wrote:The Forbes Ottawa Senators' profile can be read here (though Filip Kuba's personal info is wrong).
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/nhl08_Ottawa-Senators_318444.html

Given the potential amount of playoff revenue (Forbes estimates that a Stanley Cup would net George Gillett $10MM in profit), Forbes' speculation (written in October) regarding Bryan Murray is worth noting:
"If the Senators do not go past the first round this season look for Murray to be replaced."

Interesting read, but what makes Forbes such a authoritative source on Murray's job security?

21NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

No one says Forbes is an 'authoritative source' on Bryan Murray...note that their comment is characterized as speculation.

Just passing along the info.

22NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Given that though, wouldn't it be more prudent to give up a bit now, in favour of several years of a better showing later? This is what Murray is building towards, and he must have put that plan in front of Melnyk at some point.

23NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:17 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

We shall see shortly what Mr Murray's plan is...and if Mr Melnyk approves.

Frankly, I think the Forbes writer was being provincial. Wink

IMHO Murray and Melnyk made the plan before Muckler was axed. They just haven't shared it with anybody until now.

That plan would be: reduce payroll, secure the most visible assets, rebuild the prospect pipeline, change the makeup of the team from offence first to defence first, and get younger/cheaper.

At least that's what the evidence seems to indicate...

24NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 am

davetherave wrote:We shall see shortly what Mr Murray's plan is...and if Mr Melnyk approves.

Frankly, I think the Forbes writer was being provincial. Wink

IMHO Murray and Melnyk made the plan before Muckler was axed. They just haven't shared it with anybody until now.

That plan would be: reduce payroll, secure the most visible assets, rebuild the prospect pipeline, change the makeup of the team from offence first to defence first, and get younger/cheaper.

At least that's what the evidence seems to indicate...

That's sort of what I've been thinking, although not dating back to Muckler's departure. It's hard to imagine them changing the makeup of the team coming off a trip to the Finals.

However, I do think it's possible that Melnyk and Murray have already thrown in the towel on this season, and the team's inactivity on the trade front is purely a smoke screen. At first glance, it may look like Murray is doing all he can to improve this team now, by not making rash moves, but in reality could be waiting it out until the deadline to make some moves to cut payroll, get young and give this team a shakeup. By the deadline it's much easier for the casual fan to accept that the team is out of contention. I talk to my parents about the team and I've been saying for months that a rebuild of sorts is in order. They refuse to see that this team is broken and fully expect that Murray will make a move somehow to make everything all better.

25NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:41 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

davetherave wrote:No one says Forbes is an 'authoritative source' on Bryan Murray...note that their comment is characterized as speculation.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I didn't mean that anyone on this site was implying they were such an authoritative source, but just they way they state as matter of fact that Murray will be fired if they don't make the playoffs seems a little too strongly worded for a business magazine writing about the inner workings of an NHL franchise. I didn't mean it in any way as a criticism of you or anyone else on this board.

26NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL: Too Much Monkey Business? Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:50 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Mojo wrote:
davetherave wrote:No one says Forbes is an 'authoritative source' on Bryan Murray...note that their comment is characterized as speculation.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I didn't mean that anyone on this site was implying they were such an authoritative source, but just they way they state as matter of fact that Murray will be fired if they don't make the playoffs seems a little too strongly worded for a business magazine writing about the inner workings of an NHL franchise. I didn't mean it in any way as a criticism of you or anyone else on this board.

No worries...I agree with you that the Forbes writer was kinda snarky about it anyway... :pirat:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum