GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got NHL2K9 for the Wii

+8
TeamRenzo
smash88
TheAvatar
The_Dude
Cronie
Number Twenty Nine
Acrobat
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Beat my kid in a shootout the first time, but got creamed the next two games. I keep accidentally hitting whatever button (1 or 2) that switches into goalie mode. I also haven't figured out how to skate backwards (yeah, I know which button it is, it's not that) which screws up your D.

All in all, my kid is in 7th heaven but I've got to say I am a bit disappointed. Perhaps because I've been walking past a Sony store on the way home from work, seeing the PS3 version. Let's face it, the Wii graphics are a generation or two behind the PS3. Perhaps getting Wii component cables will help a bit (at least make it slightly better).

Is there a "practice mode" in this game to hone your basic skills?

2Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

The component cables don't help a whole lot - the graphics processor itself is much less powerful. They are apparently planning an HD version of the Wii for 2011 (or maybe X-mas 2010?)

If you get yourself a PS3, look for the 80g models, and try to get one that has PS2 hardware emulation - other models use software only but some 80g still have both and apparently software-only versions have more compatibility issues (I also have four kids, so I go for the bargain bin games when I can; just got rid of the Ps2 so I can get a PS3 or X-box)

3Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:15 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:The component cables don't help a whole lot - the graphics processor itself is much less powerful. They are apparently planning an HD version of the Wii for 2011 (or maybe X-mas 2010?)

If you get yourself a PS3, look for the 80g models, and try to get one that has PS2 hardware emulation - other models use software only but some 80g still have both and apparently software-only versions have more compatibility issues (I also have four kids, so I go for the bargain bin games when I can; just got rid of the Ps2 so I can get a PS3 or X-box)

I think that ship (b/w compatibility in h/w) has sailed. And the PS3, in general, is still awfully expensive. If BDs had come down in price I might have jumped at a sale, but I just saw an Insignia BR player for $99 (I think it was the FutureShop Boxing Day flyer), so the days of getting a PS3 as the best bang for the BD-playing buck are over.

I wonder if there would ever be an upgrade path from the Wii to Wii-HD (what would they call it, Wii-Advanced? Wii-Hi? Wii++?) Not necessarily thinking of a h/w add-on, but maybe some trade-in allowance on the console or games.

BTW, almost completely off-topic, but my kid used the Wii points "Santa" brought to d/l a couple of games. I've got to say that World of Goo is a blast.

4Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I got my kids (yeah right) Xbox 360 + NHL09 for xmas

I got this after coming to the determination that Xbox 360 pwns the market. Wii is for girls and PS3 is too expensive....

5Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:02 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I got my kids (yeah right) Xbox 360 + NHL09 for xmas

I got this after coming to the determination that Xbox 360 pwns the market. Wii is for girls and PS3 is too expensive....

Careful, I could take offense to that, as could some "girls". If I wanted photorealistic blood and gore I'd go for the 360. If you want to stoke the imagination there's really nothing like the Wii. True, for the NHL games the graphics are poor, and the added bonus of swinging your controllers for slapshots and fights doesn't really compensate enough (IMO). My boys are 12 and almost-11, and the 12-year-old prefers the puzzle-type games. Plus my wife would never allow any blood-and-guts games in the house, no-matter how old they get (my six-year-olds will still be too young for blood-and-gore by the time my oldest is in university).

6Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:42 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:

Careful, I could take offense to that, as could some "girls". If I wanted photorealistic blood and gore I'd go for the 360. If you want to stoke the imagination there's really nothing like the Wii. True, for the NHL games the graphics are poor, and the added bonus of swinging your controllers for slapshots and fights doesn't really compensate enough (IMO). My boys are 12 and almost-11, and the 12-year-old prefers the puzzle-type games. Plus my wife would never allow any blood-and-guts games in the house, no-matter how old they get (my six-year-olds will still be too young for blood-and-gore by the time my oldest is in university).

I have four as well, all 10 and under, and all boys (and truly boys at that), and I'd whole-heartedly agree. Puzzle games are great (have yours tried Zack and Wiki? - good for the younger set). Older kids seem to like NHL (even with graphics as they are) and Super Smash Bros., as well as Guitar Hero. No need for blood and gore to have a rockin' good time, and burn off lots of energy. There's a reason that the Wii is the top-selling machine (still).

Oh, and don't forget Wii Fit - amazingly, they love to do this too! (Mostly, they love to show off how good their balance and such is by blowing away their dad at ski jumping, etc)

7Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:38 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wii Fit is fantastic!

My wife is a classically trained flutist, so she's SUPER-STOKED for Wii Music and my little guy is 19 months and my daughter is due to arrive any day now so they are both a ways off from playing Mom and Dad's games for a while anyway.

As for the blood and gore, well being a horror guru or aficionado of sorts, I LOVE my horror films and scary games but I have to keep them boxed up and hidden and only watch them once my wife (who adores Disney and musicals) is asleep... LOL and the Wii has never really tapped into the horror or gore game market, and I'm glad they haven't for they don't need to. Sure they hay have the RE series and such, but for gore, I usually play the Xbox 360 for those ones.

The Wii is, in my view, the best interactive and 'fun' console out there to date. For children, there's certainly NO shortage of fun and stimulating (both physically and mentally) games out there to choose from. And really, for approximately $250 and change, it's still a great bargain.

8Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:29 am

The_Dude

The_Dude
Prospect
Prospect

Anybody looking for an amazing puzzle game on the 360 should Buy Braid on in the Xbox Market place... Its one of the few arcade games worth paying for. Try out the Demo and see for yourself. It will sell itself.

As for NHL 09, I tried the Wii controls not to long ago and I they frustrated me more then anything. It seems that 1/2 the time you player is not doing what you want him to do.

9Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:46 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

The_Dude wrote:It seems that 1/2 the time you player is not doing what you want him to do.

Oh; must feel familiar; that's the feeling I get when I watch the sens!

10Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:48 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:Wii Fit is fantastic!

My wife is a classically trained flutist, so she's SUPER-STOKED for Wii Music and my little guy is 19 months and my daughter is due to arrive any day now so they are both a ways off from playing Mom and Dad's games for a while anyway.

As for the blood and gore, well being a horror guru or aficionado of sorts, I LOVE my horror films and scary games but I have to keep them boxed up and hidden and only watch them once my wife (who adores Disney and musicals) is asleep... LOL and the Wii has never really tapped into the horror or gore game market, and I'm glad they haven't for they don't need to. Sure they hay have the RE series and such, but for gore, I usually play the Xbox 360 for those ones.

The Wii is, in my view, the best interactive and 'fun' console out there to date. For children, there's certainly NO shortage of fun and stimulating (both physically and mentally) games out there to choose from. And really, for approximately $250 and change, it's still a great bargain.

I agree! Wii Fit is awesome... we have loads of fun on that! I got Shaun White snowboarding too, and it's really cool with the balance board!

Have to say though, i was let down by Wii Music... It's alright for a couple of hours but I just found there was no substance, it got boring very quick... I've heard a lot of mixed reviews though, so it may just be one of those games that just aren't for everyone... I could see though how this game could be really fun for younger kids though.. Definitely worth a buy for them.

11Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 pm

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

How do you figure that the Wii is for girls? With comments like that maybe you should have thought twice before procreating.

Nintendo never intended on making the first Wii's graphics to match X-box and Sony. They decided to let MS and Sony fight over power and graphics while Nintendo created something that was ground breaking in the world of console gaming.

I think the Wii is brilliant!

I got NHL 2K9 for christmas and I love it!

12Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I haven't tried Zak & Wiki, thanks for the tip. Try World of Goo, it's 1500 Wii points on the shopping channel.

I've heard mixed feedback on Wii Music. Some musician friends of mine (brass band) were disappointed with it, and I've seen some poor ratings online (4 out of 10). I also saw some fairly high ones (8) but those are few and far between.

Edit: that smiley is supposed to be just an 8 in brackets.

Last edited by wprager on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

13Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 pm

NHL 09 for the PS3 is amazing. Especially the "Be a Pro Mode". I lead the NHL in Goals, Points, P.I.M., Fighting Majors, Hits, GiveAways, TakeAways, and Ice Time.
:lol!:

14Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:36 am

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

I love the Wii. Leave it to Nintendo to come up with another great idea. The innovative game play makes up for the graphics. Zack and Wiki is a great game as is Trauma Centre, Smash Bros, and Super Mario Galaxy. I have yet to buy NHL 2K9 but I am sure I will soon.

15Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Empty Re: Got NHL2K9 for the Wii Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:51 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

At least the virtual Sens on the 360 can win a game or two :-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next