GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hedman overated?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hedman overated? Empty Hedman overated? Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Probably not, considering he's projected as #2 overall pick now, which is where he belongs, behind the real #1 pick, John Tavares.

Not only is Tavares ahead in polls conducted by IIHF scouts, but he's outplaying the swede.

I've now seen both of the two play in person, and Tavares is so much better in my opinion. Having seen Hedman twice now, the latest tonight, he certainly does not live up to the hype and certainly does not play like a guy his size should. Sure he's probably faster than most guys that size, probably handles the puck better, but he's soft. He got knocked off the puck so many times vs. Canada and saw the bench for the most part of the period because of it. Tonight was no different. He was getting knocked around by the Czechs and only showed up on the score sheet because of stupid penalties. He took a roughing penalty in his own end when the play was in the opposite, actually one of his teammates was on a breakaway.

Sweden won, 5-1 over the Czechs. After about 3-0 it got quite chippy, and the Czechs started to get a little dirty. Hedman took the most of it.

Erik Karlsson was the best Swedish defenceman out there, by far. His offensive and defensive instincts are fantastic. He has so much control of the puck out there and makes, for the most part, really smart decisions.

Didn't see much of Andre Petersson, don't think he even got in the game until the last 4 mins for a shift. Only thing I saw of him was take a huge hipcheck.

Sweden's #24 David Ullstrom was awesome, but got injured late in the game. Anton Persson was also really good, and MSP played pretty good.

2Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:55 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, he had an injury earlier in the season and he's playing tentatively. We'll see if he keeps it up in the non-"friendly"s.

The guy's been 18 for a week. It's certainly been a difficult early transition to the NA rinks.

As for Karlsson, in terms of this past draft, the only defenceman drafted with remotely the same hockey IQ is Drew Doughty. It's incredible. :D

3Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:01 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I have a hard time believing it is merely adjusting and coming off an injury though. True, I've never seen him play outside NA, but who is to say all that extra ice and the Swedish hockey style don't have a huge effect on his draft rating? Anyone can look good on youtube.

4Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:03 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:I have a hard time believing it is merely adjusting and coming off an injury though. True, I've never seen him play outside NA, but who is to say all that extra ice and the Swedish hockey style don't have a huge effect on his draft rating? Anyone can look good on youtube.

Schremp, Donati and Andre Petersson are a testament to that. Razz

We'll see. I'm still a firm believer in him. Tavares will go #1 if the Isles have the first pick, though.

5Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hedman may very well be good, but he may need a few years in the AHL.

Tavares > Hedman Razz

6Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:14 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

We'll agree to disagree. Razz

EDIT: But there's no question that right now, Erik Karlsson is the best Swedish defenceman and perhaps the best player on the roster.

Good news for us.

7Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:04 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:We'll agree to disagree. Razz

EDIT: But there's no question that right now, Erik Karlsson is the best Swedish defenceman and perhaps the best player on the roster.

Good news for us.

Is it too early to compare him to a young Scotty Niedermayer?

8Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:47 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Good news for us.

Scott's bigger than Karlsson is, unfortunately.

9Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:00 pm

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:

Good news for us.

who would you compare him to then? Smile

10Hedman overated? Empty Re: Hedman overated? Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:

Good news for us.

Karlsson is only an inch shorter. He's 18-1/2 so lots of time to fill out. I'd bet Scotty wasn't 200 lbs at 18 either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum