GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit?

3 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:34 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

You wouldn't think it with the terrible management and awful team, but could the Bolts actually be considered as one of the best positioned teams in the league?

When we think of Detroit in the past few years, we think of Yzerman and Lidstrom.

A quick look at the standings shows Tampa Bay on pace to nab Victor Hedman, whom many (including Forsberg) consider the best Swedish defenceman since #5.

I've said it before, but the Sens choosing Kuba and Picard (both of whom better than Meszaros) and the first rather than Tampa's picks may go down as a move on par with Redden over Chara or Daigle over Pronger.

Checking back at last year's draft, we see the Lightning taking a player who, albeit currently struggling, is widely compared with Stevie Wonder or Burnaby Joe.

With those two potential building blocks, some nice young defencemen such as Ranger and Smaby in the system, several young goalies such as Smith and Helenius, as well as very valuable assets such as Lecavalier and St. Louis, could we be seeing the emergence of a new dynasty?

Or will management screw up this glorious opportunity?

2Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:42 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

The owners just need to fire themselves, and then the team will be well on its way to respectability. Smile

3Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:You wouldn't think it with the terrible management and awful team, but could the Bolts actually be considered as one of the best positioned teams in the league?

When we think of Detroit in the past few years, we think of Yzerman and Lidstrom.

A quick look at the standings shows Tampa Bay on pace to nab Victor Hedman, whom many (including Forsberg) consider the best Swedish defenceman since #5.

I've said it before, but the Sens choosing Kuba and Picard (both of whom better than Meszaros) and the first rather than Tampa's picks may go down as a move on par with Redden over Chara or Daigle over Pronger.

Checking back at last year's draft, we see the Lightning taking a player who, albeit currently struggling, is widely compared with Stevie Wonder or Burnaby Joe.

With those two potential building blocks, some nice young defencemen such as Ranger and Smaby in the system, several young goalies such as Smith and Helenius, as well as very valuable assets such as Lecavalier and St. Louis, could we be seeing the emergence of a new dynasty?

Or will management screw up this glorious opportunity?

They will screw up. Tampa's 1st does look really good right now. Even if we traded Meszaros for their 1st, it would end up being Meszaros for Hedman. WOW! Too bad so sad.

4Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:49 pm

Definitely agree. Looking back, Tampa was aggresively trying to reaquire their 3rd pick from Pittsburgh so they could tender an offer sheet. Murray should have insisted that the 1st be theirs, and not SJ's. Unless SJ goes out in Rd. 1 we are getting basically a 2nd. Hell I would have been fine with Kuba and TB's first for Mez (whos sucking badly in Tampa).

Only time will tell with the dynasty though. They haven't exactly been inspiring with all the roster moves they've made thus far.

5Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Detroit had much more than just Yze and Lids. They had Fedorov, Shanahan, Larionov, Kozlov, Osgood, etc.

6Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Unless Iliech is coming along, Tampa will screw it up. They will prob end up trading Stamkos with all the stupid contracts they have given out.

7Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:11 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:Detroit had much more than just Yze and Lids. They had Fedorov, Shanahan, Larionov, Kozlov, Osgood, etc.

That's true, but there's no reason Tampa couldn't get a good supporting cast for those two. Guys like Lecavalier and St. Louis could return a fair amount.

8Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:14 pm

asq2 wrote:
Tukker wrote:Detroit had much more than just Yze and Lids. They had Fedorov, Shanahan, Larionov, Kozlov, Osgood, etc.

That's true, but there's no reason Tampa couldn't get a good supporting cast for those two. Guys like Lecavalier and St. Louis could return a fair amount.
if they commit to rebuilding there's no reason to think they won't be as good as detroit once was. Hall should help too.

9Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:20 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:
asq2 wrote:

if they commit to rebuilding there's no reason to think they won't be as good as detroit once was. Hall should help too.

I sure as heck hope not. 3 1st overallers* in a row? When was the last time that happened?

*assuming, of course, that Kabanov or Pulkkinen do not surpass him, which is a possibility.

10Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:22 pm

asq2 wrote:
Tukker wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I sure as heck hope not. 3 1st overallers* in a row? When was the last time that happened?

*assuming, of course, that Kabanov or Pulkkinen do not surpass him, which is a possibility.
if they finish last 3 times in a row, get ready to call them the Winnipeg Lighting.

11Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:38 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:if they finish last 3 times in a row, get ready to call them the Winnipeg Lighting.

:lol!: True, but with Hedman, Stamkos AND Hall they'd have a huge out-of-province following.

I really hope we out-tank Tampa.

12Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:41 pm

asq2 wrote:
Tukker wrote:if they finish last 3 times in a row, get ready to call them the Winnipeg Lighting.

:lol!: True, but with Hedman, Stamkos AND Hall they'd have a huge out-of-province following.

Me too. I'm not above cheating either. I'd be willing to take one for the team and Gillooly some of the Sens.

13Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:03 pm

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Me too. I'm not above cheating either. I'd be willing to take one for the team and Gillion some of the Sens.
remember what happened last time we purposely lost games to acquire a potentially generational player first overall?

14Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:07 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Fair point, but we're planning on taking the defenceman this time.

If you look at the players, this is about as close as you can get to a do-over.

15Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Empty Re: Tampa Bay a Potential New Detroit? Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:10 pm

asq2 wrote:Fair point, but we're planning on taking the defenceman this time.

If you look at the players, this is about as close as you can get to a do-over.
:lol!: I just believe that Karma's a Wing Dang Doodle

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum