GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some trade value reality

+10
PKC
wprager
Acrobat
shabbs
Sens4thecup
COLLAR UP
Cronie
asq2
Mojo
Aetherial
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:42 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

I was only kidding when I said Fisher and Vermette for Horton and Bouwmeester. Quite frankly, if I was a Panthers fan, and someone offered me that trade, my reaction would be so violent and include so much projectile vomit that I would be better off not having heard the trade to begin with.

17Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:45 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Aetherial wrote:Not trolling here... but some reality is needed I think.

I am seeing trade suggestions like Vermette + 2nd for Horton? (edit: misquote on my oroginal post) ... financial reasons being part of that equation.

I even saw Vermette and Fisher for Horton and Bouwmeester (admittedly PKC seemed to know he was being "optimistic")

But seriously guys...

Vermette 26, Cap: 2.763, Career NHL .442 PPG +/- +17
Fisher 28, Cap: 4.2, Career NHL .508 PPG +/- +33

Ponikarovsky 28, Cap: 2.105, Career NHL .478 PPG +/- +48
Antropov 28, Cap: 2.5, Career NHL .559 PPG +/- +63

If I came on here and suggested Ponikarovsky and Antropov for Bouwmeester and Horton, I would get laughed off of this board. You know I would.

Yet, by the numbers, I wouldn't trade Ponikarovsky and Antropov for Fisher and Vermette.

The problem I think is that you dont realize that Vermette may be trade bait but not for a first line player, forward or D, and Fisher... well I think it is time people accepted that he is WAY overpaid for his production. If I am Jacques Martin both of these guys don't get me either Horton or Bouwmeester.

If Ottawa needs a shake-up, and they do, they aren't going to do it by dumping overpaid underperforming players for 1st line players from other teams... Leafs fans have been ridiculed for suggestions no worse than these ones for years!!

I'm a bit late to the party but I'll just say what probably has already been said (haven't had time to read yet).

Fisher and Vermette never got a chance to play with Sundin on a regular basis.

Fisher brings tons of heart that rubs off and makes others compete.

Vermette could be top-five in the league at faceoffs if he was given a regular stint at centre.

Both Fisher and Vermette kill penalties and do it very well.

Isn't vermette already 3rd in FO?

18Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 am

marakh wrote:
wprager wrote:

I am seeing trade suggestions like Vermette + 2nd for Horton? (edit: misquote on my oroginal post) ... financial reasons being part of that equation.

I even saw Vermette and Fisher for Horton and Bouwmeester (admittedly PKC seemed to know he was being "optimistic")

But seriously guys...

If I came on here and suggested Ponikarovsky and Antropov for Bouwmeester and Horton, I would get laughed off of this board. You know I would.

Yet, by the numbers, I wouldn't trade Ponikarovsky and Antropov for Fisher and Vermette.

The problem I think is that you dont realize that Vermette may be trade bait but not for a first line player, forward or D, and Fisher... well I think it is time people accepted that he is WAY overpaid for his production. If I am Jacques Martin both of these guys don't get me either Horton or Bouwmeester.

If Ottawa needs a shake-up, and they do, they aren't going to do it by dumping overpaid underperforming players for 1st line players from other teams... Leafs fans have been ridiculed for suggestions no worse than these ones for years!!

I'm a bit late to the party but I'll just say what probably has already been said (haven't had time to read yet).

Vermette could be top-five in the league at faceoffs if he was given a regular stint at centre.

Isn't vermette already 3rd in FO?

Fair enough though. Aetherial has some valid points... Although I would happily not trade Vermette and Fisher for Annie and her Pony. Vermette has always had potential meaning he hasn't done anything so unless JM really does have a man crush on him he ain't worth much. Fisher on the other hand I would disagree with. He is more of a Gary Roberts type who is always in demand. There are 29 other GMs that would put him in their line-up immediately.

19Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think Vermette was 5th in the league last year. That's why I said top-five with more work at it. He may be 3rd now but he's not top-five at the end of the season ... yet.

20Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Acrobat wrote:Wouldn't Spezza be a better draft-day trade?
He's a known commodity - send him plus a mid-range prospect out, and take a high-end first rounder back (plus maybe a servicable player or two) - then try to swap two of the firsts for a top-five pick.
I know I as all over the trade Spezza idea, but if we were to full-out rebuild, wouldn't it be best to keep our 26 year old 1st ine center? wouldn't it be best to get all we can for players like Heatley, Alfredsson, Fisher, Phillips (get them all to waive) Smith, Kuba, Kelly, Vermette, Auld, McAmmond, Neil, and Schubert? Then build around our youth? Would a big three of Spezza, Hedman, Karlsson not be a better long-term solution than the current big three?

Imo if we're full-out rebuilding, then Spezza is - ironically - the last player we should be trading.

21Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:26 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
Acrobat wrote:Wouldn't Spezza be a better draft-day trade?
He's a known commodity - send him plus a mid-range prospect out, and take a high-end first rounder back (plus maybe a servicable player or two) - then try to swap two of the firsts for a top-five pick.
I know I as all over the trade Spezza idea, but if we were to full-out rebuild, wouldn't it be best to keep our 26 year old 1st ine center? wouldn't it be best to get all we can for players like Heatley, Alfredsson, Fisher, Phillips (get them all to waive) Smith, Kuba, Kelly, Vermette, Auld, McAmmond, Neil, and Schubert? Then build around our youth? Would a big three of Spezza, Hedman, Karlsson not be a better long-term solution than the current big three?

Imo if we're full-out rebuilding, then Spezza is - ironically - the last player we should be trading.

Really? Wow. Not for me. If it comes down to Spezza or Heatley, I go Heatley every time. Stud wingers are a rarity in the NHL.

22Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:38 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:

Surely you jest.

23Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:58 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
cash wrote:

Surely you jest.

In a full re-build, the players with the best age/potential combination should be the ones you keep, and apart maybe from Karlsson there isn't a player in the organization with a better combination of that than Spezza.

I'd trade him in a full re-build, but I wouldn't only trade Spezza. Guys like Heatley, Kuba, perhaps even Phillips would be gone. Alfredsson would have the right to decide his fate (as does, I guess, Heater since he has a NTC).

I'd aim for Hedman and maybe even Cowen in this draft, and then Taylor Hall or Kirill Kabanov in the next one.

24Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:17 pm

asq2 wrote:
PKC wrote:
cash wrote:

Surely you jest.

In a full re-build, the players with the best age/potential combination should be the ones you keep, and apart maybe from Karlsson there isn't a player in the organization with a better combination of that than Spezza.

I'd trade him in a full re-build, but I wouldn't only trade Spezza. Guys like Heatley, Kuba, perhaps even Phillips would be gone. Alfredsson would have the right to decide his fate (as does, I guess, Heater since he has a NTC).

I'd aim for Hedman and maybe even Cowen in this draft, and then Taylor Hall or Kirill Kabanov in the next one.

Young guys still need some guidance, and a full rebuild would require some vets here. Having no leadership or a lack of it is exactly why Ottawa is in a tough spot now with a young team.

That would be making the same mistake twice.

25Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:21 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:
asq2 wrote:
PKC wrote:
cash wrote:

Surely you jest.

Young guys still need some guidance, and a full rebuild would require some vets here. Having no leadership or a lack of it is exactly why Ottawa is in a tough spot now with a young team.

I didn't say get rid of all the old guys.

The thing is, though, if you want to get new, elite talent into the orgnization, you're probably going to have to lose to do it.

I'd ideally keep Alfredsson, court Ohlund etc. as examples, but guys like Heatley and others can go.

Basically, my point is I wouldn't just trade Spezza.

26Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:28 pm

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
asq2 wrote:
PKC wrote:
cash wrote:

Surely you jest.

I didn't say get rid of all the old guys.

The thing is, though, if you want to get new, elite talent into the orgnization, you're probably going to have to lose to do it.

I'd ideally keep Alfredsson, court Ohlund etc. as examples, but guys like Heatley and others can go.

Basically, my point is I wouldn't just trade Spezza.

Depends,if you get a solid return for Spezza, sign a number 1ish-2nd line center to play with Heatley, make it a little more even blanced and a more responsible team, they can compete in the East again next year.

I dont think this team needs to go into a full out rebuild, but if they did, I dont think it would that bad either. Im on the fence.

27Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:

But seriously guys...

Both Poni and Antro are effective penalty killers.

Finally, Poni (23 pts) and Antropov (26 pts.) are doing just fine... WAY better than Fisher (11 pts.) and Vermette (6 pts.)

They are also both ahead of their career average so far this year. Matt Stajan is their center this year.

As I have pointed out for years now, Toronto players get undervalued because Toronto is the most hated team. There is no evidence whatsoever that suggests that Vermette and Fisher are better than Antro and Poni... and Antro and Poni are considerably cheaper (Antro will get a raise *somewhere* next season).

Therefore... my arguement stands. If I suggested Antro and Poni for Bouwmeester and Horton, I would be laughed right off this site... so I think some people here need to reassess the trade value of *their* players.

28Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

MurderOnIce wrote:
Fair enough though. Aetherial has some valid points... Although I would happily not trade Vermette and Fisher for Annie and her Pony. Vermette has always had potential meaning he hasn't done anything so unless JM really does have a man crush on him he ain't worth much. Fisher on the other hand I would disagree with. He is more of a Gary Roberts type who is always in demand. There are 29 other GMs that would put him in their line-up immediately.

... not at that price. Also Gary Roberts had considerably more offensive prowess.

29Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:12 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I will just say that if it's true that Horton has said he'll retire before playing another season with the Panthers then his value is not going to be as high as his point production and first line potential would indicate.

- Unknown Author

30Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:46 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I will just say that if it's true that Horton has said he'll retire before playing another season with the Panthers then his value is not going to be as high as his point production and first line potential would indicate.

I can see your point here, but if he is shopped, his *value* is going to be determined by what the other guy is going to pay... regardless of what Horton said.

In other words, he won't go cheap because a team has the Panthers over a barrel in discussions. He'll cost something significant because he would be very much in demand on the open market.

31Some trade value reality - Page 2 Empty Re: Some trade value reality Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Aetherial wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I will just say that if it's true that Horton has said he'll retire before playing another season with the Panthers then his value is not going to be as high as his point production and first line potential would indicate.

I can see your point here, but if he is shopped, his *value* is going to be determined by what the other guy is going to pay... regardless of what Horton said.

In other words, he won't go cheap because a team has the Panthers over a barrel in discussions. He'll cost something significant because he would be very much in demand on the open market.

Horton will get a very nice return, simply because of the bidding war that will go on... I think the panthers could come out of it looking pretty good...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum