GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jeffrey Simpson Globe and Mail Article

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jeffrey Simpson Globe and Mail Article Empty Jeffrey Simpson Globe and Mail Article Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:11 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I just sat down to read the Globe and Mail and noticed what I was sure was a well-informed article on the collapse of the Ottawa Senators.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081124.wspt_sens24/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Unfortunately, it was nothing of the sort. Patrick Eaves serviceable but Peter Schaefer not serviceable? Alex Auld a back-up goaltender (Yeah, I know he is career-wise, but at the moment, he certainly isn't)? Filip Kuba a #6 defenceman? Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov signed to huge contracts? Poor drafting history? Nothing to show for the Martin Havlat trade?

This is a pretty good example of the general hockey world's conception of Ottawa: excessively negative and largley uninformed. 🇳🇴

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I stopped reading somewhere after the first paragraph. It's unfortunately evident that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm almost sure he mentioned somewhere that the Senators lacked size...sigh. That says it all right there.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

It does pose an interesting idea though (albeit one I'd previously entertained).

Should the Senators try to lure Yzerman into the General Manager position? Granted, I've been a fan of most of Murray's work.

4Jeffrey Simpson Globe and Mail Article Empty Re: Jeffrey Simpson Globe and Mail Article Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:41 pm

Yzerman would be great, but I would want him to work with Murray for a year or two. BM has been around the block, just like Bowman, and would be an incredible asset to a young GM trying to make his way. I doubt it would happen, but it would be exciting to see.

(article was trash, but what else would you expect from the Globe and Mail...)

5Jeffrey Simpson Globe and Mail Article Empty Re: Jeffrey Simpson Globe and Mail Article Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:15 am

cash wrote:Yzerman would be great, but I would want him to work with Murray for a year or two. BM has been around the block, just like Bowman, and would be an incredible asset to a young GM trying to make his way. I doubt it would happen, but it would be exciting to see.

(article was trash, but what else would you expect from the Globe and Mail...)

I'm down with this idea of bringing in a young dynamic guy like Yzerman. He could apprentice under Murray who has a wealth of experience.

That's about the only worthwhile thing about this whole piece.

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

It's funny that Murray gets bashed so much when he has only been on the ob for just over a year. It takes time to undo someone's mistakes, and there were may mistakes to be undone. Most of this article was complete crap, but he was right, we essentially got $h!t for Havlat. We should have received a package similar to what Atlanta got for Hossa.

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

mojo1016 wrote:It's funny that Murray gets bashed so much when he has only been on the ob for just over a year. It takes time to undo someone's mistakes, and there were may mistakes to be undone. Most of this article was complete crap, but he was right, we essentially got $h!t for Havlat. We should have received a package similar to what Atlanta got for Hossa.

what DID we het for Havlat again? Preissing & Hennessey right? wasn't there something else? A box of 70's era Jock straps?

I still cring when I think of that trade. To think Muckler got cold feet on his first deal with Halvat at the trade deadline the year before with florida.
Havlat, Phillips, Pick for Luongo.... :pale:

I love Phillips and all but DAMN!

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

He's not giving the Senators a lot of credit, specifically to some of our "pluggers".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum