GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chinese Democracy

+4
The Silfer Server
Cronie
mattshock
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oh speaking of nostalgia, do any of you remember an awesome (awesome being used mainly because as a 10 yr old, I'd NEVER seen anything like them before) group by the name of Gwar?!?!

Man, I was going through my CD binder with a bunch of unlabeled mix cd's I had burnt over the years and came across a Gwar track (there only charting hit I think) with "Sick of you." I was laughing like a hyenna ALL the way to work this morning!!

17Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

I was as pessimistic about this album as anyone before I heard it. But I was pretty surprised when I heard it. It`s actually pretty good, it just took too long to come out.

18Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

mojo1016 wrote:I was as pessimistic about this album as anyone before I heard it. But I was pretty surprised when I heard it. It`s actually pretty good, it just took too long to come out.

Seeing how fickle some music listeners can be, I wonder how many so-called fans just lost complete and utter interest because this album was mirred in production purgatory for so long?

19Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Has anyone had an advance listen to the new Guns 'N Roses disc? We're all in that age bracket I presume and I want to know if I should buy it.

I've read two 5 star reviews (out of 5), so, I might be inclined to pick it up.

Anyone?

Ive got the album if you need it Heater

Personally, I am disappointed in it, especially after such a long wait. I'd a big fan of the old GNR, I even saw them with Metallica and Faith No More. AWESOME.

Holy Dung, Faith no More. Epic man, epic. Smile

One of my all time faves! So good and so underrated! There is MUCH more to this band than Epic, although it is a great song! Funny thing is there was a feud born out of that song between Faith No More front man, Mike Patton, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers front man, Anthony Kiedis. Rumour has it Kiedis thought Patton was mocking him with his vocal style in the song Epic. Turns out he wasn't but Kiedis was too much of a junkie to let it go. Patton was so amused by this that it got to the point where he and his band mates dressed up as the RHCP one Halloween to mock them properly.

As for GNR, I lost interest in them in the mid 90's. They've become a novelty, nothing more. I read a biography on Motley Crue a few years ago and a few times in the book they talk about how Axle wanted to fight Vince Neil, and Neil accepted, but on 2 differet ocations Axle was a no show. What a douchetard!

20Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well put SNuh.
I ALWAYS felt Axl was a pre-madonna and CERTAINLY overrated.
What drew me to GNR was NOT his lyrics or his singing, that much I can tell you.

Axl can only fight women, and Vince Neil in his heyday looked PRETTY close to a bloody woman, but still... LOL...
Seriously, take a GOOD look at the cover of "Shout at the Devil." It's eerie, isn't it?! LOL

21Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:42 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
dirtydirtynorth wrote:
Are you against downloading it and then judging for yourself. That's actually what I usually do. I download an album, if I like it, i buy it. I can give you some websites if you are interested.

Dammit all to heck, why did I buy it?

Are you talking about a torrent site?

Yeah, there is one I use, (mininova.org) i've never had a problem with it. Remember, it's only illegal if you upload.

22Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Snuh wrote:
504Heater wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Has anyone had an advance listen to the new Guns 'N Roses disc? We're all in that age bracket I presume and I want to know if I should buy it.

I've read two 5 star reviews (out of 5), so, I might be inclined to pick it up.

Anyone?

Ive got the album if you need it Heater

Personally, I am disappointed in it, especially after such a long wait. I'd a big fan of the old GNR, I even saw them with Metallica and Faith No More. AWESOME.

Holy Dung, Faith no More. Epic man, epic. Smile

One of my all time faves! So good and so underrated! There is MUCH more to this band than Epic, although it is a great song! Funny thing is there was a feud born out of that song between Faith No More front man, Mike Patton, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers front man, Anthony Kiedis. Rumour has it Kiedis thought Patton was mocking him with his vocal style in the song Epic. Turns out he wasn't but Kiedis was too much of a junkie to let it go. Patton was so amused by this that it got to the point where he and his band mates dressed up as the RHCP one Halloween to mock them properly.

As for GNR, I lost interest in them in the mid 90's. They've become a novelty, nothing more. I read a biography on Motley Crue a few years ago and a few times in the book they talk about how Axle wanted to fight Vince Neil, and Neil accepted, but on 2 differet ocations Axle was a no show. What a douchetard!

Yeah, Axl is a douche. The concert I saw them at, was the restart of the tour. They had that show in Montreal where Hetfield got burned and Axl walked off stage, starting a riot. The show I went to was the first show on the restart of that tour. James sang but John Marshall filled in for him on guitar. Anyway, back to Axl, he joked several times at that show how we ought to riot. He's an egomaniac. Unbelievable show though, as all 3 bands really gave a great show.

23Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:43 pm

dirtydirtynorth wrote:
504Heater wrote:
dirtydirtynorth wrote:
Are you against downloading it and then judging for yourself. That's actually what I usually do. I download an album, if I like it, i buy it. I can give you some websites if you are interested.

Yeah, there is one I use, (mininova.org) i've never had a problem with it. Remember, it's only illegal if you upload.

Torrents are lame. There's a much better, safer way. msg me, and I'll enlighten those who has no clue.

24Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:50 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock34 wrote:
dirtydirtynorth wrote:
504Heater wrote:
dirtydirtynorth wrote:

Torrents are lame. There's a much better, safer way. msg me, and I'll enlighten those who has no clue.

I've never had a problem with torrents. No viruses, and they are quick for me... I barely even watch cable anymore, rather just watch it commercial free the next day... I used to use Limewire, but that's a pain in the Donkey, I'd rather listen to a whole album instead, hopefully find some gems. But i'll message you none the less, you have tickled my fancy as those Brits say.

25Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:53 pm

dirtydirtynorth wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:
dirtydirtynorth wrote:
504Heater wrote:
dirtydirtynorth wrote:

I've never had a problem with torrents. No viruses, and they are quick for me... I barely even watch cable anymore, rather just watch it commercial free the next day... I used to use Limewire, but that's a pain in the Donkey, I'd rather listen to a whole album instead, hopefully find some gems. But i'll message you none the less, you have tickled my fancy as those Brits say.

I've just heard of too many stories of people having bad experiences. I've never used them personally, but people i know have. Obviously, it's going to go just fine for most. I just prefer the method I use.

26Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Speaking of Chinese Democracy, I ran into a unrelased bootleg of GNR called Unwanted Illusions. It's a compilation of stuff that didn't make those albums, as well as some live Dung. It's pretty sweet.

27Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:07 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

On the topic of old singers new music, anyone liking the new stuff from Chris Cornell? I'm not a huge fan of his new stuff but i went to his concert last week in London and what a show he put on.

28Chinese Democracy - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese Democracy Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Guys,
I don't think any album could live up to a 17 year hype- especially when we're talking about GNR and all the fantastic albums they've put out (Appetite for Destruction is probably one of the best, if not THE best album in the 80s AND 90s together).

However, with that aside- this is a fairly solid album in my opinion. The first few tracks are real good- my personal fave is "Better". There's a lot of spiced up piano ballads and slow rock tunes in the middle, but scattered through the woodwork there's some beauties in there too.

Final word- it's not going to live up to the ridiculous hype it created for itself, but it's still a good album that I'd recommend for GNR fans. It's just good to hear Axl wailing again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum