GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

weird question

+3
shabbs
mattshock
Cronie
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

mattshock wrote:It's not for me at work, but at home it is. (at least it was last night)

All browsers. (FF, IE, Chrome)

At your work it comes up black text?

17weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 am

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:Another question would be:

Is the text in threads etc. still coming up green for everyone?

Whoa, that's another thing and i'm glad you mentioned it.

I use firefox at home and the text for the thread titles and such STILL comes up green; but I CAN see the banner.

Here at work (where I'm stuck using IE7) the text is black, but I cannot see the banner. It's there, but it's like the screen cuts it off...
It's frustrating as hell!

18weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:37 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Okay, maybe I'll look into it at some point today. There must be a reason it's snot green - Mozilla probably.

19weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:38 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Okay, maybe I'll look into it at some point today. There must be a reason it's snot green - Mozilla probably.

Well i'm using Firefox and it has now gone back to black... I like it...

20weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:51 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
mattshock wrote:It's not for me at work, but at home it is. (at least it was last night)

All browsers. (FF, IE, Chrome)

At your work it comes up black text?

Yeah.

I get the best of both worlds at work (well, almost).

1) I see the banner
2) The text is black
3) But most of the buttons (Home/FaQ/Search/Memberlist) images don't show up. I just get the Red "image failed to load" X-box.

21weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

smash88 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Okay, maybe I'll look into it at some point today. There must be a reason it's snot green - Mozilla probably.

Well i'm using Firefox and it has now gone back to black... I like it...

Yeah! Whatever Clutch did, it's good now. Can we do italics now that the green is gone?

Let's find out.

22weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yay! Italics!

23weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:53 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can stop DOING THIS from time to time. Smile

24weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

mattshock wrote:I didn't get the reference, but the I Googled it.

The closest software-related nickname for myself I came up with is Matlab. Anyone besides us engineering types have the pleasure of that little suite?

Well, in my current job I am looking at incorporating NetCDF data (from meteorological models) into ArcMap and creating an animation track from the timesteps. Trouble is, the model uses a rotated coordinate grid which I'm not even sure is supported in NetCDF, and I'm pretty definitely sure it isnot supported by ArcMap. But the scientists upstairs claim that they can load it up in Matlab and even produce the desired animations.

Confused? You should be, because I certainly am.

As for "cronjob" it refers to a background task (job) scheduled in a cron table and run by the cron daemon in a unix environment. Cron is obviously the (Greek?) prefix meaning time. The command to edit the cron table is, simply, cron.

Which reminds me of a story.

We had this co-op student who, just before finishing his term decided to leave his manager a little going away present. With a little help from me he added a cron job which would play the sound clip "sally.au" (from When Harry Met Sally -- the restaurant faux-gasm) every morning at precisely 9 AM. The manager did not know enough about Unix and could not figure it out, eventually coming to me for help. I told him *exactly* what to do to edit the cron table and remove the sally line. Instead, he simply removed the cron table file. Now, this is probably a bug that has since been fixed, but the cron daemon, not finding any cron file to look for changes, interpreted that as not having any changes to the list of scheduled jobs it obviously held in memory. So the result was that Sally continued to moan every morning at 9 AM, except that now there was no way to turn her off (remember, Unix does not have a Trash can to recover deleted files). I had to try and recreate the original cron file exactly as it had been, which would have been difficult to do, had I not helped the co-op in the first place. Of course that meant that I had to come clean and tell the guy (who was also my manager) that I might have had something to do with it in the first place.

25weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:54 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
mattshock wrote:I didn't get the reference, but the I Googled it.

The closest software-related nickname for myself I came up with is Matlab. Anyone besides us engineering types have the pleasure of that little suite?

Well, in my current job I am looking at incorporating NetCDF data (from meteorological models) into ArcMap and creating an animation track from the timesteps. Trouble is, the model uses a rotated coordinate grid which I'm not even sure is supported in NetCDF, and I'm pretty definitely sure it isnot supported by ArcMap. But the scientists upstairs claim that they can load it up in Matlab and even produce the desired animations.

Confused? You should be, because I certainly am.

As for "cronjob" it refers to a background task (job) scheduled in a cron table and run by the cron daemon in a unix environment. Cron is obviously the (Greek?) prefix meaning time. The command to edit the cron table is, simply, cron.

Which reminds me of a story.

We had this co-op student who, just before finishing his term decided to leave his manager a little going away present. With a little help from me he added a cron job which would play the sound clip "sally.au" (from When Harry Met Sally -- the restaurant faux-gasm) every morning at precisely 9 AM. The manager did not know enough about Unix and could not figure it out, eventually coming to me for help. I told him *exactly* what to do to edit the cron table and remove the sally line. Instead, he simply removed the cron table file. Now, this is probably a bug that has since been fixed, but the cron daemon, not finding any cron file to look for changes, interpreted that as not having any changes to the list of scheduled jobs it obviously held in memory. So the result was that Sally continued to moan every morning at 9 AM, except that now there was no way to turn her off (remember, Unix does not have a Trash can to recover deleted files). I had to try and recreate the original cron file exactly as it had been, which would have been difficult to do, had I not helped the co-op in the first place. Of course that meant that I had to come clean and tell the guy (who was also my manager) that I might have had something to do with it in the first place.

Haha!! That's funny. The best I ever did was write *.bat that would perma-lock FF's homepage to meatspin. (change from user setting to locked). Unless you knew what you were doing a little bit you wouldn't be able to change it.

That was my pride and joy from first year.

26weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:As for "cronjob" it refers to a background task (job) scheduled in a cron table and run by the cron daemon in a unix environment. Cron is obviously the (Greek?) prefix meaning time. The command to edit the cron table is, simply, cron.
Actually, "cron" is the daemon that executes the scheduled jobs. To edit the schedule, you use the command "crontab" with the "-e" command line option.

Smile

27weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

You are all geeks.
And I say that with pure admiration.

I need to learn Unix....

28weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:As for "cronjob" it refers to a background task (job) scheduled in a cron table and run by the cron daemon in a unix environment. Cron is obviously the (Greek?) prefix meaning time. The command to edit the cron table is, simply, cron.
Actually, "cron" is the daemon that executes the scheduled jobs. To edit the schedule, you use the command "crontab" with the "-e" command line option.

Smile

Sorry, when they promote you to manager you have to submit to a lobotomy. I guess when they were in there they snipped a little too much.

Actually, all I had to do was close my eyes and type the command with my fingers -- I would have instantly remembered it was crontab -e, not cron -e.

At least I spelled daemon correctly, and I didn't mispronounce it as "day-mon" like I've heard some Waterloosers do.

29weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Sorry, when they promote you to manager you have to submit to a lobotomy. I guess when they were in there they snipped a little too much.

Actually, all I had to do was close my eyes and type the command with my fingers -- I would have instantly remembered it was crontab -e, not cron -e.

At least I spelled daemon correctly, and I didn't mispronounce it as "day-mon" like I've heard some Waterloosers do.
HA HA!

30weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:You are all geeks.

I need to learn Unix....

Here you go, a one-liner lesson in Unix:

unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; sleep

31weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:57 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Smile

Sorry, when they promote you to manager you have to submit to a lobotomy. I guess when they were in there they snipped a little too much.

I take personal offense to that!!

...but yes, we in Waterloo pronounce it Day-Mon Tools! (even though I've been using PowerISO for the last while, better support for different image types).

32weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:58 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
Acrobat wrote:You are all geeks.

I need to learn Unix....

Here you go, a one-liner lesson in Unix:

unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; sleep
HA HA! Nicely done...

See... UNIX is fun.

Wink

33weird question - Page 2 Empty Re: weird question Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

mattshock wrote:I take personal offense to that!!

...but yes, we in Waterloo pronounce it Day-Mon Tools! (even though I've been using PowerISO for the last while, better support for different image types).

Well, in that case:

Q: How many Waterloo Grads does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Only one, but he gets a full credit for it.

P.S. That's adapted from a McGill Engineering joke

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum