GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gainey wants to limit shot blocking

+6
wprager
shabbs
PKC
Hayden
Acrobat
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:28 pm

I was listening to XM204 and they were reporting that one of the developments of the the GM meetings was that Bob Gainey wanted to put some rules in place to prohibit players from blocking so many shots. One of his idea's was to have a rule that forces a player to keep at least one skate on the ice at all times while blocking a shot. This, he says would prohibit players using thier whole body to slide across the ice and block a shot or pass. Gainey feels this would increase scoring.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. Why don't we just play 6 on 6 and no goalies from now on. There has to be a limit to how much the league caters to offense.

2Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Really? Why would Gainey care if there's more scoring? I don't get his angle on this one - shut up would be my angle.

3Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Did he really mean it? or was he being facetious?

He built his career on defensive hockey; he built his team the same way. It would be ludicrous to think he's now changing his tune that much. Unless he really thinks Price is the next coming...

4Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:16 pm

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

His coach was one of the best sliding shot blockers ever.

5Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:50 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Gainey can go fly a kite.

6Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Acrobat wrote:Did he really mean it? or was he being facetious?

He built his career on defensive hockey; he built his team the same way. It would be ludicrous to think he's now changing his tune that much. Unless he really thinks Price is the next coming...

You're right. Even the commentators discussing it were wondering why Gainey of all people would propose this. I guess he wants his high-flying Habs to be a little more high-flying.

He apparently (according to the radio) made a proposal at the meetings, so I doubt it was facetious.

7Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:27 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I also doubt it gets any real attention or consideration.

8Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:38 pm

shabbs wrote:I also doubt it gets any real attention or consideration.

Agreed. It's somewhat out there.

9Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Having said that, they seem to be giving an inordinate amount of consideration to changing the net size (changing the post thickness is one thing, but size? or shape? Don't touch my game, thank you very much.)

10Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:21 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:Really? Why would Gainey care if there's more scoring? I don't get his angle on this one - shut up would be my angle.

I really, really respect Gainey. But I'm scratching my head on this one.

11Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:Having said that, they seem to be giving an inordinate amount of consideration to changing the net size (changing the post thickness is one thing, but size? or shape? Don't touch my game, thank you very much.)

Actually, depending on how it's done, it may be worth something. Consider the average size of goalies from the 50s. Think of the whole picture -- not just the height/weight but the outline, if you will. With changes in equipment and a huge bias toward larger players, I'd bet the "free space" (defined as the total area of the goal, less the area of the goaltender's outline (below the crossbar only, of course) is a significant drop, percentage wise. It may not be a bad idea to raise the crossbar and widen the posts an inch or so. Not a lot, though. Same thing could (should?) be done to the rink itself. Players are bigger and faster, significantly so, but the size of the rink remains the same. The ice just seems to be crowded, players get hurt. But you'd either have to remove some seats or build 30 new arenas -- not going to happen.

12Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The rink size I can agree with changing and the equipment size shrinking as well. I just can't get past changing the size of the nets. I don't have a sound arguement for it I just don't like the idea. Rink size will probably never change because it means taking away gate revenue. Equipment size could and should shrink even more with advancement in technology.

- Unknown Author

13Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:48 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Make the equipment out of this.

Could be interesting. :lol!:

14Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:19 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's truly bizarre coming from Gainey. And he has a great Hockey IQ and I can't help but look up to him and respect him for all of his feats and achievements, but this suggestion reeks of arse-kissing to Bettman to further games of 9-4 or 12-6...

The scary thing is, Bettman would LOVE to do this... Limit shot-blocking and further reduce the size of goalie gear and just for good measure, increase the size of the nets and shrink the crease...
LOL

15Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Empty Re: Gainey wants to limit shot blocking Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why don't they make it no contact as well? That should increase scoring. squirrel Sorry but this idea is worthy of the Monkey!!

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum