GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Am I Listening to Right now?

+31
wprager
Hoags
Flo The Action
Riprock
stempniaksen
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
sens4win
Vandelay
KidKarlsson
Jordo
LethalLehner
Bramlet07
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
LeCaptain
spader
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
pgood
Snuh
Cronie
beedub
SensGirl11
Hayden
smash88
Cap'n Clutch
mattshock
PTFlea
shabbs
TheAvatar
PKC
35 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 25]

256What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:13 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:Rooney, you listen to any Kaki King or Justin King (I noticed the one video had the drum, slap and tap style).

Never heard of either of them, but I will look them up this week.

I am basically a big fan of just about anyone recording with Candyrat Records lately -- so many incredible guitar players. What has happened to the acoustic guitar since Don Ross has been remarkable. If you like this kind of stuff, here's the show for you: http://www.canadianguitarfestival.com/.

Is Chet Atkins on that label?

Haven't heard of him, yet.

257What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:I'm not saying rock is going anywhere but electronic is absolutely the future of music if it isn't already.

As for the "non-musicians" that's suuuuuch an uninformed and fairly uneducated comment. Take Arty who I posted above, listen to his songs, it's all based off of his classical musical trainign on the piano. Listen to the piano/key board, amazing and takes a talented musician to create that kind of music. He then takes that same melody and minipulates it with other intraments. He will then "push play" when he performs live but it's still his own music.

As a guy who has played guitar for 20 years, and who has played in about 10 bands, and played literally 100s of live shows... yeah, definitely not ignorant or uninformed or uneducated when it comes to the matter. If you don't play a musical instrument, you are not a musician. Full stop.

You can be a song writer, or a mixer, or a splicer, or whatever else you want to call it, but you're not a musician. I don't know who Arty is, but if he plays his own instruments, then he's a musician. If he turns a turntable, he's a bunch of interesting things, and he does a bunch of interesting things, but he's not a musician anymore than an anthology compiler is an author or a TV 'clipman' is a writer.

There is a place for electronic, and there is a market for it, and that's cool. They can even be good song writers and composers and whatever else you want to call them. But musicians are people who play musical instruments, just as writers write and painters paint.

Just to be a bit of a devil's advocate, Beethoven was nearly totally deaf and continued to write music. Without being able to heard the music externally he had no use for playing an instrument. He composed in his mind. I guess you could say, then, that his mind was the musical instrument, but then the "producers" are composing in their minds and then performing using their chosen instruments.

It's funny, I was thinking of LVB as I was writing that. Out of this world composer, but not a musician. The distinction is important, and we're used to celebrating people who do both at once (compose, play).

258What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:Rooney, you listen to any Kaki King or Justin King (I noticed the one video had the drum, slap and tap style).

I am basically a big fan of just about anyone recording with Candyrat Records lately -- so many incredible guitar players. What has happened to the acoustic guitar since Don Ross has been remarkable. If you like this kind of stuff, here's the show for you: http://www.canadianguitarfestival.com/.

You, sir, are a blasphemer.

259What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

No, just a bit too busy to be able to listen to as much new music as I'd like. I still know albums that I listened to as a teenager much, much better than any album I've heard since, oh, entering grad school. Your world shrinks as you get older, in a way.

260What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Chet Atkins is classic dude. Pre-Knopfler. That's who MArk pretty much idolized, him and Les Paul. Finger picking. I don't listen to his music, but I've certainly listened to it through people who have been influenced by his play.

261What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:Oh, and Manelli Jamal is also a really good *new* finger-style player. Came across him randomly on youtube.

One of many guys now on the Candyrat Records label. Just found him myself this month. He's playing in Kingston next month.

Small world. I've only heard a few things on youtube.

262What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

No, just a bit too busy to be able to listen to as much new music as I'd like. I still know albums that I listened to as a teenager much, much better than any album I've heard since, oh, entering grad school. Your world shrinks as you get older, in a way.

just messin' The Chetster is long dead but he was a legendary guitarist:

263What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:Chet Atkins is classic dude. Pre-Knopfler. That's who MArk pretty much idolized, him and Les Paul. Finger picking. I don't listen to his music, but I've certainly listened to it through people who have been influenced by his play.

What's the opposite of a "senior moment"? I think Rooney just had one.

264What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Riprock wrote:Chet Atkins is classic dude. Pre-Knopfler. That's who MArk pretty much idolized, him and Les Paul. Finger picking. I don't listen to his music, but I've certainly listened to it through people who have been influenced by his play.

What's the opposite of a "senior moment"? I think Rooney just had one.

Still no idea who that is, and I consider myself a big-time guitar guy. Chuck Berry is about as far as I go back. Watching that video, it looks like Van Halen learned something from this Atkins fellow, tho'.

265What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:02 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Saw this posted on Facebook. What the Diddle is this Dung?

(I know it's a mosh pit. I just think this is Cussed).

266What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Vertigo

This is what aerobics would have been if it was started by men.

267What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:Saw this posted on Facebook. What the Diddle is this Dung?

The leaders of tomorrow.

268What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:

The leaders of tomorrow.

Thankfully a lot of them will have killed or been killed being idiots.

269What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:59 pm

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

You thought dubstep was bad, this is what I caught my younger brother listening to.

270What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:21 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Metalcore... madness...

271What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Who doesn't like the 80s!?!?!?

272What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Man, Vice City MJ

273What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 18 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

any country fans?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 25]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum