GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+2
Ev
wprager
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Tarasenko-Norris-Batherson
Kubalik-Pinto-Joseph
Smejkal-Kastelic-MacEwen
Sokolov

Chychrun-Chabot
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic
JBD

That’s a good looking lineup. Obviously one player might be traded to bring in pinto though

There are definitely some options. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bottom six that includes some form or Jarventie, Sokolov, Smejkal, Greig, Pinto, Kastelic, Kubalik. I think MacEwen becomes our 13th forward and everyone I listed is having a better camp than Kelly who we probably wouldn't lose on waivers

If DJ is serious about listening to analytics and "changing" then he should consider icing a lineup that's different than the one that hasn't made the playoffs for 6 years

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sokolov has shown nothing to suggest he’ll be in the lineup. He’s the extra forward at best IMO.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Sokolov has shown nothing to suggest he’ll be in the lineup. He’s the extra forward at best IMO.

Surprised you put him in *your* lineup (even as a F13).

Meanwhile Sens twitter is becoming a cesspool again. People just love to focus on the negatives and completely ignore the strides made. Yes, we would be better with Pinto at 3C instead of Greig (or Jarventie) but as long as Norris stays healthy that's still night and day from last year:

Norris will replace ADB's goal total *and* play better defence.
Batherson wasn't fully over his ankle injury until late; he's flying now.
Stutzle is still on an upward trajectory.
Full season of Chychrun replacing Zaitsev.
Tarasenko and Kubalik over Brassard, Motte.
Probably better tandem and if they stay healthy a huge upgrade over playing 7 last year.

Not a fan of MacEwen and Bailey but hopefully they'll see there's no room for Bailey and Mac will not dress (up?) for 75 games like Watson did last year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Sokolov has shown nothing to suggest he’ll be in the lineup. He’s the extra forward at best IMO.

Surprised you put him in *your* lineup (even as a F13).

Meanwhile Sens twitter is becoming a cesspool again.  People just love to focus on the negatives and completely ignore the strides made.  Yes, we would be better with Pinto at 3C instead of Greig (or Jarventie) but as long as Norris stays healthy that's still night and day from last year:

Norris will replace ADB's goal total *and* play better defence.
Batherson wasn't fully over his ankle injury until late; he's flying now.
Stutzle is still on an upward trajectory.
Full season of Chychrun replacing Zaitsev.
Tarasenko and Kubalik over Brassard, Motte.
Probably better tandem and if they stay healthy a huge upgrade over playing 7 last year.

Not a fan of MacEwen and Bailey but hopefully they'll see there's no room for Bailey and Mac will not dress (up?) for 75 games like Watson did last year.

Yeah, pinto has no leverage. Sens can slide Jarventie or Greig in the lineup if they need to. I expect he’ll sign before the season for sure though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Too bad they eliminated performance bonuses (RFA would only be eligible if they are 26 or under and have played 25 or fewer games the previous year). Otherwise they could have given him easy-to-achieve performance bonuses which would could be carried over to the following season's cap.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Am I the only one concerned that our 2C hasn't played a game yet and our 3C isn't signed? Sure, Jarventie and Greig can plug and play short term but they're not full time NHL players yet. Good pre seasons but they're also playing against other teams'pre season lineups too

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I’m not concerned about Norris, preseason is meaningless and he’s cleared for all action

Pittsburgh basically iced their whole team tonight

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sokolov and JBD on waivers. I don’t think anyone will claim them

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think JBD will

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think JBD will

He has a two year one way contract. I dont see it. Regardless, would be another no big loss.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Agreed. Just want this Dorion draft narrative to end. He's not a good drafter outside the top 5

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Agreed. Just want this Dorion draft narrative to end. He's not a good drafter outside the top 5

Again, the guy responsible for drafting was fired (yet sens fans seem to think he’s a genius or some Dung). Dorion was responsible for drafting up until 2015.

The 2020 draft was insane though, too to bottom, with only one obvious pick.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think without a POHO (to shield him from a meddling owner) or experienced AGM Dorion had way too much on his plate to be involved in assessing draft picks or prospects. Mistakes were made, for sure, and those that made the mistakes are (mostly) gone. You can certainly argue that Dorion is not the man for the job going forward but you can't blame the poor drafting solely on him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I think without a POHO (to shield him from a meddling owner) or experienced AGM Dorion had way too much on his plate to be involved in assessing draft picks or prospects.  Mistakes were made, for sure, and those that made the mistakes are (mostly) gone.  You can certainly argue that Dorion is not the man for the job going forward but you can't blame the poor drafting solely on him.

Oh I don’t expect him to be GM past this year by any means

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My god how do fans not understand that somebody like macewen isn’t competing for a spot in preseason? He has a spot locked up. It would be in the regular season where he would lose his spot if he doesn’t perform.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I think without a POHO (to shield him from a meddling owner) or experienced AGM Dorion had way too much on his plate to be involved in assessing draft picks or prospects.  Mistakes were made, for sure, and those that made the mistakes are (mostly) gone.  You can certainly argue that Dorion is not the man for the job going forward but you can't blame the poor drafting solely on him.

Sens need to make playoffs for dorion to stay. Even then they'd have to at least make it a 6 game series if they're not going to win a round.

This pinto situation is a mess. So is having $5M on unusable cap space. He'll get pinto signed. But this shouldn't be that difficult

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:

Sens need to make playoffs for dorion to stay. Even then they'd have to at least make it a 6 game series if they're not going to win a round.

This pinto situation is a mess. So is having $5M on unusable cap space. He'll get pinto signed. But this shouldn't be that difficult

The problem is pintos camp is overvaluing his worth on on a one year deal

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I understand why Dorion doesn't want to give him $2.5M on a one year deal. Replacing MacEwen and Kelly with Greig and Smejkal will actually *reduce* their available cap space -- Sens twitter doesn't appear to understand that. With the recent demotions of JBD and Sokolov they have $1.7M for Pinto. That would represent a 28% raise, but it would be a lowball offer for a 20-goal scoring rookie.

But he's got no leverage and could be replaced with Greig making about half that. If Norris is healthy that is doable (but not great for the long term).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum