GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+8
Vandelay
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Flo The Action
tim1_2
wprager
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I listened to this interview with Tony deangelo and man, he is one of the best interviews I’ve ever heard in the nhl. Guy is clearly intelligent about the game and is a great speaker. Would have loved to grab him.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3dhTHvsJC5q8sqaA0Dr4Bd?si=nG6liWQ7SWmSrdAtqI6MKA

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Apparently the "racial slurs" incident from junior were actually *ethnic* slurs directed at (I didn't see confirmation of this) a team mate of Italian descent. Apparently he still remains friends with that former team mate. It was some fan-site blogger who called it "racial" and it's stuck. It's ironic (to me, at least) if the part about the team mate being of Italian descent is true. While I understand the team/league stepping in and disciplining him for it, if one Italian calls another Italian a "WOP" or something similar is it that much of a big deal? Certainly can't call someone a racist because of that. And as for the K'Andre Miller allegations pretty much every one (GM, other players, Miller's agent) categorically denied there was *anything* there at all. DeAngelo is right-leaning and supported Trump (as did nearly half the country) and the rest appears to have been mostly made up by the media.

One of the dads for a kid in a hockey camp DeAngelo runs said "The person I read about and the person I know, they are different people."

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm sure it's all overblown. Hockey's a weird sport. Players are held to a different standard than most other sports. I mean - look at Deshaun Watson. Teams were lining up to trade for a guy who had over 20 sexual assault claims against him.

On this topic, anyone else concerned that Batherson and Formenton have not responded or made themselves available to the hockey canada investigation? I feel like (nothing more than personal opinion) Formenton is smack dab in the middle of this.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Apparently the "racial slurs" incident from junior were actually *ethnic* slurs directed at (I didn't see confirmation of this) a team mate of Italian descent.  Apparently he still remains friends with that former team mate.  It was some fan-site blogger who called it "racial" and it's stuck.  It's ironic (to me, at least) if the part about the team mate being of Italian descent is true.  While I understand the team/league stepping in and disciplining him for it, if one Italian calls another Italian a "WOP" or something similar is it that much of a big deal?  Certainly can't call someone a racist because of that.  And as for the K'Andre Miller allegations pretty much every one (GM, other players, Miller's agent) categorically denied there was *anything* there at all.  DeAngelo is right-leaning and supported Trump (as did nearly half the country) and the rest appears to have been mostly made up by the media.

One of the dads for a kid in a hockey camp DeAngelo runs said "The person I read about and the person I know, they are different people."

I don’t think it was that. If that was the case, that’s ridiculous. But I believe I read before that is was directed at a Russian player.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm sure it's all overblown. Hockey's a weird sport. Players are held to a different standard than most other sports. I mean - look at Deshaun Watson. Teams were lining up to trade for a guy who had over 20 sexual assault claims against him.

On this topic, anyone else concerned that Batherson and Formenton have not responded or made themselves available to the hockey canada investigation? I feel like (nothing more than personal opinion) Formenton is smack dab in the middle of this.

I’m not concerned at all. By that I mean if they are found to be involved, then deal with it then. I won’t assume guilt because they haven’t said anything. I find the witch hunt silly. Also I don’t even know what would happen to the players if they are found to be involved. It’s still just an alleged incident with no criminal consequences. I’m just speaking in lawyer terms and how the nhl would view it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm sure it's all overblown. Hockey's a weird sport. Players are held to a different standard than most other sports. I mean - look at Deshaun Watson. Teams were lining up to trade for a guy who had over 20 sexual assault claims against him.

I’m not concerned at all. By that I mean if they are found to be involved, then deal with it then. I won’t assume guilt because they haven’t said anything. I find the witch hunt silly. Also I don’t even know what would happen to the players if they are found to be involved. It’s still just an alleged incident with no criminal consequences. I’m just speaking in lawyer terms and how the nhl would view it.

Im a stickler when it comes to sexual misconduct. I believe that players aren’t above any laws. But I do believe in due criminal process.

I read a few articles about this matter.
I also saw Sens fans on Twitter are all up in arms about this.
I think that’s a whole lot of reactionary attitudes at this point. Especially with what we now know.

The last bit of info is interesting.

The fact that police didn’t want to press any charge.
The fact that there are videos of pre and post incident of the girl giving consent on what happened.

Now I want to highlight how weird I find that you would need to make a consent video. I’m out of a different generation I guess but maybe this is the reality we live in nowadays with so much happening.
Im not sure on everything that occurred but it seems like it might have been a sexual encounter between young adults that deteriorated in poor taste.
Sure there is a video of consent but it doesn’t negate the possibility of peer pressure.
But there seems to have been consent. Sorta.
This is probably why police dropped it.

Was it right? Probably not. Does the girl feel terrible about what happened? Probably.
Was it a messy affair on the part of the players? Most likely.

How bad this is regarding the players? I’m not sure how I feel about it.
I, gonna wait and see. But for the moment, knowing what I know about the texts and videos, I wouldn’t lean on the players to be penalized more than probably following prescribed courses on consent and the proper way to conduct yourself sexually and regarding women.

I personally don’t see an issue, as of now, as far as the sens need to get rid of these players.

What Austin Watson did IMO was much more worse.
And yet there he is.
Again. These boys need some proper sex education but it seems like the whole issue wasn’t black and white but lies somewhere in a gray zone.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It was consensual with one specific "John Doe" but there were other players involved, later. Some of the allegations involve verbal abuse. But sure about the extent.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

As if DeAngelo said something bad to a Russian player it was probably deserved (and I'm Russian myself).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Im a stickler when it comes to sexual misconduct. I believe that players aren’t above any laws. But I do believe in due criminal process.

I read a few articles about this matter.
I also saw Sens fans on Twitter are all up in arms about this.
I think that’s a whole lot of reactionary attitudes at this point. Especially with what we now know.

The last bit of info is interesting.

The fact that police didn’t want to press any charge.
The fact that there are videos of pre and post incident of the girl giving consent on what happened.

Now I want to highlight how weird I find that you would need to make a consent video. I’m out of a different generation I guess but maybe this is the reality we live in nowadays with so much happening.  
Im not sure on everything that occurred but it seems like it might have been a sexual encounter between young adults that deteriorated in poor taste.
Sure there is a video of consent but it doesn’t negate the possibility of peer pressure.
But there seems to have been consent. Sorta.
This is probably why police dropped it.

Was it right? Probably not. Does the girl feel terrible about what happened? Probably.
Was it a messy affair on the part of the players? Most likely.

How bad this is regarding the players? I’m not sure how I feel about it.
I, gonna wait and see. But for the moment, knowing what I know about the texts and videos, I wouldn’t lean on the players to be penalized more than probably following prescribed courses on consent and the proper way to conduct yourself sexually and regarding women.

I personally don’t see an issue, as of now, as far as the sens need to get rid of these players.

What Austin Watson did IMO was much more worse.
And yet there he is.
Again. These boys need some proper sex education but it seems like the whole issue wasn’t black and white but lies somewhere in a gray zone.

Let’s not bring up Watson. Both he and his wife had big issues and both were at fault. They have now sobered up and are much better people

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tkachuk officially says he won't sign a long-term deal with Calgary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Tkachuk officially says he won't sign a long-term deal with Calgary.

Im loving the dismantling of Calgary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:It was consensual with one specific "John Doe" but there were other players involved, later. Some of the allegations involve verbal abuse. But sure about the extent.

Actually there was another consent video after. And then the texts.
Which doesn’t necessarily mean much.
But still. This is likely a very grey zone and won’t be easily settled.

I think the leagues (NHL,CHL, USHL) need to get involved in preparing these young men to behave properly.
There’s a lack of respect and education on these matters.

Im not sure what should come of these players. I don’t think termination of contracts, bans or anything that severe will happen.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Columbus actively trying to shed salary. They've got a little over $2.3M in cap space with RFA Laine left to sign. If he signs his $7.5M QO that would put them over the cap by more than $5M. Recall they signed Gudbranson for $4M x 4 earlier in the off-season.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Columbus actively trying to shed salary.  They've got a little over $2.3M in cap space with RFA Laine left to sign.  If he signs his $7.5M QO that would put them over the cap by more than $5M.  Recall they signed Gudbranson for $4M x 4 earlier in the off-season.
I think they’re trying to move nyquist. Might have to settle for Pennie’s on the dollars.
Lots of teams trying to clear up space but not many buyers.

Seems like Dorion could take advantage of another team to fill the RHD position.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Who are you suggesting. Jake Bean ?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Who are you suggesting. Jake Bean ?

I looked at they D. Appart from werenski and gudbranson, all of their D are making under 4M a year. They would likely have to trade a couple of contracts.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

We either have to give up a lot right now or wait. If one of JBD or Thomson have a good offseason we should be alright to make it close to the deadline. 

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden

But I still think 2023 1st, Brannstrom, Formenton and a prospect should be enough to get Chychrun

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Egad. Columbus 6.5M over the cap now. Pennies on the dollar for sure

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum